Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sactowndog

Will Millenials vote

I think that you will find that about the same amount of millennial's will vote as the rest of the population.  

Statistics say that 60% of Americans vote during a presidential election and 40% of us vote during the mid terms. 

But honestly, I think those numbers are a bit high. 

latestbroncofanslogo.png.20959eb73e46249d924bc7abb968f702.png

32 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Is this the poll that was done by direct mail? They really got their target audience nailed.

Wether that poll is valid or not it is just presenting historical fact.   People in their 20's don't vote at very high rates.  People over 50 do vote at high rates.  Obama getting a high young people turnout was historically unprecedented.  Not surprising that it hasn't happened again and is very unlikely to happen in a midterm.  Which never happened even when Obama was in office.

Usually not. We will see if their Trump distaste is enough this time though. From personal experience I know a lot of people who have been more politically energized and informed thanks to their dislike of Trump, but who knows if they’ll actually show up 

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

I’ve voted in every midterm since ‘06 (i was 21) and this is the first time I can remember being able to talk to people my age and younger about it without having to first explain what a midterm is. Younger people I know are energized and registered, nearly all of them for the first time in a non-presidential election. I’m in California so I know we don’t matter but that’s my anecdotal experience. 

The democrats fiercest enemy is apathy. They need to send the message that there’s no reason to wait until 2020 to vote against Commander All-Caps. 

59 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

I’ve voted in every midterm since ‘06 (i was 21) and this is the first time I can remember being able to talk to people my age and younger about it without having to first explain what a midterm is. Younger people I know are energized and registered, nearly all of them for the first time in a non-presidential election. I’m in California so I know we don’t matter but that’s my anecdotal experience. 

The democrats fiercest enemy is apathy. They need to send the message that there’s no reason to wait until 2020 to vote against Commander All-Caps. 

Their enemy may also be geography, as you imply. Are there enough energized Democrats to vote in the places where it matters this year?

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

The age gap the article uses actually crosses two generations which most people agree on. However that age group and independent voters are always the two wildcards when it comes to election time. Again don't put much life into polls that are done.

I have seen people get energized and then not vote for whatever reason. The number of young people has been dropping since Obama was elected president. Thing is with some of the younger crowd they don't see how midterms really affect them because they are in some areas mostly state races, even though I would argue that these races have more of an impact on the person on an everyday basis than a national election, and many have absolutely no idea what is going on locally. 

This would be a group along with independents and the more moderate people from both parties that could really shake everything up sending a message to both parties. 

Overall I believe that Republicans will hold onto the house but right now I wouldn't be surprised at a 50/50 for the Senate.

On 07/22/2018 at 6:26 PM, bluerules009 said:

Wether that poll is valid or not it is just presenting historical fact.   People in their 20's don't vote at very high rates.  People over 50 do vote at high rates.  Obama getting a high young people turnout was historically unprecedented.  Not surprising that it hasn't happened again and is very unlikely to happen in a midterm.  Which never happened even when Obama was in office.

Ron Paul pulled them in too.

Blue, has there been a more useless generation in your lifetime? 

Maybe that peace and love generation that came of age during the 60' s, but. that's about it.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

13 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Maybe that peace and love generation that came of age during the 60' s, but. that's about it.

:oldman:

On 7/22/2018 at 6:26 PM, bluerules009 said:

You're right about that. But millennials aren't that young anymore. Those born in the early 1980s, when that generation more or less begins, are now in their mid-30s, with the youngest members now in their mid-20s. I don't know if that affects their turnout this time around, at least enough to make a difference. But by 2020, the vast majority of that generation will be in their 30s, and I would be surprised if that turnout rate doesn't tick up.

18 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Ummm....I'm pretty sure they're call "baby boomers".:hookah:

21 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

You're right about that. But millennials aren't that young anymore. Those born in the early 1980s, when that generation more or less begins, are now in their mid-30s, with the youngest members now in their mid-20s. I don't know if that affects their turnout this time around, at least enough to make a difference. But by 2020, the vast majority of that generation will be in their 30s, and I would be surprised if that turnout rate doesn't tick up.

It ticks up as they get older but really seems to tick up when people are in their 30's.  Yet those who are decades older still vote at significantly higher rates than those in their 30's..

http://www.electproject.org/home/voter-turnout/demographics

Turnout_by_age.png

43 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I think all young people are useless.  It is pretty universal that the young are spoiled compared to the older generations.  The fast advancement of technology and standards of living over the last 50 years especially virtually insure that young people are going to be considered spoiled by their parents generation.

23 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

I think all young people are useless.  It is pretty universal that the young are spoiled compared to the older generations.  The fast advancement of technology and standards of living over the last 50 years especially virtually insure that young people are going to be considered spoiled by their parents generation.

And your grandparent's generation said the same about yours. And the Millenials will say the same about their grandchildren's generation some day. Circle of Life.

clint-eastwood-gran-torino-gif-6.gif

1 hour ago, NVGiant said:

You're right about that. But millennials aren't that young anymore. Those born in the early 1980s, when that generation more or less begins, are now in their mid-30s, with the youngest members now in their mid-20s.

I didn't know where millennial supposedly temporally ended. However, if my kid is an indication, 25 makes sense. He's 24 and he and his friends exude absolutely no sense of entitlement nor need for "safe spaces" nor anything else which I associate with millennialitis. However, to address the specific subject of this thread, they also don't care in the slightest about politics. All think Trump is a buffoon but none see the Democrats as having enough potential to bother to vote for either. So my guess is he will vote in 2020 because he detests Trump but he won't bother to cast a ballot this November.

Boom goes the dynamite.

18 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

I didn't know where millennial supposedly temporally ended. However, if my kid is an indication, 25 makes sense. He's 24 and he and his friends exude absolutely no sense of entitlement nor need for "safe spaces" nor anything else which I associate with millennialitis. However, to address the specific subject of this thread, they also don't care in the slightest about politics. All think Trump is a buffoon but none see the Democrats as having enough potential to bother to vote for either. So my guess is he will vote in 2020 because he detests Trump but he won't bother to cast a ballot this November.

Generally, Millenials end around mid 90's to mid 2000's, according to Wikipedia. That's when Gen Z starts.

Generation Z or Gen Z (also known as the iGeneration, Homeland Generation, and Post-Millennials)[1] is the demographic cohort after the Millennials (Generation Y). Currently, there are numerous additional competing names used in connection with them in the media. There are no precise dates for when this cohort starts or ends, but demographers and researchers typically use the mid-1990s to mid-2000s as starting birth years. At the present time, there is little consensus regarding ending birth years.

Most of Generation Z have used the Internet since a young age, and they are generally comfortable with technology and with interacting on social media.

A 2018 report from Pew Research Center defines "Post-Millennials" as born from 1997 onward, choosing this date for "key political, economic and social factors", including September 11th terrorist attacks. This date makes Post-Millennials 4 years of age or younger at the time of the attacks, so having little or no memory of the event. Pew indicated they'd use 1997 for future publications but would remain open to date recalibration.[29] An earlier 2014 publication from Pew Research included the year 2000 as start year for the cohort, as part of an interview with Paul Taylor, author of The Next America: Boomers, Millennials, and the Looming Generational Showdown.[30]

Generation Z is generally more risk-averse in certain activities than earlier generations. In 2013, 66% of teenagers (older members of Generation Z) had tried alcohol, down from 82% in 1991. Also in 2013, 8% of Gen. Z teenagers never or rarely wear a seat belt when riding in a car with someone else, as opposed to 26% in 1991.[52]

Research from the Annie E. Casey Foundation conducted in 2016 found Generation Z youth had lower teen pregnancy rates, less substance abuse, and higher on-time high school graduation rates compared with Millennials. The researchers compared teens from 2008 and 2014 and found a 40% drop in teen pregnancy, a 38% drop in drug and alcohol abuse, and a 28% drop in the percentage of teens who did not graduate on time from high school.[53][54]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_Z

I honestly think Gen Z will be the ones to unphuk this country.