Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

misplacedcowboy

When can we expect the West division to start carrying the MWC on a national level?

9 hours ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

Anyone remember this?

http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/total/year/2006

Rolo says he's going to bring back the run and shoot this fall.  Maybe it will flop.  Maybe it won't.  Give us a couple of seasons to get it going and we'll see.

Click on over to the defense tab on that link.

9 hours ago, GoPokes86 said:

Top ten defense for Wyoming that same season!  Excellent.

Unfortunately since then the only current MWC teams to have finished in the top ten defensively have been Boise State in 2010 and SDSU in 2015 and 2017.

The top ten offenses have included Fresno State in 2013; Hawaii in 2006, 2007 and 2010; Boise State in 2006, 2009, 2010, and 2011; and amazingly, Nevada for five straight seasons from 2008 to 2012.  Of course some folks will say that’s because no one played defense in the WAC, but we had some great offensive systems and great talent over those years.

6 minutes ago, roughrider said:

Wingard be flying around....

Beast inside be eating dudes.  

Opposing offenses shredding the Wyo secondary.....

Gross. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

9 hours ago, GoPokes86 said:

54.7ppg and 556ypg on offense.  The next closest offensive numbers that year were 39.7ppg and 475ypg.  If 2006 had either the 2005 or 2007 clock rules, UH would have averaged over 60ppg and 600ypg.  When you had an offense like that you didn't have to worry too much about the defense, which put up the lowest points allowed total(24.1ppg) for a UH defense since the 1980s.

If Long and Tedford ride into the sunset at their respective schools, then I think they will consistently win 9-11 games per year, then that would qualify as carrying the West.  At this point, all we can really hope for is that the top HCs in the MWC stick around for 5-8 years to build some program momentum which could weather a coaching change. Who knows, perhaps getting coaches who want to stay 8-10 years as they ride off into retirement could be a recipe for success in the MWC.  I don't see Long ever leaving SDSU, but I could see Tedford trying to parlay FSU success into another P5 stint.  Let's hope that Tedford is happy carving out a legacy for himself in Fresno.  

24570143_BSUBACKGROUNDBANNERANDY1AWELCOME.png.5fa1e131a0fec4c26c0be2f4d0a420eb.png

망치를 가진 남자에게는, 모든것이 못처럼 보인다.

원숭이도 나무에서 떨어진다.

2 hours ago, MAD MACGYVER said:

If Long and Tedford ride into the sunset at their respective schools, then I think they will consistently win 9-11 games per year, then that would qualify as carrying the West.  At this point, all we can really hope for is that the top HCs in the MWC stick around for 5-8 years to build some program momentum which could weather a coaching change. Who knows, perhaps getting coaches who want to stay 8-10 years as they ride off into retirement could be a recipe for success in the MWC.  I don't see Long ever leaving SDSU, but I could see Tedford trying to parlay FSU success into another P5 stint.  Let's hope that Tedford is happy carving out a legacy for himself in Fresno.  

Tedford isn't going anywhere, this is his last gig. 

BDS.jpeg.b92a1351cc7ee6a0de0c311059007356.jpeg