Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

modestobulldog

NFL and Players Union poop in the crib again.

38 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

I'll never forget when a decorated fighter pilot from WW2 and Korea, a man who ran ROTC programs at multiple universities for most of his life, and a man who was actively involved in the civil rights movement in Alabama, a man who anti-war hippies and military men alike called "The Colonel" out of respect, a man who is buried at Arlington, told me during the Iraq war that if he ever met Donald Rumsfeld he'd spit right in his eye. That man taught me ever since I was a little boy to be leery of the intentions of people and institutions who wrap themselves in the flag. Much of my world view on this stuff is shaped by the words of veterans I grew up around, and with whom I've come in contact personally and professionally. And a lot of them I know for a fact resent the fact that the president and a large corporation are using the public's perception of their military service to denounce and attempt to prevent political protests. Or I know they would if they were still alive.

Many of us on active duty during Rumsfeld's tenure didn't like the man and we're damn happy to see him step down. I can only speak for Marines on this, but Rumsfeld was not a popular SecDef. Most believed he was an idiot.

That being said, veterans and active duty understand that burning a flag or protesting during the Anthem is a 1st amendment right and we'll defend that right even though we don't agree with it. Maybe people would think twice if they had to see a flag covered casket with their friend in it, or witnessed a wife or child receive that flag at a military funeral. 

3 minutes ago, sean327 said:

Many of us on active duty during Rumsfeld's tenure didn't like the man and we're damn happy to see him step down. I can only speak for Marines on this, but Rumsfeld was not a popular SecDef. Most believed he was an idiot.

That being said, veterans and active duty understand that burning a flag or protesting during the Anthem is a 1st amendment right and we'll defend that right even though we don't agree with it. Maybe people would think twice if they had to see a flag covered casket with their friend in it, or witnessed a wife or child receive that flag at a military funeral. 

Do you know or have you heard of Major Dan Rooney?  He started Folds of Honor.  I heard him speak a few months ago.  Great man.  If you ever get a chance to hear him talk, it would be worth your while.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

1 minute ago, pokebball said:

Do you know or have you heard of Major Dan Rooney?  He started Folds of Honor.  I heard him speak a few months ago.  Great man.  If you ever get a chance to hear him talk, it would be worth your while.

No I haven't. I'll have to Google him.

2 minutes ago, sean327 said:

No I haven't. I'll have to Google him.

The folds of honor site has some videos as well as other info.  He started folds of honor to raise funds to send the children of fallen soldiers to college.  Budweiser has supported folds of honor significantly.  They released a beer earlier this summer called Freedom Reserve which is in part funding folds of honor.  

The World Needs More Cowboys!

29 minutes ago, pokebball said:

Understandably though.  That's how they make their money.  They look for controversy because we lap it up.

Yes, definitely. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

2 hours ago, SharkTanked said:

What is the right platform?

Something off the field and on their own time (& Dime).  The shock & awe approach of using the National Anthem platform was a dud (as related to the original stated goal).

110926run_defense710.jpg

Fox News is significantly more responsible for fueling the fires, and the anthems still aren't really shown. 

1 hour ago, sean327 said:

It's true that the National Anthem wasn't televised for the most part, but as soon as Kap and company started their protest Fox, NBC, ESPN, and CBS started showing the Anthem. That was a dumb decision. Pissing half your fan base off is always stupid. Had the networks stayed the normal course and not televised the anthem there would be no controversy.

1 hour ago, pokebball said:

Do you think their ignorance diminishes their opinions, their freedoms, their rights, their votes?  Be careful!

What is there to be careful about?

Ignorance always diminishes the individual.  Too bad the vote counts the same anyway.

2 hours ago, pokebball said:

I think this is accurate for one of many demographics.  I think there are additional demographics, one significant demographic being the military and veterans of the military.  The flag, the national anthem, the pledge of allegiance, etc are very important to many citizens.  All of us give that acknowledgement lip service but do we really understand it?  I told this story once on this board before.  About 20yrs ago I was late for my son's baseball game which was held at a facility with many fields - lots of kiddos, fans, etc.  I parked my car and began running across the parking lot, into the field complex as the national anthem began.  I didn't stop and was yelled at by an older gentlemen.  I stopped, told him I was sorry and put my hand on my heart.  Afterwards I again told him I was sorry and that he was right in yelling at me.  He reached out to shake my hand and apologized to me for his behavior.  Tears were forming in his eyes.  He told me he lost many good friends in WWII and a son in Korea.  He said the flag and the National Anthem were extremely important to him because his service and his losses for our country.  What the flag and anthem meant to that veteran kicked my ass that day and I have never forgotten that.

You are wrong in believing that men and women like this guy are trying to shift the focus of the merits of Kap's protest .  You couldn't be more wrong.  This demographic was honoring our flag and anthem before Kap was born, for reasons that you, perhaps, don't understand.  My epiphany came 20yrs ago.

Please understanding that there are millions in this country that come from different backgrounds than you, different places than you, that have experienced different things than you have experienced.  Certainly, those millions need to understand Kap's experiences too.  But it isn't all about one demographic, it's about the many demographics we have in the country and the understanding and empathy we have for each other.

You hit the nail on the head for me. I have served and had friends killed in war. When I stand for the anthem it always brings back memories and sometimes tears. I’ve also served as a pallbearer at a military funeral. When the flag was presented to the fallen soldiers family it was one of the most gut wrenching things I’ve ever endured. So when I stand for the anthem it is in respect for the many brave fallen friends and comrades in arms that didn’t make it.

3 hours ago, SharkTanked said:

What is the right platform?

One that they don't have to see or be bothered with at all.

People forget that it was a very patriotic soldier that came up with the idea for Kap to kneel because it wouldn't be disrespectful while still making a point(Kap was just sitting down through it before.)

On 7/21/2018 at 10:36 PM, smltwnrckr said:

I dunno if I've ever seen an ad for an Ellen show, either, but homegirl rakes in the money. She's middle america's gay friend. 

Oh not saying she doesn't rank in the money, I was just saying didn't know it was still on the air. They also have a slot machine based off her show