Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alum93

Predictions for P5 vs G5 Long Term

1 minute ago, #1Stunner said:

Really?

Seems like Indiana and Iowa State have stronger athletics programs than Oregon State.

Oregon State is a cool university but athletically it has nothing in common with UCLA or UW. Yes it won a natty in baseball but so did Coastal Carolina. 

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, Jack Bauer said:

I'd argue there's even some G5 teams that are bigger deals than Oregon State.

Agree with that.

UNM is 8th in the MWC for athletic budgets. UNM has a hard keeping up with the rich schools I. The MW, like BSU/SDSU/Wyoming. Cuts were inevitable and a needed, but painful reality... folks wanted to see baseball and the tennis teams cut as well, but recent big donors to those sports saved their skin for now. 

Their may be more cuts down the road, and there will be other schools making painful cuts like this as well.

And ive always been a proponent of letting the P5 sail off into the big money sunset, and for G5’s to do their own thing. Crown our own national G5 champion and call it good. We could have a G5 playoff system like how it’s done in D2/3... a system that’s working extremely well imo.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

Not sure what will happen, but the trigger will be when schools like USC, Texas, Ohio State, etc. have to significantly "subsidize" their weaker conference brethren just to keep the conference afloat.  I believe that at that point, the true Big Programs will consider forming their own extremely lucrative "league".

Imagine what a digital giant would pay for exclusive streaming rights to games between huge programs every Saturday.  As an example of my theory, imagine if the 32 best college football programs of the modern times split into four 8 team conferences.  OOC would feature games like USC vs. Texas, Ohio State vs. Alabama, Boise State vs. Clemson (just kidding!).  And conference play would be so critical if you stuck with a four team playoff featuring the 4 conference champions. 

And imagine the payouts to those programs when the pie has so many fewer pieces. 

From a fan perspective, it would be like NCAA Basketball Tourney level interest every weekend!   

The flaw in my theory (or at least one of the probably many that I see!) is what happens when a couple of these programs slump.  Someone has to be last in the conference and I'm curious as to how long the fans of, let's just say Michigan, would take being the "new Indiana" in their Elite Conference?  And how much interest would there be to the general public after 5 years in a Washington vs. UCLA conference matchup, if Washington has been a consistent powerhouse and UCLA has only won 7 games in 5 years due to the consistent difficulty of their schedule?

Interesting times...

6 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

If I live another 60 years, I will likely see the end of every single Mwc football program at the fbs/1a/whatever they end up calling the top division.

I think the breakaway will happen within the next 20 years, maybe even 15 where most current P5 teams form their own football division.  

IMHO CFB needs 6 high functioning conferences to gain the broadest appeal and highest potential ratings. As big conferences consolidate it's reducing the amount of "novel" content available to CFB audiences overtime. Having 6 high functioning conferences gives you the right total number of schools to keep most CFB fans watching if there is a hard break with the rest of D1. It also allows for easy pairing during bowls and enough depth to keep novelty in the game. If you don't believe in the "novelty" concept ask yourself exactly why is the Boise v Oklahoma game so highly rated?

The prospects for most, if not all, of the G5 and some low level P5 schools are not positive. But, there are 2 big unknowns. What will be the impact of streaming and what role big tech companies will play. Fans of G5 schools should not believe there is no hope for their programs. The potential impact of  big money sources is immense.

1 hour ago, AztecSU said:

IMHO CFB needs 6 high functioning conferences to gain the broadest appeal and highest potential ratings. As big conferences consolidate it's reducing the amount of "novel" content available to CFB audiences overtime. Having 6 high functioning conferences gives you the right total number of schools to keep most CFB fans watching if there is a hard break with the rest of D1. It also allows for easy pairing during bowls and enough depth to keep novelty in the game. If you don't believe in the "novelty" concept ask yourself exactly why is the Boise v Oklahoma game so highly rated?

I don't know if referencing a game played 11 years ago means anything relative to today's ratings.  I do remember watching it and cheering for Boise because they were in the WAC.  I think if you take the current P5, you could move all 5 or have realignment and do something like 4 conferences of 16 teams.  Regional rivalries would be protected by having east and west or north and south divisions.  Either way, you have something in the range of 60-64 teams at the next level.  

4 minutes ago, alum93 said:

I don't know if referencing a game played 11 years ago means anything relative to today's ratings.  I do remember watching it and cheering for Boise because they were in the WAC.  I think if you take the current P5, you could move all 5 or have realignment and do something like 4 conferences of 16 teams.  Regional rivalries would be protected by having east and west or north and south divisions.  Either way, you have something in the range of 60-64 teams at the next level.  

Four (16) team conferences w/each having 8-team divisions.  Conference championships are first round of playoff w/winners going to current format "playoff".  It's really pretty obvious.  #65 up have NO chance (and there is little to no chance of ANY B1G or SEC team (sans Vanderbuilt) being left out ).  Just can't see how there will be any G5's included.  The MF'er64 conference better start paying taxes too.

7 hours ago, Jack Bauer said:

My point is, that teams like Wazzu and OSU and the others have bigger  and more successful programs in their own states, so it's hard to justify them being in a money driven league situation like the OP is talking about.  

I enjoy watching the best teams, so I will watch any big game.  I don't enjoy watching Auburn play Jackson State, so I see where Saban is coming from with regards to "we should only play P5" rhetoric.  

The reason there's an imbalance is because the fans out West just aren't as invested or rabid about their teams.  There's less fan support, less attendance, worse TV payouts, less donations, and for those reasons football out West overall just isn't as big of a deal as it is in the Midwest and South.  It's cultural in the South, not so much in California.  It's just a different mindset.

Fair point. 

7 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Agree with that.

Hating on my Beavs, not cool man. If BYU ever plays in Corvallis take the road trip over make it an extended weekend and visit the coast. Then come back and tell me one bad thing about the area, campus, and facilities. 

18 minutes ago, JohnAdams said:

Hating on my Beavs, not cool man. If BYU ever plays in Corvallis take the road trip over make it an extended weekend and visit the coast. Then come back and tell me one bad thing about the area, campus, and facilities. 

My uncle lives up there, and we've been up a few times over the years.  It's a fun trip.  

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

7 hours ago, SparkysDad said:

Not sure what will happen, but the trigger will be when schools like USC, Texas, Ohio State, etc. have to significantly "subsidize" their weaker conference brethren just to keep the conference afloat.  I believe that at that point, the true Big Programs will consider forming their own extremely lucrative "league".

Imagine what a digital giant would pay for exclusive streaming rights to games between huge programs every Saturday.  As an example of my theory, imagine if the 32 best college football programs of the modern times split into four 8 team conferences.  OOC would feature games like USC vs. Texas, Ohio State vs. Alabama, Boise State vs. Clemson (just kidding!).  And conference play would be so critical if you stuck with a four team playoff featuring the 4 conference champions. 

And imagine the payouts to those programs when the pie has so many fewer pieces. 

From a fan perspective, it would be like NCAA Basketball Tourney level interest every weekend!   

The flaw in my theory (or at least one of the probably many that I see!) is what happens when a couple of these programs slump.  Someone has to be last in the conference and I'm curious as to how long the fans of, let's just say Michigan, would take being the "new Indiana" in their Elite Conference?  And how much interest would there be to the general public after 5 years in a Washington vs. UCLA conference matchup, if Washington has been a consistent powerhouse and UCLA has only won 7 games in 5 years due to the consistent difficulty of their schedule?

Interesting times...

Relegation! :D

Guest #1Stunner
2 hours ago, JohnAdams said:

Oregon state just won the college World Series. 

Yes, I know.  But Football and Basketball drive the bus.