TheSanDiegan

The Knife Thread

Cold Steel just came out with my favorite "for use" Bowie in a new A2 steel.  I have this knife already in O-1 and San Mai.  Arrived today and I can not wait to test the A2's world famous edge retention.  This knife will see a lot of use this summer.  Chopping wood, cleaning fish, clearing brush.  

No photo description available.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2018 at 5:59 AM, HR_Poke said:

No pics but I have a benchmade auto knife my father in law got me as well as a handful of Gerber utility knifes from my boy scout days.  Wife has a little silver Kershaw but its full as shit.

Where did HR go?

Image may contain: one or more people

@TheSanDiegan my new toy.  Viking long sword from Cold Steel.  1055 high carbon steel.  The handle is a little cheap but the quality of the blade and steel is world class.  Was able to snag the last one in stock for under $600 with shipping and taxes.  My buddy is going to redo the handle for me.  He has some Mammoth Ivory he would be willing to do it with for only $300.  The end product would be a unique weapon and family heirloom.  I could probably sell it for well over 2 grand.   

• Like 1

Just now, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Image may contain: one or more people

@TheSanDiegan my new toy.  Viking long sword from Cold Steel.  1055 high carbon steel.  The handle is a little cheap but the quality of the blade and steel is world class.  Was able to snag the last one in stock for under $600 with shipping and taxes.  My buddy is going to redo the handle for me.  He has some Mammoth Ivory he would be willing to do it with for only $300.

Nice! Congrats on the pick-up. I've always wanted to add a period-original Viking sword to my collection (I've had a reserved place on a wall for more than fifteen years), but the right opportunity and the right price have have yet to cross paths. I did briefly possess a couple vintage repros by Silvano and Fulvio Del Tin made back in the 70s/80s that were part of a collection I acquired some time back. I think I horsetraded them for some Moro blades.

Speaking of which, if I was to swing a larger edged weapon in anger, it would likely be one of my Moro pieces, or maybe a nihonto. 

• Like 1

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

3 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Nice! Congrats on the pick-up. I've always wanted to add a period-original Viking sword to my collection (I've had a reserved place on a wall for more than fifteen years), but the right opportunity and the right price have have yet to cross paths. I did briefly possess a couple vintage repros by Silvano and Fulvio Del Tin made back in the 70s/80s that were part of a collection I acquired some time back. I think I horsetraded them for some Moro blades.

Speaking of which, if I was to swing a larger edged weapon in anger, it would likely be one of my Moro pieces, or maybe a nihonto. 

The Kris is a fantastic weapon.  I want to add one to my collection one day.

I am really stoked on this purchase.  Really stoked.  It is light, fast, strong, razor sharp.  Both a great hacker and thruster. 

9 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

The Kris is a fantastic weapon.  I want to add one to my collection one day.

I am really stoked on this purchase.  Really stoked.  It is light, fast, strong, razor sharp.  Both a great hacker and thruster. 

Check out Swish of the Kris sometime. It's a quick read and a fascinating look into the history of the Moros. They, much like the Highlanders for so much of their history, simply refused to be subjugated and to assimilate into a cultural identity greater than their own. The Chinese, the Javanese, the Japanese, the Spaniards... none of them could subjugate the Moros. And while the Spanish American War only lasted four months, we were in the Philippines for 14 years fighting insurrections in Jolo and Mindanao.

Next to my nihonto, my Moro blades are hands-down the sharpest I've held in the hand. I have a few kris, but if I was to grab a single Moro blade it would likely be a barong. However, as I have more than one and happen to have two hands, I'd likely grab two. :D 

4 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Check out Swish of the Kris sometime. It's a quick read and a fascinating look into the history of the Moros. They, much like the Highlanders for so much of their history, simply refused to be subjugated and to assimilate into a cultural identity greater than their own. The Chinese, the Javanese, the Japanese, the Spaniards... none of them could subjugate the Moros. And while the Spanish American War only lasted four months, we were in the Philippines for 14 years fighting insurrections in Jolo and Mindanao.

Next to my nihonto, my Moro blades are hands-down the sharpest I've held in the hand. I have a few kris, but if I was to grab a single Moro blade it would likely be a barong. However, as I have more than one and happen to have two hands, I'd likely grab two. :D 

We really need to crack a beer sometime.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

Quick question, do you have any idea how to clean this up?

I don’t use it, just has sentimental value as it was given in a tournament bag...

32415743-41C6-41DE-8CA3-369B0DB7092B.jpeg

9590EB85-0B18-4211-ABC1-8D7E4057E46B.jpeg

Absolutely!  Mix baking soda with lemon juice, get an abrasive sponge of some sort and scrub it with the baking soda lemon juice paste.  A tooth brush will work too.  If there are bits of rust in places you can't reach, soak it in white vinegar.  But do the baking soda scrub first. 

Make sure there is no dirt or anything first on it.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Absolutely!  Mix baking soda with lemon juice, get an abrasive sponge of some sort and scrub it with the baking soda lemon juice paste.  A tooth brush will work too.  If there are bits of rust in places you can't reach, soak it in white vinegar.  But do the baking soda scrub first. 

Make sure there is no dirt or anything first on it.

Thank you!

• Like 1

On 7/20/2018 at 5:13 AM, BSUTOP25 said:

A small side note ... Buck Knives is now headquartered in Post Falls, Idaho.

So, Buck Knives is still surrounded by SoCals. 

My Uncle Fred got me a Buck Knife for HS graduation. Still in great shape. This thread is leading me to put on a listen to Guy Clark’s “The Randle Knife”.   

• Like 1

On 8/6/2018 at 10:57 AM, TheSanDiegan said:

Nice looking knife. I've seen similar ones on tables at shows. I have quite a few paleo- and neolithic points, but have never picked up a modern knapped blade. I imagine that degree of fine knapping takes a hell of a lot of skill to execute to the degree of quality shown in your example.

Obsidian can hold an edge an order of magnitude (or more) sharper than steel, as it fractures down to the single molecule. 

Looking at the knives above it, is that a (Kershaw) Scallion (third from the left)? Also curious to see the 2nd from the left... your balisong (butterfly knife) looks like the TJ specials I used to pick up...

Not sure how I missed this, but it's my turn to flex nuts for a bit.  I made this, knapped it myself.

No description available.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, tailingpermit said:

Quick question, do you have any idea how to clean this up?

I don’t use it, just has sentimental value as it was given in a tournament bag...

32415743-41C6-41DE-8CA3-369B0DB7092B.jpeg

9590EB85-0B18-4211-ABC1-8D7E4057E46B.jpeg

I read @halfmanhalfbronco's sugegstion and might try that with a beater folder if I can find one with surface rust like that.

I can tell you how I curate my vintage and antique blades, which require a delicate hand to ensure I do not remove value.

3-in-1 oil and 0000 steel wool. Works like a charm. Use 000 for the tougher spots, but give it some time and elbow grease with the 0000 first.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Not sure how I missed this, but it's my turn to flex nuts for a bit.  I made this, knapped it myself.

No description available.

Well done! I'll have to dig up my pre-contact Anasazi knife to show you.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, grandjean87 said:

So, Buck Knives is still surrounded by SoCals. 

My Uncle Fred got me a Buck Knife for HS graduation. Still in great shape. This thread is leading me to put on a listen to Guy Clark’s “The Randle Knife”.   

Grew up with Bucks - a true San Diego original. By the time I received by first 119 Special they had moved to El Cajon. My late uncle would visit their custom shop. And I know/knew a couple of the guys who used to share blades there who went on to successful knife making careers.

1 hour ago, TheSanDiegan said:

I read @halfmanhalfbronco's sugegstion and might try that with a beater folder if I can find one with surface rust like that.

I can tell you how I curate my vintage and antique blades, which require a delicate hand to ensure I do not remove value.

3-in-1 oil and 0000 steel wool. Works like a charm. Use 000 for the tougher spots, but give it some time and elbow grease with the 0000 first.

The toughest part he is going to have is the large pitting...really not sure what to do with that unless he wants to grind it out.

My method will get rust off anything, though and leave a flawless shine (lemon juice is tits)

8 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

The toughest part he is going to have is the large pitting...really not sure what to do with that unless he wants to grind it out.

My method will get rust off anything, though and leave a flawless shine (lemon juice is tits)

Those look to be on the surface to me, but if he does have any surface pitting, the best hack I know (to hide it) is to rub it well with aluminum foil.