retrofade

Russian national Maria Butina has been charged with Conspiracy to Act as an Agent of the Russian Federation Within the United States

3 hours ago, nocoolnamejim said:

Yeah. Liberal source (talkingpointsmemo) but Josh Marshall also noticed that and opined on it.

Another point: this indictment isn’t from the Special Counsel’s office. It comes from the DOJ’s National Security Division, where you’d expect such a charge to come from if there were no Special Counsel. Why is this? A Russian national trying to infiltrate US conservative political groups on behalf of Russia during the 2016 election – it’s hard to see what could more clearly fall under Mueller’s purview.

So why isn’t this from him?

There are a few possibilities. One is simply that the investigation and indictment arose independently, though that seems unlikely. Another possibility is that Mueller decided to hand this prosecution off to regular DOJ prosecutors to spread the investigation out among a number of offices, making himself less of a conspicuous or at least sole target of political attack. Yet another possibility is more mundane: Mueller doesn’t want to be at this forever and he’s handing off peripheral cases so he can finish more quickly and maintain his focus on core matters. My best guess is some mix of options two and three. But this is a bit of a mystery.

All that seems clear from this indictment is that the US is saying that the NRA was infiltrated by at least one Russian agent and likely more.

On NPR tonight they said that this investigation was initiated by the National Security Division prior to Mueller’s appointment. 

• Like 1

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

28 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

On NPR tonight they said that this investigation was initiated by the National Security Division prior to Mueller’s appointment. 

Ah thanks. Good to know.

7 hours ago, nocoolnamejim said:

Yeah. Liberal source (talkingpointsmemo) but Josh Marshall also noticed that and opined on it.

Another point: this indictment isn’t from the Special Counsel’s office. It comes from the DOJ’s National Security Division, where you’d expect such a charge to come from if there were no Special Counsel. Why is this? A Russian national trying to infiltrate US conservative political groups on behalf of Russia during the 2016 election – it’s hard to see what could more clearly fall under Mueller’s purview.

So why isn’t this from him?

There are a few possibilities. One is simply that the investigation and indictment arose independently, though that seems unlikely. Another possibility is that Mueller decided to hand this prosecution off to regular DOJ prosecutors to spread the investigation out among a number of offices, making himself less of a conspicuous or at least sole target of political attack. Yet another possibility is more mundane: Mueller doesn’t want to be at this forever and he’s handing off peripheral cases so he can finish more quickly and maintain his focus on core matters. My best guess is some mix of options two and three. But this is a bit of a mystery.

All that seems clear from this indictment is that the US is saying that the NRA was infiltrated by at least one Russian agent and likely more.

I think it is more likely that Muellar does not want his investigation to be subject to discovery.  He hands some evidence over to another entity and maybe is able to avoid having to divulge his whole hand.

Was she getting reduced airfare on Delta?  And how do I become a “member” of planned parenthood?   I’m looking to take some trips and could use the reduced fares.   

Posted Image

Remember when Trump invited Russians to the White House last May, and barred US media from the event?

Look in the back of the line....

DKX2nBI.jpg

There's another very similar picture in this NYT piece about the event.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/10/us/politics/trump-russia-meeting-american-reporters-blocked.html

I mean, I suppose it could be someone else, but damn if she doesn't look like a dead ringer for Butina.

http://theweek.com/speedreads/785294/thats-not-alleged-russian-spy-mariia-butina-oval-office-meeting-trump

edit: The Week is reporting now that it isn't her.

8 minutes ago, Extra Mayo said:

MARIABUTINA!!!!!!

This is the first I've heard of either Emily Singer or Mic.

But it seems like this was an honest mistake that she corrected and retracted fairly promptly from squinting at the time stamps. Isn't that what you want a reporter to do?

Obviously the mistake itself isn't a great look, but the lady at the back really does look like her. I see nothing sinister here.

So... to recap.

According to the indictment, a Russian agent was - in conjunction with two Americans - working on developing assets as well as secretive, backchannel communications within the GOP, the NRA, and the National Prayer Breakfast.

tumblr_ozna6tmuPq1vg1enro1_500.gif

• Like 1

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

Another photo that has not aged well...

A Russian spy, her boss, and the governor of a critical electoral swing state. It's going to be interesting to see how far the rot goes.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

17 hours ago, jackmormon said:

It would seem the Russians have a preference for republicans...

Why woukd they try to infiltrade Leftust Leftist Democrat orgs, thise are already Communist.

14 hours ago, 415hawaiiboy said:

Treasury thought it would be a good idea to not require some groups like the NRA to disclose donors.  New IRS policy today.  Interesting given the timing.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/us-treasury-exempts-some-nonprofits-from-identifying-donors

I actually don't think this has anything to do with this case, but the timing is a pretty bad look. But it really shouldn't be the purview of the IRS to worry about gathering evidence for the DOJ in cases unrelated to revenue collection. It seems the Federal Gov't is going a piss poor job of keeping an eye on foreign nationals and what they are doing. But that's kind of a needle in the haystack thing.

This thread is funny as hell.

A giant conspiracy theory that will result in zero indictments of US Citizens.

Again.

But have fun with your "The Russians are Coming" circle jerk, Leftists.

2 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

I actually don't think this has anything to do with this case, but the timing is a pretty bad look. But it really shouldn't be the purview of the IRS to worry about gathering evidence for the DOJ in cases unrelated to revenue collection. It seems the Federal Gov't is going a piss poor job of keeping an eye on foreign nationals and what they are doing. But that's kind of a needle in the haystack thing.

The rule change actually has to do withe the IRS scandal under Obama of targeting Conservative groups. IRS was harassing their donors, not just the groups themselves.

...during Obama's "scandal-free" Administration...

8 minutes ago, Thomas said:

The rule change actually has to do withe the IRS scandal under Obama of targeting Conservative groups. IRS was harassing their donors, not just the groups themselves.

...during Obama's "scandal-free" Administration...

Groups on both sides have been targeted under both Obama and Dubya administrations, at least according to the NY Times article I read on it... https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/17/us/politics/irs-will-no-longer-force-kochs-and-other-groups-to-disclose-donors.html

Officials with the Treasury Department largely echoed that reasoning, explaining that the move was driven in part by the I.R.S.’s inappropriate targeting of political groups during the administrations of Presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama. The I.R.S. inspector general found that both conservative and progressive groups were targeted and that I.R.S. officials inappropriately sought information on donors to Tea Party groups as well as to liberal groups.

But you are correct that this is something that proceeded this current case by a long time. That's why I didn't think it had anything to do with this case.

• Like 1

Just now, pokebball said:

I don't think they really care the party

I'd be pretty shocked if they were not involved with some Democrats too. They should be smart enough to hedge their bets. It's what most companies do with their political donations.

• Like 1

Just now, SharkTanked said:

I'd be pretty shocked if they were not involved with some Democrats too. They should be smart enough to hedge their bets. It's what most companies do with their political donations.

I edited my post.  I think the Russians want to get the most disruption they can get.  That doesn't come from the Repubs as much.

The World Needs More Cowboys!