Jump to content
Warbow

Hawaii makes 2.4 million on its TV deal

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Bruininthebay said:

The BIG check is made out to the Big West conference for Hawaii's Olympic sports.  Chartering four planes to  and from Hawaii plus hotel for revenue generating football teams is not a seven figure sum and each charter and hotel stay probably is equal to or less than the cost of ticket sales for each game itself.

yeah, but travel is cheap(1 flight on a 2 game road trip) to Big West locales compared to MWC destinations(usually 2 flights on a two game road trip)  UH is actually spending as much on oly sports travel as they were in the WAC without travel subs.

The big problem is both of the TV deals.  The better UH gets on the field the lower they get paid for their TV rights.  The MWC controls UH's inventory, but does not pay them.  That means ESPN and CBSSN can pick as many UH games as they choose.  This past year, UH lost $200k from their PPV deal because UH couldn't provide enough football content as part of their agreement with Spectrum. I would be fine if the MWC gave Tier1,2, and 3 rights back to UH at least until the new MWC media deal is reached.

UH earned about $600k from the WAC on top of the PPV deal, and paid no travel subs for football.  Now UH gets $0 from the MWC deal and pays $650k annually in travel subsidies.   This is about a $1.2 million change.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, ph90702 said:

I personally wish Hawaii would go independent in football.  They can survive as an independent because they can get home games against schools as big as USC.

Ph it takes more than having the ability to schedule some body bag games to survive.  Once you start to repeat a losing culture it becomes almost impossible to correct.  

Could they keep the lights on?   Maybe.  But winning 2 - 4 games every year would devastate that program beyond repair.  Check out the university of Idaho story to see what can happen.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, slappy said:

Ph it takes more than having the ability to schedule some body bag games to survive.  Once you start to repeat a losing culture it becomes almost impossible to correct.  

Could they keep the lights on?   Maybe.  But winning 2 - 4 games every year would devastate that program beyond repair.  Check out the university of Idaho story to see what can happen.  

Hawaii and Idaho have nothing in common. The only reason Idaho went D1 was because of Boise. 

Boise and Nevada went D1 because they grew out of the Big Sky. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, slappy said:

Ph it takes more than having the ability to schedule some body bag games to survive.  Once you start to repeat a losing culture it becomes almost impossible to correct.  

Could they keep the lights on?   Maybe.  But winning 2 - 4 games every year would devastate that program beyond repair.  Check out the university of Idaho story to see what can happen.  

They could schedule G5 teams.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ph90702 said:

They could schedule G5 teams.

Yes they could but the bottom of G5 is the 2-4 wins I am talking about.  If they only play fcs and low level G5 to ensure over .500 seasons what do they really have. I guess survival?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ph90702 said:

They could schedule G5 teams.

Yes they could but the bottom of G5 is the 2-4 wins I am talking about.  If they only play fcs and low level G5 to ensure over .500 seasons what do they really have. I guess survival?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, slappy said:

Yes they could but the bottom of G5 is the 2-4 wins I am talking about.  If they only play fcs and low level G5 to ensure over .500 seasons what do they really have. I guess survival?

What is the MW getting them?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2018 at 7:17 PM, ph90702 said:

I personally wish Hawaii would go independent in football.  They can survive as an independent because they can get home games against schools as big as USC.

Why? Seriously, what's your thinking on this? Do you just not like having a football only school in the conference? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

Hawaii and Idaho have nothing in common. The only reason Idaho went D1 was because of Boise. 

Boise and Nevada went D1 because they grew out of the Big Sky. 

This.

 

There us no comparison between Idaho & Hawaii.

Idaho never really fit into FBS football in the first place, whike Hawaii has built-in advantages that could potentialky allow them to go independent.

Apples and bananas.

Slappy is way off with that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Thomas said:

This.

 

There us no comparison between Idaho & Hawaii.

Idaho never really fit into FBS football in the first place, whike Hawaii has built-in advantages that could potentialky allow them to go independent.

Apples and bananas.

Slappy is way off with that.

I believe there are more similarities than you would think.  Both schools have relatively small recruiting bases.  Both schools enjoyed remarkable success at the lower levels of college football.  Both schools thought that success would follow them upwards as they chased the television dollar.  Both schools have had financial issues with their athletic departments.  Both schools have threatened or gone Indy.  Both schools will drop back down to levels where they can compete. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ph90702 said:

What is the MW getting them?

Nothing.  But Indy is a death trap. See Byu and Idaho for examples. They need to drop down to a conference that they can play for a championship. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, renoskier said:

Why? Seriously, what's your thinking on this? Do you just not like having a football only school in the conference? 

Ding ding ding!  Also, they are too far away.  It’s a shorter trip to New York from Las Vegas than it is to Hawaii.

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, slappy said:

I believe there are more similarities than you would think.  Both schools have relatively small recruiting bases.  Both schools enjoyed remarkable success at the lower levels of college football.  Both schools thought that success would follow them upwards as they chased the television dollar.  Both schools have had financial issues with their athletic departments.  Both schools have threatened or gone Indy.  Both schools will drop back down to levels where they can compete. 

How is Hawaii different than Wyoming? Or Nevada for that matter? Hawaii is a flagship state university with a remarkable fan base when it’s winning.  I’d bet Hawaii produces more talent than Wyoming and Idaho combined. I don’t get this analogy at all. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

I don’t get this analogy at all. 

Because you are trying to pull Nevada and Wyoming into the original quoted response.  Then you compared recruiting in Wyoming to Hawaii.  You have to understand what you are reading better, then you can stay on topic  

 

We we were talking about similarities between Idaho and Hawaii.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2018 at 5:59 PM, Warbow said:

How much did your school make.

Imagine what SDSU could be making.  What UNLV could be making.

You guys are paying the front rangers' bills.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Thomas said:

This.

 

There us no comparison between Idaho & Hawaii.

Idaho never really fit into FBS football in the first place, whike Hawaii has built-in advantages that could potentialky allow them to go independent.

Apples and bananas.

Slappy is way off with that.

Teams should be lining up to play Hawaii.  Playing @Hawaii gives a school the opportunity to play 13 games.  That's huge.  And it's why Hawaii could go Indy.  

And Hawaii would already have at least 2 built in games vs BYU and NMSU.  And could easily schedule the MWC and PAC12.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, slappy said:

Because you are trying to pull Nevada and Wyoming into the original quoted response.  Then you compared recruiting in Wyoming to Hawaii.  You have to understand what you are reading better, then you can stay on topic  

We we were talking about similarities between Idaho and Hawaii.  

Is everyone on this board inclined to respond like a dick?

You’re right. I didn’t stay on point. But only because your point is stupid. 

As a Wyoming fan you think Hawaii and Idaho have more similarities than Idaho and Wyoming? 

Fine. That’s some awesome logic. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Teams should be lining up to play Hawaii.  Playing @Hawaii hives a school the opportunity to play 13 games.  That's huge.  And it's why Hawaii could go Indy.  

And Hawaii would already have at least 2 built in games vs BYU and NMSU.  And could easily schedule the MWC and PAC12.

I’d bet Hawaii has crunched these numbers to death. If it would work they would figure it out. Travel is only getting more expensive. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on everything I'm seeing -- and I follow every shred of Hawaii athletics information I can get my hands on daily -- there is no chance of UH football going indy.  Zero.  Nada.  None.

I know there are some UH fans who remain strong advocates of the independence route, but UH is finding scheduling of non-conference home football games harder every year despite the Hawaii exemption.  In this new era of the College Football Playoff big-time programs like USC will no longer risk a road loss in paradise.  Moreover with most conferences playing 9-game conference schedules and adding conference championship games, even the non-elite teams are no longer willing to make the long trip to Honolulu after the first few weeks of the season.  The only exceptions are programs that are already independent and there aren't enough of those to build a balanced 12-game schedule around.  Under the circumstances I can't imagine the UH administration opting for indy status.  I expect the Warriors to remain in the MWC for the foreseeable future unless we're forced out against our will.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2018 at 9:03 PM, madmartigan said:

You have an unfair advantage, you have Robert Kekaula calling your games. I go out of my way to listen to him. Oh, and travel subs are deeeelllllllicious. I'll be enjoying some this year. 

Dxc3KY5.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...