Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Is BYU ok with the status quo?

9 minutes ago, Pelado said:

Last season was the first in independence that BYU had fewer than 8 wins.

Not that I agree with it, but I think a lot of people are using last year as a harbinger of the level of success BYU will be having with the new staff/system.

Personally I think you guys will get back to being a decent to above average G5 program again. Just takes some time to transition from BM's system and staff. 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

Just now, RogueStout said:

Not that I agree with it, but I think a lot of people are using last year as a harbinger of the level of success BYU will be having with the new staff/system.

Personally I think you guys will get back to being a decent to above average G5 program again. Just takes some time to transition from BM's system and staff. 

There is truth in your statement. There is talent on their roster and I think Mangum is gonna have a tough time keeping his starting position. 

It's the MWC board, BYU left the MWC for reasons of pride and instate rivalry and a lot of MWC fans want to see BYU fail and hope that this brings them back to our conference. 

I like playing BYU. It has turned into a regional rivalry, their fans are rabidly loyal, they show up to Boise in droves and help sell the stadium out. 

It's like our new Vandal game :lol:

latestbroncofanslogo.png.20959eb73e46249d924bc7abb968f702.png

Guest #1Stunner
22 minutes ago, RogueStout said:

Yous is an accurate comment.

Also, it appears that people are not aware that BYU hired an all new Offensive Staff, and a a new Defensive coach.   These are the new guys:

OC - Jeff Grimes (former O-Line Coach at LSU, Auburn, Va Tech, BYU and Boise)

Passing Game Coordinator and QBs - Aaron Roderick (former OC, QB, and WR coach at Utah)

WRs - Fesi Sitake (former OC and WR coach at Weber State)

OL - Ryan Pugh (former O-Line Coach at UTSA)

RB - AJ Steward (former RB Coach at Rice)

Safeties - Preston Hadley (former secondary coach at Weber State)

That's 6 new coaches.   We'll see if they are good or not.  But all have experience.   And the offensive system is completely changed from last year.   So Mangum won't be running the same offense.

Guest #1Stunner
1 minute ago, cherrycrush said:

Tanner will not eat another potato until he beats Boise. 😆

Tanner has completely cut potatoes out of his diet. 

He is a guy on a mission (for the 2nd time).

49 minutes ago, RogueStout said:

Just opinions on here, but I think they'll be about like Nevada historically but with more losses due to their ungodly (and front-loaded) schedules.  

Much like Nevada's rise with Kaepernick at QB, BYU's equivalent as an Independent is their results with Taysom Hill (when healthy).  And they had their all-time RB (Williams, right?) at the same time.  4-7 wins a season with their upcoming schedules actually sounds about right to me and maybe one or two more if they uncover a special diamond-in-the-rough key player or two.   

Too bad the Lil General isn't Mormon or he could take Kalani's place after next season and the comparison could be tested!

Image result for chris ault boise state

On 7/14/2018 at 3:48 PM, #1Stunner said:

BYU will go 3-0 during our MWC Football season, and 3-1 during our MWC Basketball season.

Football:

USU - BYU win

Hawaii - BYU win.  Mahalo.

Boise - BYU has got to beat Boise.  BYU win.

Basketball:

UNLV - a home game for BYU basketball.  BYU win.

Reno - BYU win.

USU - the USU fans will be cheering for BYU.  BYU win.

SDSU - BYU loses this one.  Chad Bunn will be irate.

Chad Bunn.....🤢🤮💀😉

8 hours ago, WilliamHicks said:

There is truth in your statement. There is talent on their roster and I think Mangum is gonna have a tough time keeping his starting position. 

It's the MWC board, BYU left the MWC for reasons of pride and instate rivalry and a lot of MWC fans want to see BYU fail and hope that this brings them back to our conference. 

I like playing BYU. It has turned into a regional rivalry, their fans are rabidly loyal, they show up to Boise in droves and help sell the stadium out. 

It's like our new Vandal game :lol:

Maybe BYU will end up back in the Big Sky, just like Idaho?

On 7/14/2018 at 1:02 PM, mugtang said:

I haven't read the whole thread. Of course BYU isn't OK with the status quo. The 2017 football and basketball teams under performed. 4-9 record. That stinks, regardless of who is on the schedule.

But the status quo has less to do with independence or schedules than it has to do with the 2017 team and coaching staff. BYU lost to Fresno St., Utah St., and ECU. Lost to UMass at home - first ever FBS road win. Portland State was a somewhat competitive game. The 4-9 record can't be blamed on the difficulty of the schedule or the failings of independence - that's on the team and the coaches. It would be EVEN WORSE (from BYU fans' perspectives) if BYU had gone 4-9 in the MWC. And, BYU would likely have gone 4-9 in 2017 even with a full MWC schedule. The 2017 BYU team wouldn't have beaten SDSU, Wyoming, Colorado St. or Air Force. 

And, the whole Gonzaga-to-MWC basketball issue turned into Much Ado About Nothing. Though, of all MWC benefits, I absolutely miss playing SDSU, UNLV, and New Mexico in basketball every year. Those were great rivalry games. But, for the status quo, it doesn't help that the BYU basketball team went 1-5 against Gonzaga and St. Mary's and lost to Pacific, Loyola Marymount, and San Diego. But again, that's on the team, not the conference schedule. 

I wouldn't mind for BYU to rejoin the MWC. But, I would only want it if we could play football versus Boise St. and Utah St. every year and Hawaii, UNLV, and SDSU more often than not. Despite the relative proximity and history, there aren't a ton of BYU fans or alumni in Colorado, New Mexico, or Wyoming - especially compared to California, Idaho, Nevada, and Hawaii. But, I'm not sure that type of MWC football schedule is feasible with the now-expanded MWC membership composition.

On 7/19/2018 at 7:26 AM, RogueStout said:

I've been pretty transparent in regards to my feelings about the BYU/Boise State "rivalry", and I am happy to have a long-standing series with the Cougars. I respect the Athletic Program's history, hold no personal animus towards the fan base, and think we have quite a bit in common. I just do not have any fear of this game this year. The Cougars are down, and don't look like they will be threatening anyone this year. I think they will get better, but are still looking for their post Bronco identity.

I really lile playing BYU, too. Reminds me of football when I was a little kid.

5 hours ago, YNot said:

I haven't read the whole thread. Of course BYU isn't OK with the status quo. The 2017 football and basketball teams under performed. 4-9 record. That stinks, regardless of who is on the schedule.

But the status quo has less to do with independence or schedules than it has to do with the 2017 team and coaching staff. BYU lost to Fresno St., Utah St., and ECU. Lost to UMass at home - first ever FBS road win. Portland State was a somewhat competitive game. The 4-9 record can't be blamed on the difficulty of the schedule or the failings of independence - that's on the team and the coaches. It would be EVEN WORSE (from BYU fans' perspectives) if BYU had gone 4-9 in the MWC. And, BYU would likely have gone 4-9 in 2017 even with a full MWC schedule. The 2017 BYU team wouldn't have beaten SDSU, Wyoming, Colorado St. or Air Force. 

And, the whole Gonzaga-to-MWC basketball issue turned into Much Ado About Nothing. Though, of all MWC benefits, I absolutely miss playing SDSU, UNLV, and New Mexico in basketball every year. Those were great rivalry games. But, for the status quo, it doesn't help that the BYU basketball team went 1-5 against Gonzaga and St. Mary's and lost to Pacific, Loyola Marymount, and San Diego. But again, that's on the team, not the conference schedule. 

I wouldn't mind for BYU to rejoin the MWC. But, I would only want it if we could play football versus Boise St. and Utah St. every year and Hawaii, UNLV, and SDSU more often than not. Despite the relative proximity and history, there aren't a ton of BYU fans or alumni in Colorado, New Mexico, or Wyoming - especially compared to California, Idaho, Nevada, and Hawaii. But, I'm not sure that type of MWC football schedule is feasible with the now-expanded MWC membership composition.

Why is 4-9 as independent better than 4-9 in the MWC? I don't see the diffrence.

Also, very tough to discern whether you want to re-join or  not. You say you prefer independence, given the same record, then say that you wouldnt mud coming back. Which is it?

17 hours ago, fearthefumanchu said:

Why is 4-9 as independent better than 4-9 in the MWC? I don't see the diffrence.

Also, very tough to discern whether you want to re-join or  not. You say you prefer independence, given the same record, then say that you wouldnt mud coming back. Which is it?

Why woukd MWC go to 13 (unbalanced) or 14 (7 school divisions- WHO would becadded, NMSU LOL?) to accommodate BYU's return to the MWC?

Where us the argument for why or how that is "good" for the Mountain West, and just why would MWC Presidents vote for that change? The assumption that the MWC woukd be thrilled to get BYU back seems to have no basis in fact.

42 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Why woukd MWC go to 13 (unbalanced) or 14 (7 school divisions- WHO would becadded, NMSU LOL?) to accommodate BYU's return to the MWC?

Where us the argument for why or how that is "good" for the Mountain West, and just why would MWC Presidents vote for that change? The assumption that the MWC woukd be thrilled to get BYU back seems to have no basis in fact.

Wyoming would require travel subsidies if we have to go to Provo

The World Needs More Cowboys!