Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Is BYU ok with the status quo?

Guest #1Stunner
1 hour ago, madmartigan said:

This discussion is not at all about Matt Wells, or any other head MW head coach, for that matter. That said, If you wanted a closer comparison for a head coaches impact early on In their tenures you should compare records from the first two years of each coaches tenure. 

BYU isn’t beating Boise. This might be Harsins best Boise team. For that matter, this might be Matt Wells best USU team as well. 

I don’t think Sitake will be a long term success at BYU. His teams lack the discipline Broncos squads had. He’s too lasseiz fare. 

Yeah, but point is that there are much worse coaches than Kalani Sitake out there.  Matt Wells is far worse.  Some schools gave it worse... 

There was a former BYU RB who was on the radio a while ago, really ripping on Matt Wells.  Not good for recruiting.

Guest #1Stunner
36 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

Unless he is a card carrying mormon they cannot. This is a big part of their problem, unless Andy Reed wants to take a massive pay and prestige cut and live in Provo. 

Andy Reid should stay in the NFL.  He is always giving BYU guys roster spots on the Chiefs.

New Conference Now

BYU

Boise

UNLV

SDSU

Nevada

New Mexico

Colorado State

Houston

SMU

Hawaii (Football Only)

Gonzaga (All Sports but Football)

Stronger than the original MWC with bigger and better cities.

16 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Yeah, but point is that there are much worse coaches than Kalani Sitake out there.  Matt Wells is far worse.  Some schools gave it worse... 

There was a former BYU RB who was on the radio a while ago, really ripping on Matt Wells.  Not good for recruiting.

The same BYU RB that openly ripped BYU too? Guy is a little crazy. 

https://www.cougarboard.com/board/message.html?id=13749034

https://www.cougarcorner.com/viewtopic.php?t=18164

As for Wells vs Sitake... is there enough data to say definitively who is better let alone that Wells is “far worse” ? 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, madmartigan said:

The same BYU RB that openly ripped BYU too? Guy is a little crazy. 

https://www.cougarboard.com/board/message.html?id=13749034

https://www.cougarcorner.com/viewtopic.php?t=18164

As for Wells vs Sitake... is there enough data to say definitively who is better let alone that Wells is “far worse” ? 

All I know is that he apologized to BYU, because Sitake reached out to him.

The guy said he is going to discourage Polynesians from playing for Wells.  We'll see.... 

Yes, Wells has been very damaging to USU.  Gary Andersen was a better coach.   I think Wells has 1 to 2 years left at USU.

Guest #1Stunner
20 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

New Conference Now

BYU

Boise

UNLV

SDSU

Nevada

New Mexico

Colorado State

Houston

SMU

Hawaii (Football Only)

This would be a real P6 Conference.

Would be very strong in football and basketball.

It's no exaggeration to say Sitake has twice the resources to work with that Wells does.

Last year Wells did a very good job. Coming off a 3-9 season during which USU was hard hit by injuries, he returned just five starters on each side of the ball yet got the Aggies to a bowl game. The problem, however, was the same as in 2015: once he got there he couldn't defeat a less talented opponent losing as the favorite both times. Those kinds of losses on national TV when no one else is playing are very bad look for a conference struggling to be even modestly relevant nationally.

But talk about bad looks on national TV, Sitake almost takes the cake. I'll never forget when he went for it on fourth down inside his own five yard line early in the game and didn't make it, thereby gifting his opponent a TD. And last year the guy not only went 4-9 straight up, if you include the off-shore line against Portland State, he also went 4-9 against the point spread. The latter record was one of the half dozen worst in the country. Heck, he lost to horrible UMass and his offense averaged 17.1 ppg. That had to have been BYU's worst offense in 40 years.

So sorry Stunner but Wells has shown himself to be a considerably better coach than Sitake.

Boom goes the dynamite.

21 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

It's no exaggeration to say Sitake has twice the resources to work with that Wells does.

Last year Wells did a very good job. Coming off a 3-9 season during which USU was hard hit by injuries, he returned just five starters on each side of the ball yet got the Aggies to a bowl game. The problem, however, was the same as in 2015: once he got there he couldn't defeat a less talented opponent losing as the favorite both times. Those kinds of losses on national TV when no one else is playing are very bad look for a conference struggling to be even modestly relevant nationally.

But talk about bad looks on national TV, Sitake almost takes the cake. I'll never forget when he went for it on fourth down inside his own five yard line early in the game and didn't make it, thereby gifting his opponent a TD. And last year the guy not only went 4-9 straight up, if you include the off-shore line against Portland State, he also went 4-9 against the point spread. The latter record was one of the half dozen worst in the country. Heck, he lost to horrible UMass and his offense averaged 17.1 ppg. That had to have been BYU's worst offense in 40 years.

So sorry Stunner but Wells has shown himself to be a considerably better coach than Sitake.

I am not a Matt Wells fan boy by any stretch, but this accurate. Wells is maybe a little above average and USU is a hard place to win tons of games. He will have some really nice moments and some head scratching ones too. 

Jury is still out on Sitake this year will tell a lot.

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

Guest #1Stunner
25 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Why are you accounting for injuries for Wells, and not Sitake?

33 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

I agree this is the year Utah State can take that next step build off what they did last season and compete for the mountain division.  I think they are getting overlooked after the job Wells did last year. 

1 hour ago, RebelRobert said:

New Conference Now

BYU

Boise

UNLV

SDSU

Nevada

New Mexico

Colorado State

Houston

SMU

Hawaii (Football Only)

WTF?!?!?! You're slipping....what did you do with the real RR?

Guest #1Stunner
38 minutes ago, HRam said:

Then who is the second most? 

Good question.

Probably UNLV.  Unbiased observation.

14 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Good question.

Probably UNLV.  Unbiased observation.

God I love your contributions.

Y'know, as an impartial, outside observer who admires good performance art. 

2 hours ago, Cincy said:

A BYU fan was saying earlier that he would like to entertain the thought of BYU and NMSU starting a rivalry game.

Makes sense now that they’re both at the same level more or less. 

I think that ship has sailed, Cincy. It appears NMSU has far surpassed BYU at this point.

Maybe BYU and San Joser? Program quality appears about the same. Plus Stunner has told us BYU has severe attendance issues so there is another connector with Joser.

32 minutes ago, nocoolnamejim said:

God I love your contributions.

Y'know, as an impartial, outside observer who admires good performance art. 

In communist russia, there is no performance art. 

13 minutes ago, PackNation said:

I think that ship has sailed, Cincy. It appears NMSU has far surpassed BYU at this point.

Maybe BYU and San Joser? Program quality appears about the same. Plus Stunner has told us BYU has severe attendance issues so there is another connector with Joser.

Hmm...interesting.

Looking at next year’s schedule, BYU will finish sub .500 again. Looks like the pecking order in the state of Utah is now:

1. Utah

2. Utah St.

3. BYU/Weber St./Southern Utah