Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Is BYU ok with the status quo?

During 2011, BYU athletics went for the brass ring and quit the Mountain West, with an objective to reap the benefits of a successful Independent football program a la Notre Dame, Army and UMass.

They're definitely trending toward the UMass "success" at the current rate. 

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/indep/byu-cougars.php

I doubt they will win a road game in football this year.  I think that the church really only cares about home games (possibly road games in Utah and Idaho too) where people can gather together.  California is going to end their chances of going undefeated at home and likely the possibility of bowl eligibility in the second week of the season.

The obvious lack of talent football and basketball is very apparent now.  The cheap shots and dirty tactics reflect how out classed BYU's athletes are.  ESPN is broadcasting their home games now so they recognize how terrible BYU is on the field during their independent period.

I think BYU has a very good chance of getting a deal with Fox Sports rather than ESPN in 2019-20, especially if they want any more money than they are getting now.  Fox will be a player once they get all that $71 Billion from Disney for the right to Marvel (and divest themselves of their RSNs as well).  Fox wants live TV that their audience will watch on their network and they probably think that a lot of "their" audience is in Mormon households.

Guest #1Stunner
35 minutes ago, mugtang said:

These are our terms:

1.  A Boise TV deal guarantee.  Like Boise, we'd need a guarantee that BYU makes at least 3 times what every other MWC school earns, as well as guaranteed ESPN games.

2.  A written apology from Wyoming.  Their fans are abusive and brutes.  Outrageous behavior!  They need to be humbled and apologize before this goes anywhere!!!

3.  A commitment from SJSU, Wyoming, and USU that they will start making their athletic departments competitive in the MWC.  Open the wallet guys.

4.  Hair Thompson fired, and Bob Kustra immediately hired as the MWC Commissioner.

5.  The MWC football conference championship played in New Mexico for the next 10 years.  UNM/Albuquerque being the host city for 8 years, and 2 years at NMSU / Las Cruces.  Game would be called the Land of Enchantment Conference Championship.

6.  SDSU gets to host the basketball conference championship moving forward.

7. Free Aggie Ice Cream served during all conference events and meetings.

3 minutes ago, Cincy said:

Yeah especially since they lost to UMass in Provo last year......

http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400938895

I didn’t know that (see how much attention I pay to them?) :lol:

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Just now, #1Stunner said:

These are our terms:

1.  A Boise TV deal guarantee.  Like Boise, we'd need a guarantee that BYU makes at least 3 times what every other MWC school earns, as well as guaranteed ESPN games.

2.  A written apology from Wyoming.  Their fans are abusive and brutes.  Outrageous behavior.  They need to be humbled, and apologize before this goes anywhere!!!

3.  A commitment from SJSU, Wyoming, and USU that they will start making their athletic departments competitive in the MWC.  Open the wallet.

4.  Hair Thompson fired, and Bob Kustra immediately hired as the MWC Commissioner.

5.  The MWC football conference championship played in New Mexico for the next 10 years.  UNM/Albuquerque veimg the host city for 8 years, and 2 years at NMSU / Las Cruces.  Game would be called the Land of Enchantment Conference Championship.

6.  SDSU gets to host the basketball conference championship moving forward.

7. Free Aggie Ice Cream served during all conference events and meetings.

I can give you points 3, 4 & 7.  Lets have the football championship in Vegas at the new Stadium.  We can rotate the basketball tournament between San Diego & Vegas every year.  An apology is up to the Wyoming people.  Can’t force that.  And let’s scrap the Boise TV deal and share everything equally?  Deal?

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Guest #1Stunner
18 minutes ago, Bruininthebay said:

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/indep/byu-cougars.php

I doubt they will win a road game in football this year.  I think that the church really only cares about home games (possibly road games in Utah and Idaho too) where people can gather together.  California is going to end their chances of going undefeated at home and likely the possibility of bowl eligibility in the second week of the season.

The obvious lack of talent football and basketball is very apparent now.  The cheap shots and dirty tactics reflect how out classed BYU's athletes are.  ESPN is broadcasting their home games now so they recognize how terrible BYU is on the field during their independent period.

I think BYU has a very good chance of getting a deal with Fox Sports rather than ESPN in 2019-20, especially if they want any more money than they are getting now.  Fox will be a player once they get all that $71 Billion from Disney for the right to Marvel (and divest themselves of their RSNs as well).  Fox wants live TV that their audience will watch on their network and they probably think that a lot of "their" audience is in Mormon households.

Tom Holmoe stated just a few weeks ago that BYU is currently negotiating another ESPN deal.  He said ESPN is who BYU will sign another deal.

Tom also stated that BYU playing games in California is crucial. We have got to play games in California.  That means USC, UCLA, SDSU, Cal, Stanford and even SJSU.

Bottom line.  BYU is the most popular basketball school in the western United States.  No other school out west matches BYU's fan attendance!!!   When BYU plays at Logan, half of USU's season ticket holders show up wearing BYU shirts...

Regarding Football.  We are ashamed that attendance was only 57,000 per game last year.  That's embarrassing!!!!  We have got to get the Polynesians on board.  As long as the Tongans, Samoans, and Hawaiians are on board, we have got a team...  Coach Kalani needs to recruit the islands!!!

Final thought:. BYU has got to beat Boise in football!!!!  

Guest #1Stunner
11 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I can give you points 3, 4 & 7.  Lets have the football championship in Vegas at the new Stadium.  We can rotate the basketball tournament between San Diego & Vegas every year.  An apology is up to the Wyoming people.  Can’t force that.  And let’s scrap the Boise TV deal and share everything equally?  Deal?

The MWC has undervalued and disrespected the State of New Mexico for far too long...

What are you offering us New Mexicans?

$69 million in revenue for a 4-9 team may be inefficient but is a lot of money.  I give BYU credit for 'scheduling up' their regular season as an independent after there first couple years of eight or nine G5 schools; it's unlikely they'll be bowl eligible with the front loaded schedule but if they are they'll be pretty good.

Pay attention to the press reports Stunner - Holmoe responding to press reports stating they've had 'discussions' is the same situation Aresco was in.

14 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

The MWC has undervalued and disrespected the State of New Mexico for far too long...

What are you offering us New Mexicans?

I’ll offer New Mexican food at every stadium in the mwc. 

That article in the OP is from back in March.  If Gonzaga had jumped to the MWC that would have put tremendous pressure on BYU to make a change from the status quo.  But Gonzaga stayed put and consequently I expect BYU to do the same for the foreseeable future.

BYU is happy with independence. They will never come back to the Mountain West.

They don't care about winning championships, access to the NY6, etc. They get to play more P5 teams and make more money.

Good for them, but there isn't a clear path forward. Recruiting, prestige, and overall win-loss record are on the decline. Will BYU fans be happy in three to five years, if they keep losing and have an odd year where they're bowl eligible?

If I had to guess, by 2022 they will seek admission into a different G5 conference on the down slope, like the AAC, or more likely, Conference USA.

Agree with CV147 to a point. BYU won't be returning to the MW UNLESS Gonzaga still decides to join AND UNLESS the B12 doesn't lose OU, KU and perhaps another one or two members five or so years from now.

That said, BYU athletics are horribly mismanaged. The only logical reason an inept doofus like Holmoe continues to be employed is because he's a member of the tribe.

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, #1Stunner said:

Wise Pies?

Deal