Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada Convert

MORE WINNING

Mohamed El-Erian, the chief economic advisor for Allianz and one of the most influential financial market thinkers in the world says that the US is winning the trade war. And he said that Trump/USA will prevail in a big way. It’s an interesting article.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/07/09/the-us-is-winning-the-trade-war-says-mohamed-el-erian.html

Trade is pretty complicated and I had no idea if the short term pain would pay off, but it’s looking like Trump may have made a great call on this. It was worth a try at least because nothing else has worked. It just took a prez that knows trade and has monster sized big balls. 

Winning Team or Losing Team? Fvcking duh!

kat.jpg

I was reading another article that said essentially the same thing.  A trade war will hurt China much more than it will hurt us. 

If we are going to go that route, I'm glad we have Trump at the helm.  A trade war is right in his wheel house.  I wouldn't have trusted Obama, either Bush, or Clinton to navigate those waters.

If Trump would tone down his rhetoric and avoid the petty twitter bullshit and getting defensive over the slightest slight, he could end up being among the greats to have sat in the Oval Office.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

23 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I was reading another article that said essentially the same thing.  A trade war will hurt China much more than it will hurt us. 

If we are going to go that route, I'm glad we have Trump at the helm.  A trade war is right in his wheel house.  I wouldn't have trusted Obama, either Bush, or Clinton to navigate those waters.

If Trump would tone down his rhetoric and avoid the petty twitter bullshit and getting defensive over the slightest slight, he could end up being among the greats to have sat in the Oval Office.

No doubt. If Trump were the same person but without the over the top immaturity bone headed stuff, his ceiling would’ve been unreal. Imagine if he had all Republicans supporting and were no never Trumpers. And then he would’ve pealed away a bunch of folks that used to be known as Reagan Democrats. That’s how Reagan won 49 of 50 states in 1984. Trump could’ve been doing the same things if he didn’t have those character flaws. 

kat.jpg

1 minute ago, Nevada Convert said:

No doubt. If Trump were the same person but without the over the top immaturity bone headed stuff, his ceiling would’ve been unreal. Imagine if he had all Republicans supporting and were no never Trumpers. And then he would’ve peaked away a bunch of folks that used to be known as Reagan Democrats. That’s how Reagan won 49 of 50 states in 1984. Trump could’ve been doing the same things if he didn’t have those character flaws. 

Maybe.

Part of the way he's gotten so much of the swing voters and independents and those fed up with both parties is by going after BOTH Party Establishments though.

Not sure he could have courted the winning coalition without his schtick.

His goal totally isn't to be popular, he could care less; he just wants to position himself as a less undesirable alternative to the Democrat candidates he faces. He is bad, Hillary was worse. We'll see if Democrats can get smart and not run an unelectable Progressive in 2020- I bet they DO. If they do, it'll make it that much easier for him to see reelection.

9 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Maybe.

Part of the way he's gotten so much of the swing voters and independents and those fed up with both parties is by going after BOTH Party Establishments though.

Not sure he could have courted the winning coalition without his schtick.

His goal totally isn't to be popular, he could care less; he just wants to position himself as a less undesirable alternative to the Democrat candidates he faces. He is bad, Hillary was worse. We'll see if Democrats can get smart and not run an unelectable Progressive in 2020- I bet they DO. If they do, it'll make it that much easier for him to see reelection.

He doesn't need to get down in the mud with celebs.

It's sophomoric and demeaning to the office he holds, IMO.

It's worth it, but it's hardly necessary.  

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

1 minute ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

He doesn't need to get down in the mud with celebs.

It's sophomoric and demeaning to the office he holds, IMO.

It's worth it, but it's hardly necessary.  

Although people love the way he fights back against Dem’s and others that fire shots at him, he gets too petty sometimes and it makes him look like he has no class and just too immature. Having said that, Bush ignored shots at him and thought he’d take the high road and look like the adult. You can still look like you have class while you counter the attacks, and that was his big mistake. He let too many enemies define him. 

kat.jpg

We should also consider the “pissed off” factor. It is true we will likely hold the upper hand in the trade wars. OTOH there will be a lot of pissed off countries where we may need their help in the future who will tell us to +++++ off. I think we can push it to a certain degree, but must be careful to not go over the line. Start with a hard line approach and back off to a negotiated agreement. 

Some people seem to thrive on confrontation. Trump is one of those. 

2 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

We should also consider the “pissed off” factor. It is true we will likely hold the upper hand in the trade wars. OTOH there will be a lot of pissed off countries where we may need their help in the future who will tell us to +++++ off. I think we can push it to a certain degree, but must be careful to not go over the line. Start with a hard line approach and back off to a negotiated agreement. 

You mean, the way they've been treating the US ever since the end of the Cold War?

Yeah, like that.

Screw em.