Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

soupslam1

Wyoming Cowboys Racists?

Why would it be racist to celebrate the contributions the Spanish, Mexicans and Indians have made to one of the shittier aspects of American popular culture?

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

3 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Why would it be racist to celebrate the contributions the Spanish, Mexicans and Indians have made to one of the shittier aspects of American popular culture?

Valley girls?

The World Needs More Cowboys!

Just now, pokebball said:

Valley girls?

Is that CSU Long Beach's mascot?

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

Well done OP. There should be at least two threads about this.

We might also want to open one on the recruiting board and discuss how this might affect out-of-state recruiting for Wyoming. 

9 minutes ago, Fort Fun said:

Well done OP. There should be at least two threads about this.

We might also want to open one on the recruiting board and discuss how this might affect out-of-state recruiting for Wyoming. 

I can tell you that effect; Wyoming is going to have much less success with recruting female players to the Football Team, due to such a RACIST, SEXIST mascot!

It may be sexist but about 25% of cowboys were black so the racist part probably doesn't apply.  Many cowboys in the mid to late 1860's were not heroes anyway (Billy the Kid and the likes of the Lincoln County War come to mind).

1 hour ago, smltwnrckr said:

WTF? Ranching has been a way of life in the west since the Spanish arrived in 1598. I grew up on a small ranch in New Mexico and to this day I consider myself two things, a Marine and a cowboy. It's a hard life, but calling it one of the shittier aspects of American culture is ludicrous.

5 hours ago, sean327 said:

WTF? Ranching has been a way of life in the west since the Spanish arrived in 1598. I grew up on a small ranch in New Mexico and to this day I consider myself two things, a Marine and a cowboy. It's a hard life, but calling it one of the shittier aspects of American culture is ludicrous.

Real cowboys are totally different than the cosplay cowboys you see a lot of places, I think that's what he was referring to

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard.