Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

soupslam1

Roe Vs Wade

Considering the new justice being added to the Supreme Court, can the Roe vs Wade decision be revisited as some Democrats appear to be implying? I’m not an abortion proponent, but a pragmatist and don’t want to see women have to return to back alley abortions. 

Just now, soupslam1 said:

Considering the new justice being added to the Supreme Court, can the Roe vs Wade decision be revisited as some Democrats appear to be implying? I’m not an abortion proponent, but a pragmatist and don’t want to see women return to back alley abortions. 

NPR did a bit on this and said there would likely not be a return to the pre Roe v Wade days due to the widespread availability of the morning after pill and other abortion-inducing drugs. Apparently you can order them easy on your phone. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

Considering the new justice being added to the Supreme Court, can the Roe vs Wade decision be revisited as some Democrats appear to be implying? I’m not an abortion proponent, but a pragmatist and don’t want to see women have to return to back alley abortions. 

I really hate the dishonesty of the Media and Left, constantly referring to Roe v Wade. It has been completely eclipsed by other SCOTUS rulings since, most notably Planned Parenthood vs Casey, 1992.

Truth is, Roe had HUGE problems with its legal rationale, and as a SCOTUS decision, it was crap. Probably the right conclusion, but not supported by the correct legal reasoning. As such, legal scholars have assailed the 'logic' used in Roe for decades, and even our favorite Notorious RBG has picked on Roe as a "poorly reasoned opinion" by the court, even before she was a Justice.

It would be much more honest for everyone to refer to specifically Planned Parenthood vs Casey (1992) as the gold standard definding the "Right to Abortion", which is NOT tied to a woman's right to privacy, but has been defined as its own inherent right, using a reasonable legal rationale that should stand up to any possible Circuit Court Challenges.

Most likely, the SCOTUS won't even hear another abortion-related case again, unless one comes by way of the "limiting access to abortion services in an undue manner" angle. Since the boundaries for that are pretty clearly defined, it's doubtful many cases will ever get a writ, as long as Circuit Courts don't go rogue and ignore SCOTUS precedent on the issues.

This means you, 9th Circuit!

Highly unlikely that any REAL challenge to "PP/Casey" is even entertained by the SCOTUS. Also key to remember that a 6-3 Conservative majority also REFUSED to even hear a challenge to PP/Casey. As such, it is a pretty settled portion of current caselaw, but that doesn't stop Social Conservatives on the Right from dreaming about it.

It's as likely a case to be heard as a direct challenge to the 2nd Amendment; not at all, we're only dealing with defining the limiting boundaries of the issues, not the core issues themselves.

22 minutes ago, Thomas said:

I really hate the dishonesty of the Media and Left, constantly referring to Roe v Wade. It has been completely eclipsed by other SCOTUS rulings since, most notably Planned Parenthood vs Casey, 1992.

Donald Trump on July 2nd:

“Maybe someday it will be to the states,” he said. “You never know how that’s going to turn out. That’s a very complex question. The Roe v. Wade is probably the one that people are talking about in terms of having an effect, but we’ll see what happens. But it could very well end up with states at some point.”

Just now, Old_SD_Dude said:

Donald Trump on July 2nd:

“Maybe someday it will be to the states,” he said. “You never know how that’s going to turn out. That’s a very complex question. The Roe v. Wade is probably the one that people are talking about in terms of having an effect, but we’ll see what happens. But it could very well end up with states at some point.”

Yeah, he's WAY off base with that.

Invoke the "Trump Rule", don't give a shet about what he SAYS, only what he actually DOES.

Roe has been 'dead' for 25 years, Trump off the cuff statements aren't changing the actual legal precedent in place, and thank goodness NO POTUS statements from any of them change any of it, that's why we have a Judicial Branch.

1 minute ago, Thomas said:

Yeah, he's WAY off base with that.

Invoke the "Trump Rule", don't give a shet about what he SAYS, only what he actually DOES.

Roe has been 'dead' for 25 years, Trump off the cuff statements aren't changing the actual legal precedent in place, and thank goodness NO POTUS statements from any of them change any of it, that's why we have a Judicial Branch.

Ok. Just wanted to make clear that you hate it when the media and the left does something but it’s ok to ignore Trump doing the same thing. 

4 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Ok. Just wanted to make clear that you hate it when the media and the left does something but it’s ok to ignore Trump doing the same thing. 

Not at all.

I straight up said Trump was wrong, but remember; I don't believe in even taking seriously 99% of what Trump SAYS, only what he DOES.

He has diarrhea of the mouth, but his actions don't tend to even match what he SAYS very often. It's not worth listening to him, only following policy shifts.

2 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Gorsuch and other justices are on record saying it is precedent.   They would have to do an about face on a polarized issue to even take a row versus wade challenge.   I doubt the court would even take a case.

Roe v Wade won’t be overturned.  This is just scare tactics by the left to raise money for their candidates.  The right does the same thing with guns and gun control.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

18 minutes ago, jackmormon said:

When JB Sessions first asked Trump about Roe Vs Wade, Trump thought he was talking about the decision George Washington made when crossing the Delaware.

OK that was funny s**t there.

No Roe v Wade will be overturned. Again just scared tactics which like I said before I am personally getting tired of being used on both sides. But also media helps with that as well on both sides. Same with the new statement I have seen coming out about the SCOTUS overturning Obama care. That isn't going to happen either, even though I think the reasoning they used to support it was dumb, I don't disagree with it but they could have done a better argument behind it. 

This kind of reminds me of the McCain/Obama election with some reactions people had to it. The whole sky is falling thing no matter who won the election. It seems people are more interested in over reacting to things then actually sitting down to look at the things they are over reacting about.

States will put ever increasing restrictions on abortion, and the SCOTUS will more than likely uphold all of them.

The well off, including Republican mistresses, will still have access to legal abortions. We will have to wait and see what solutions are found for those without the resources.

6 hours ago, mugtang said:

Roe v Wade won’t be overturned.  This is just scare tactics by the left to raise money for their candidates.  The right does the same thing with guns and gun control.  

The right doesn't even need to do it. CNN props up H.S. kids to do it for them. California lawmakers do it for them. lol.

The whole Roe v Wade thing is nutty how it is even getting traction. Then again it seems people are only getting more paranoid by the tweet/segment/article/thread.

29 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

It seems people are more interested in over reacting to things then actually sitting down to look at the things they are over reacting about.

Took you awhile to see this? over 18 months into office...

R4g9m5.gif

Thought there'd be more dead bodies along this Trump death trip. Election, taxes, net neutrality, Gorsuch....now this sicko abortion freak frat boy Brett.

5 minutes ago, jackmormon said:

States will put ever increasing restrictions on abortion, and the SCOTUS will more than likely uphold all of them.

The well off, including Republican mistresses, will still have access to legal abortions. We will have to wait and see what solutions are found for those without the resources.

It's crazy. You'd think all these rich old white guys would wanna keep their white babies and wouldn't mind the poor black and brown ones being aborted.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

Roe v Wade is terrible.  And I'm essentially pro choice, albeit with restrictions. (which is actually the centrist position on the issue). 

It would have been far better to have it play out politically and allow the public to reach a consensus, than trap the issue in a time warp because of judicial legislation.

8 hours ago, mugtang said:

And also Roe v Wade! It’s the cash cow that keeps giving.

1 minute ago, NVGiant said:

And also Roe v Wade! It’s the cash cow that keeps giving.

Here’s what happens whenever there’s an election or a Supreme Court nominee.  

X person is going to take away Y right and millions will die (or you will be defenseless).  Give to Z person now to stop X from taking away Y right!

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

3 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Here’s what happens whenever there’s an election or a Supreme Court nominee.  

X person is going to take away Y right and millions will die (or you will be defenseless).  Give to Z person now to stop X from taking away Y right!

Yep. And let’s burn this bitch down if we don’t get our way.