Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fort Fun

Wyoming under fire for being racist and sexist

7 minutes ago, pokebball said:

You may be right, however, understand that this campaign includes much more, much of which hasn't been completed and released yet.  This tagline is only a part of the campaign.  I share your concern and hope the rest of the deliverables include all of the above.

I await "Let's go Cowwin'!!" in breathless anticipation.

What's interesting to me is how those opposed say that it brings to their minds things that are racist and sexist.

Maybe they should consider whether there's something wrong with their minds?

Everyone knows that historical cowboys were a diverse group.

11 minutes ago, wyorev said:

While I find it silly that folks think the slogan is anything but inclusive, I do think it's a bit half-assed.  This caricature of the "cowboy" means nothing to the demographic that this slogan/marketing campaign is aimed at.  Steamboat and the "cowboy spirit" may mean something to we natives, but it's most definitely lost on younger generations - especially those without any connections to the State of Wyoming.  Honestly, the University needs to distance itself somewhat from the "old west", and focus on marketing its true strengths - a well funded, small, public institution that provides affordable, quality education and great access to outdoor recreation opportunities.  Get these prospective students through the door, and you bet they will learn about Wyoming culture and the "cowboy spirit" that goes along with it.

Yeah, my initial reaction was that I doubt "the world needs more cowboys" is going to persuade a high school girl to leave her hometown and relocate to Laramie for college. But I'm sure the TV ads and the rest of the campaign will add a little more context, so I'll withhold judgement until it's released... but on the other hand, it's the brainchild of some company in Boulder, so good luck with that.

Anyone else love watching the commercial spots that schools get during halftime and judging them unmercifully? I wonder if SDSU is going to bring back that same commercial they've been running for over three years now with that girl walking around campus asking questions to the camera. I feel like she's part of my family at this point. 

12 minutes ago, Fort Fun said:

Yeah, my initial reaction was that I doubt "the world needs more cowboys" is going to persuade a high school girl to leave her hometown and relocate to Laramie for college. But I'm sure the TV ads and the rest of the campaign will add a little more context, so I'll withhold judgement until it's released... but on the other hand, it's the brainchild of some company in Boulder, so good luck with that.

I read it as targeted towards kids in... say... North Platte and Stirling and Rapid City and Greeley who think "I'm a rural ag kid, I like that" and it gets the foot in the door. Would also explain the skepticism, that isn't exactly the demographic that is going to increase women's studies enrollement. 

Furthermore it would probably play well in the south despite the huge cultural gap between us. 

12 minutes ago, Fort Fun said:

Anyone else love watching the commercial spots that schools get during halftime and judging them unmercifully? I wonder if SDSU is going to bring back that same commercial they've been running for over three years now with that girl walking around campus asking questions to the camera. I feel like she's part of my family at this point. 

Sure, and watching other conferences to judge their commercials. It's fun to try to predict what a new school's commercial will be based on what you know about it

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Saying that cowboy means both genders seams silly. In the picture posted above the lady is refereed to as a cowgirl. That said, I think if you are assuming that the slogan only means you want white men at the school you are being equally silly. I am sure the rest of the campaign will have this make more sense, and it appears to me to just be fake outrage to get somebody attention. Looks like it is working.

The thing I don't understand is when some people explain that they are trying to use the slogan to help redefine what "cowboy" means, those offended by the slogan then say how stupid that is and how impossible it is to redefine the term "cowboy".  

Remind me again who is being close minded?

14 minutes ago, Wyoguns said:

I'm going out on a limb and saying the faculty member is a tundra hog who hates men because none of the will pet her sweaty thing....

http://www.uwyo.edu/kandh/department-directory/faculty/c_porter.html

Dissenters including myself must admit she has a very impressive educational background. Props to Wyoming for bringing her aboard.

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

Letter writer obviously doesn't know this "cowboy":

Related image

DeBoraha Akin (Townson) became the first Black cowgirl to compete in the International Professional Rodeo Finals in 1990.

Unfortunately, Leftist SJW Professors don't care to be open minded nor understand anything, they just want something else to attack on their crusade to ruin everything great in every part of America.

Their goal is an unhappy world with no fun, no beauty, and zero cultural expression. Book-Burning on the Quad at 11!

55 minutes ago, SF-SJSU02 said:

Saying that cowboy means both genders seams silly. In the picture posted above the lady is refereed to as a cowgirl. That said, I think if you are assuming that the slogan only means you want white men at the school you are being equally silly. I am sure the rest of the campaign will have this make more sense, and it appears to me to just be fake outrage to get somebody attention. Looks like it is working.

Cow is female

Boy is male

It's not that difficult

tenor.gif?itemid=5927908

The World Needs More Cowboys!

16 hours ago, happycamper said:

I read it as targeted towards kids in... say... North Platte and Stirling and Rapid City and Greeley who think "I'm a rural ag kid, I like that" and it gets the foot in the door. Would also explain the skepticism, that isn't exactly the demographic that is going to increase women's studies enrollement. 

Furthermore it would probably play well in the south despite the huge cultural gap between us. 

Sure, and watching other conferences to judge their commercials. It's fun to try to predict what a new school's commercial will be based on what you know about it

And that is all well and good - that is a demographic the university should also be targeting.  Here is my question though - do we target agricultural students to an agricultural university, or do we target prospective students more broadly?  UW has made substantial investments in STEM education, and if our first thought after seeing the slogan is that it's targeted towards students with an agricultural background or agricultural ambitions, then something is amiss.  Let's remember that most people in Wyoming don't work in the agricultural industry.  They work in the service and energy industries.

As pokebball noted above, I need to see the rest of the marketing campaign materials before I pass final judgement.

Still, doesn't this feel a little...well, lazy?

"The world needs more [insert mascot here]"

Gannett_2.jpg.404db0bd7deb615b1ec5699694fae130.jpg

15 hours ago, pokebball said:

Cow is female

Boy is male

It's not that difficult

tenor.gif?itemid=5927908

You implying something about the sexual preferences of racist, sexist “cowboys”?

San Jose State
Announced: 85,235
Scanned: 33,892
Percentage: 39.8%
Actual Attendance Per Game: 5,648

You can have more than one commercial depending on who you are targeting at the time ...

The world needs more integrity

The world needs more honesty

The world needs more Cowgirls

The world needs more Cowboys

The world needs more Vaqueros

etc.

God is a Cowboy

WYO.jpg