Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fort Fun

Wyoming under fire for being racist and sexist

Wyoming's new slogan "The world needs more Cowboys" is under fire for being racist and sexist:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/university-wyomings-new-slogan-world-needs-cowboys-fire-sexist-racist-214924456.html

Will Wyoming back down and change it? Has PC culture finally infiltrated one of America's last bastions of Redneckia?

The best thing about this story is that Wyoming paid a firm in Boulder $500,000 to come up with this.

I think this is the third article I've seen on it, and they all say "under fire".

I never knew that a single whiny letter led something to be "under fire". 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 minute ago, happycamper said:

I think this is the third article I've seen on it, and they all say "under fire".

I never knew that a single whiny letter led something to be "under fire". 

I must be under fire all the time then....

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

16 minutes ago, Bob said:

I do find it hilarious and ironic that a firm from Boulder of all places came up with the campaign slogan. 

Right? I was thoroughly enjoying the article, then it ended with the $500k/Boulder tidbit. I know this GIF is overused at this point, but I was literally like this:

happy antonio banderas GIF

25 minutes ago, Fort Fun said:

Right? I was thoroughly enjoying the article, then it ended with the $500k/Boulder tidbit. I know this GIF is overused at this point, but I was literally like this:

happy antonio banderas GIF

Apparently no Wyoming companies bid on the project. Sigh. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

45 minutes ago, Bob said:

This has got to be the zenith of PC bullshit. 

I do find it hilarious and ironic that a firm from Boulder of all places came up with the campaign slogan. 

It is.  And if they back down, they are pussies.

Someone mentioned a letter.  Do we know who wrote it?

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

3 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

It is.  And if they back down, they are pussies.

Someone mentioned a letter.  Do we know who wrote it?

Yeah, it was a woman's study lady. Her basic argument was that using "Cowboy" as part of a marketing strategy to out of state students (which this is) would backfire, and then she added a bunch of words like heteronormative noninclusive because getting to the point is just boring I guess. 

I don't really get why using "Cowboy" to sell a state that is rural with a huge agricultural sector with a cowboy on the license plates and a cowboy as the university mascot and image and a cowboy as the state nickname and a cowboy literally on the state flag and 15,000 images of a cowboy around campus is going to be a problem. We get kids who want to go to school away from home in a smaller campus who don't want to break the bank, "cowboy" fits perfectly. 

certainly not racist as anyone can go and be a "Cowboy" if they want to.  It's almost like saying the word "hippie" is racist because it refers to whites.  

And Cowboy or the "Cowboy way" is not sexist at all as it encompasses women, almost like the word "humans" means men and women.  

And the most important thing to remember is Wyoming 16 - CSU 13

25 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Yeah, it was a woman's study lady. Her basic argument was that using "Cowboy" as part of a marketing strategy to out of state students (which this is) would backfire, and then she added a bunch of words like heteronormative noninclusive because getting to the point is just boring I guess. 

I don't really get why using "Cowboy" to sell a state that is rural with a huge agricultural sector with a cowboy on the license plates and a cowboy as the university mascot and image and a cowboy as the state nickname and a cowboy literally on the state flag and 15,000 images of a cowboy around campus is going to be a problem. We get kids who want to go to school away from home in a smaller campus who don't want to break the bank, "cowboy" fits perfectly. 

She should transfer to UC Davis. 

Also, what does one do with a degree in Women's Studies? 

Maybe you guys should become the Wyoming Cow People, or is that offensive to fat people and vegetarians?

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

Guest #1Stunner
53 minutes ago, Jalapeno said:

The PC crowd has lost its mind...there are black & Mexican cowboys and cowgirls...how could it be racist & sexist?

Don't forget Hawaiian Cowboys.

Paniolos-Greg-Mau.jpg

There are black cowboys, there are gay cowboys, there are women cowboys, there are also hispanic cowboys. This is just another example of someone not liking someone so they decide to throw out words to try to make it evil.

Guest #1Stunner

A different school even has "Mexican Cowboy" as it's mascot.  So her charge that Cowboy is racist to people of color is dumb.

Image result for rio grande valley vaqueros

3 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Write letters to the pride of the Cowboy State, the University of Wyoming Cowboys, about how using Cowboy in marketing campaigns is misguided

1 hour ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Maybe you guys should become the Wyoming Cow People, or is that offensive to fat people and vegetarians?

I don't know but I'm guessing a degree in woman's studies makes you a man hating pain in the ass!