Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

CBS Sports 2018 College Football Hot Seat Rankings

Guest elefish92

I personally don't judge coaches until 4 years have passed. That's when their seniors arrive, all of the impact from the previous coach goes away, and the meat of the team perform. Not everyone is Tom Herman unfortunately

That being said, I strongly agree with @RebelRobert...absolutely this is the year UNLV has to perform, and Armani Rogers is an incoming third-year student

16 hours ago, Headbutt said:

Bobo has all the leash he wants for now. Another 7-6 won’t change that this year. 

How 'bout after he goes 4-8 this year?

Boom goes the dynamite.

can't see anything wrong with the list.   I doubt anyone but Davie has a real shot at getting fired this year but Rolo needs to show something soon, and Bobo has to stop finding new and better ways to finish 7-6

On 7/9/2018 at 11:46 AM, kingpotato said:

Harsin should be in the "Win or be fired" category. 

#fireharsin

I know you're joking, but this probably isn't that far from the truth.  If BSU went 6-6 or worse this year, I think he would have a good chance of being fired.  If 7-5 or 8-4, he'll be on the hot seat next year.  

31 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

I know you're joking, but this probably isn't that far from the truth.  If BSU went 6-6 or worse this year, I think he would have a good chance of being fired.  If 7-5 or 8-4, he'll be on the hot seat next year.  

Any Boise football coach is in a constant state of "win or be fired." The only HC to ever be fired at Boise State ended with a 42-28 record... not good enough. 

8 hours ago, elefish92 said:

I personally don't judge coaches until 4 years have passed. That's when their seniors arrive, all of the impact from the previous coach goes away, and the meat of the team perform. Not everyone is Tom Herman unfortunately

That being said, I strongly agree with @RebelRobert...absolutely this is the year UNLV has to perform, and Armani Rogers is an incoming third-year student

I do think most coaches should get 4 years; but you can start to draw conclusions after the second year, and generally by year 3 you know whether a coach is going to be fired or extended/leave for a better job. 

2 hours ago, kingpotato said:

Any Boise football coach is in a constant state of "win or be fired." The only HC to ever be fired at Boise State ended with a 42-28 record... not good enough. 

Setencich went 24-20.  He technically wasn't fired because he resigned and went to Cal Poly but I think he counts just as much as Skip Hall.

3 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Harsin's "buyout" is close to $10 million.  There is no way he gets fired unless he has 2 or possibly 3 seasons with fewer than 8 wins.

https://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/chadd-cripe/article191963934.html

8 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

How 'bout after he goes 4-8 this year?

Bobo's buyout is similar to Harsin's (by "buyout," I mean the amount of money that the school would have to pay to cover all of the years that the coach is under contract).  I think he also has at least two more years minimum.  He is the highest paid coach in the conference.

23 hours ago, AKram said:

Agreed on this year. But I don't think that the tether holding him to CSU is all that long. An argument can be made that new staff deserves no turnover, but for how long? This is probably a 6 win season and excuses will be made toward new staff or growing pains or new schemes. Next year that won't fly.

I agree about next season for Bobo.  Arkansas will be in its second year of their coaching tenure and they might not be done transitioning to that offense.  That season will also be CSU's best chance to beat CU (even if CU has improved talent across the board due to better recruiting the last several years) in awhile since CU might be replacing the QB (if Montez leaves early), a few starting WRs, and RBs in addition to perhaps a few OL along with at least two starting DL.

CSU has a new OC, DC, and STC in addition to new QB and OL.  That's why I don't think CSU goes bowling this season.  Perhaps next season CSU guns for the division championship after taking a step back this season.  

17 hours ago, Spot50B said:

Setencich went 24-20.  He technically wasn't fired because he resigned and went to Cal Poly but I think he counts just as much as Skip Hall.

I'll buy that. That just reinforces the original point. Having a winning record isn't good enough at Boise State. 

59 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

I'll buy that. That just reinforces the original point. Having a winning record isn't good enough at Boise State. 

Maybe fan expectations are just a bit overblown for BSU fans?

Some of us remember 12 straight losses to Idaho, after all.

2 hours ago, Thomas said:

Maybe fan expectations are just a bit overblown for BSU fans?

Some of us remember 12 straight losses to Idaho, after all.

That's a single minded focus. During that time they also had multiple top-25 seasons, multiple Championship appearances, and even making it as far as the Semi's through all that. Basing your results on a single game instead of the whole picture isn't seeing the forest through the trees.

4 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

That's a single minded focus. During that time they also had multiple top-25 seasons, multiple Championship appearances, and even making it as far as the Semi's through all that. Basing your results on a single game instead of the whole picture isn't seeing the forest through the trees.

I understand that, I just worry that many Bronco fans, especially the younger ones, have a ridiculous expectation of winning, because they don't really remember a time when we had losing seasons & struggles. Hell, an 8-5 season with a Bowl win is seen as a "down season" by many BSU fans at this point, and that's just not a realistic standard of performance to expect constantly over the long term.

We shall see. I hope Bronco fans temper their enthusiasm with a little dose of reality, it seems like after a couple of losses, the "Fire **Any Coach**" nonsense starts up way too quickly.

2 minutes ago, Thomas said:

I understand that, I just worry that many Bronco fans, especially the younger ones, have a ridiculous expectation of winning, because they don't really remember a time when we had losing seasons & struggles. Hell, an 8-5 season with a Bowl win is seen as a "down season" by many BSU fans at this point, and that's just not a realistic standard of performance to expect constantly over the long term.

We shall see. I hope Bronco fans temper their enthusiasm with a little dose of reality, it seems like after a couple of losses, the "Fire **Any Coach**" nonsense starts up way too quickly.

Yeah, but the reality is that the winning % for the school has roughly maintained through Junior College, and then 1-AA, and now FBS. It actually has been something they have maintained through 80 years of football. Now, that doesn't mean that will happen indefinitely forever, but 80 years of winning 3 out of 4 games is a pretty large sample size.  

1 minute ago, kingpotato said:

Yeah, but the reality is that the winning % for the school has roughly maintained through Junior College, and then 1-AA, and now FBS. It actually has been something they have maintained through 80 years of football. Now, that doesn't mean that will happen indefinitely forever, but 80 years of winning 3 out of 4 games is a pretty large sample size.  

True, even when you figure in the more mediocre Skippy & Sentenich eras.