Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

CBS Sports 2018 College Football Hot Seat Rankings

Untouchable
Nobody

Safe and Secure
Craig Bohl
Bryan Harsin
Jeff Tedford

All Good ... For Now
Troy Calhoun
Rocky Long
Matt Wells

Pressure is Mounting
Mike Bobo
Brent Brennan
Jay Norvell 
Nick Rolovich

Start Improving Now
Tony Sanchez

Win or be Fired
Bob Davie

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/2018-college-football-hot-seat-rankings-evaluating-job-security-of-all-129-fbs-coaches/

7 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Untouchable
Nobody

Safe and Secure
Craig Bohl
Bryan Harsin
Jeff Tedford

All Good ... For Now
Troy Calhoun
Rocky Long
Matt Wells

Pressure is Mounting
Mike Bobo
Brent Brennan
Jay Norvell 
Nick Rolovich

Start Improving Now
Tony Sanchez

Win or be Fired
Bob Davie

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/2018-college-football-hot-seat-rankings-evaluating-job-security-of-all-129-fbs-coaches/

I think Norvell should be in the All Good...For Now category.  Last season was his first year. Otherwise I agree with the list. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

I'm sure some of Rocky's die hard supporters will say he remains "untouchable" and if they have info I once had but no longer do, maybe they're correct. IMO, he continues to do a very good job but at this critical juncture with the stadium issue up in the air, you just can't afford to blow off bowl games and lose as a sizable favorite because it sends a bad message to casual fans about the school's commitment to football.

Just gotta ask. Do BYU fans think Bronco's rating is too high? I don't. That program was in the toilet when he took over.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Spot on about Davie. Win (make a bowl game), or hot the road... that simple for him. Fans will be unforgiving if he doesn’t win, and even if he does, and eels our a bowl invite, it’ll still be ruff for him. Either way, IMO, this is his last season as our head coach.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

7 minutes ago, LoboMan59 said:

Spot on about Davie. Win (make a bowl game), or hot the road... that simple for him. Fans will be unforgiving if he doesn’t win, and even if he does, and eels our a bowl invite, it’ll still be ruff for him. Either way, IMO, this is his last season as our head coach.

I believe you are correct in your assessment. Davie brought the program back from the disaster left by Locksley and he should get credit for that. Where the program goes from there is anybody's guess. Any coach we get that has any success will be gone in 4 years tops. I've come to the realization that other than Rocky and Davie, UNM will just be a jumping off point for the next line of coaches.

1 hour ago, kingpotato said:

Harsin should be in the "Win or be fired" category. 

#fireharsin

Harsin should be in his own category, called "Pick better Offensive Coordinators, or you're Fired".

While it makes sense that Bobo is in the Pressure Is Mounting group, I think it is better said that he'd Start Improving Now especially since he's got his team. These are his recruits, little to no leftovers from the McElwain stint. He went out and got new coaches. Time to start improving and winning. Another 7-6 (or worse) and I think boosters will start calling for a change. I don't believe it'll happen because there was probably some sort of "job security" clause included in Jancek and the other new coaches contracts that'll hold Bobo around for a year after that. Bobo's leash is really, really short.

4 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Just gotta ask. Do BYU fans think Bronco's rating is too high? I don't. That program was in the toilet when he took over.

"All good...for now" seems about right to me.

2 hours ago, AKram said:

While it makes sense that Bobo is in the Pressure Is Mounting group, I think it is better said that he'd Start Improving Now especially since he's got his team. These are his recruits, little to no leftovers from the McElwain stint. He went out and got new coaches. Time to start improving and winning. Another 7-6 (or worse) and I think boosters will start calling for a change. I don't believe it'll happen because there was probably some sort of "job security" clause included in Jancek and the other new coaches contracts that'll hold Bobo around for a year after that. Bobo's leash is really, really short.

Bobo has all the leash he wants for now. Another 7-6 won’t change that this year. 

6 hours ago, retrofade said:

Untouchable
Nobody

Safe and Secure
Craig Bohl
Bryan Harsin
Jeff Tedford

All Good ... For Now
Troy Calhoun
Rocky Long
Matt Wells

Pressure is Mounting
Mike Bobo
Brent Brennan
Jay Norvell 
Nick Rolovich

Start Improving Now
Tony Sanchez

Win or be Fired
Bob Davie

Calhoun is untouchable. 

Unless Rolovich goes winless (including losing to an FCS team) in 2018. He will get another shot in 2019 since he’s working through a lot of changes like back to the RnS along with new QB. 

Our AD is very price conscious with coaches. And unless Rolo fails completely and attendance starts sliding to under 15k. He won’t be fired yet. If he has another losing season in 2019, he will be gone though.

6 hours ago, namssa said:

Personally I think Rocky is untouchable, but at a minimum he's should be in the Safe and Secure section.

They only have 11 schools in nation have a coach in the "untouchable" category. No sure is Rocky is that high but I agree for now he should be in the safe and secure section. 

I think I would move Rocky Long into the Safe and Secure category.

I would move Jay Norvell and Brent Brennan into the All Good for Now category since it is their second year's with their schools.

Maybe move Sanchez into the pressure is mounting

Otherwise OK list

If High School Sanchez can’t win (at least six games) this year he has to be removed.

Any new big time UNLV hire deserves a year to recruit before entering the new stadium in 2020.

Sanchez is win or be fired.

14 hours ago, retrofade said:

Untouchable
Nobody

Safe and Secure
Craig Bohl
Bryan Harsin
Jeff Tedford

All Good ... For Now
Troy Calhoun
Rocky Long
Matt Wells

Pressure is Mounting
Mike Bobo
Brent Brennan
Jay Norvell 
Nick Rolovich

Start Improving Now
Tony Sanchez

Win or be Fired
Bob Davie

Rocky Long is untouchable. This is stupid. 

I agree with the rankings for all Front Rage coaches.  This is going to be a pivotal season for MacIntyre...CU's schedule this season isn't much different from the 2016 season when the Buffs won 10 games and the Pac-12 South.  The South is as wide open as any division so any team can win that division this season.

Bobo doesn't have the pressure that MacIntyre is facing but he really could help himself with another bowl game this season.  Bobo leads the Rams to a bowl game, either he's gone after this season or next season...better work on that buyout clause.

Calhoun at Air Force...guess the job is his until he no longer wants it.

Bohl at Wyoming...given that the Nebraska job went to Frost, he might hang around Laramie for awhile.

14 hours ago, Headbutt said:

Bobo has all the leash he wants for now. Another 7-6 won’t change that this year. 

Agreed on this year. But I don't think that the tether holding him to CSU is all that long. An argument can be made that new staff deserves no turnover, but for how long? This is probably a 6 win season and excuses will be made toward new staff or growing pains or new schemes. Next year that won't fly.