Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alum93

Wyoming vs NMSU

18 hours ago, pokebball said:

The HATC is state of the art and with all of the interest at our pro day and the visibility it got...life is good

Given the long distance and fact the teams rarely play,  how many Wyoming fans do you think will make the trip?  Coming off a bowl win and starting with a MWC opponent, i am guessing home crowd will be in 17k-20k range.  

50 minutes ago, alum93 said:

Given the long distance and fact the teams rarely play,  how many Wyoming fans do you think will make the trip?  Coming off a bowl win and starting with a MWC opponent, i am guessing home crowd will be in 17k-20k range.  

Interesting trivia - this is the earliest game for my Pokes ever, in our almost 120yr history.

I honestly don't have an idea how many might make the trip.  I thought about it but will most likely be heading up to the NW to spend a long weekend with my son.  Let me ask around and see how many tickets Poke fans might have purchased through our ticket office.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

6 minutes ago, ole blu dude said:

Wyoming fans can and do travel well, they bring a bunch of fans to Logan great people.

Yeah, if any of the fans on this board make it down i would be game for a beer and some good Mexican food.  Lots of good restaurants in the area for chile lovers.  

2 hours ago, alum93 said:

Not many.  Most that I know are going to the Missouri game for the out of conference away trip.  Wyoming was well represented in Iowa City last year.  Las Cruces in August isn't very appealing.

56 minutes ago, ole blu dude said:

Wyoming fans can and do travel well, they bring a bunch of fans to Logan great people.

That is a shorter trip for many Wyoming fans than Laramie.  For our fanbase size, we travel tremendously well.  There is probably no other team in the country in which fans travel a greater average distance to attend home games.

...that said, there is very little interest in folks that I know to go to Las Cruces in August to face New Mexico State.

1 hour ago, OrediggerPoke said:

That is a shorter trip for many Wyoming fans than Laramie.  For our fanbase size, we travel tremendously well.  There is probably no other team in the country in which fans travel a greater average distance to attend home games.

...that said, there is very little interest in folks that I know to go to Las Cruces in August to face New Mexico State.

The teams don't play each other and it's a really long drive.  Totally understandable.  That said, i am expecting a close competitive game based on playing MWC teams the last couple years and it is college football in August.  UNM comes to town 3 weeks later and should bring a decent crowd down, though they haven't traveled recently like years past in football or basketball.

Andrew Wingard and Carl Granderson Named to the Chuck Bednarik Award Watch List

Laramie, Wyo. (July 16, 2018) -- On Monday, the Maxwell Football Club announced its 2018 Chuck Bednarik Award Watch List and University of Wyoming seniors Andrew Wingard and Carl Granderson were both named to the list.

The Bednarik Award is presented annually to the College Defensive Player of the Year. Wyoming has never had two defensive players named to the Bednarik Award Watch List in the same season before. Wingard and Granderson were both First Team All-Mountain West Conference selections as juniors in 2017. Wingard was also a First Team All-MW selection as a sophomore in 2016.

A year ago, strong safety Wingard tied for No. 1 in the Mountain West and ranked 15th nationally in interceptions, intercepting five passes on the season. He also ranked No. 7 in the conference and No. 37 in the nation in total tackles (averaging 8.8 tackles per game), and led all MW defensive backs in that category.

Granderson also enjoyed an outstanding senior season at defensive end, ranking No. 2 in the league and No. 16 in the nation in sacks (0.73 per game and a total of 9.5 sacks on the season). He ranked No. 2 in the Mountain West in tackles for loss (1.23 per game and 16.0 total). Granderson led all MW defensive linemen in tackles in 2017, averaging 5.9 per game.

The two seniors helped lead Wyoming’s defense to the No. 1 ranking in the nation in forcing turnovers in 2017, with a total of 38 takeaways. The Cowboy defense also ranked No. 1 in the conference and No. 9 in the nation in scoring defense, allowing only 17.5 points per game to opponents.

On 7/10/2018 at 10:45 AM, alum93 said:

Just looked it up.  744 miles with 11 hour drive time estimate from Laramie.  That's a drive only the diehards would make for a football game.

You're not too familiar with Wyoming Cowboys fans. They regularly drive over eight hours one way for home games. We travel thousands to LV, at least half of them on the ground....

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

On 7/10/2018 at 11:46 AM, OrediggerPoke said:

Not many.  Most that I know are going to the Missouri game for the out of conference away trip.  Wyoming was well represented in Iowa City last year.  Las Cruces in August isn't very appealing.

There is that factor...

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

15 hours ago, VandalBasher said:

I think the score will be in the low 20s as well.  Both teams will most likely be starting new quarterbacks.  We have a senior returning who has backed up Rogers his entire career, but i hear the JC transfer from California has been impressive in practice.  

Guest #1Stunner
On 7/9/2018 at 1:15 PM, alum93 said:

Here's an article on Wyoming.  

https://collegefootballnews.com/2018/06/wyoming-cowboys-college-football-preview-2018

What Craig Bohl has done is nothing short of amazing.

Not only did he win three straight national titles at North Dakota State, but in just two seasons, he took Wyoming from a 6-18 record with nothing fun happening, to two straight eight-win campaigns and two straight bowl appearances.

On 7/9/2018 at 1:32 PM, Thomas said:

Bohl has done wonders in Laramie, no doubt.

IMO, his biggest move has really been upgrading recruiting, and that's going to really pay off over his tenure there.

He's been OK.  But amazing?   I wouldn't go that far.   His best season is 8-5.  

"Amazing" and "Wonders" is what Chris Petersen did at Boise.

Wyoming Cowboys (Mountain West Conference) (2014–present)
2014 Wyoming 4–8 2–6 T–5th (Mountain)      
2015 Wyoming 2–10 2–6 6th (Mountain)      
2016 Wyoming 8–6 6–2 T–1st (Mountain) L Poinsettia    
2017 Wyoming 8–5 5–3 T–2nd (Mountain) W Famous Idaho Potato    
2018 Wyoming 0–0 0–0 (Mountain)      
Wyoming: 22–29 15–17

Guest #1Stunner
On 7/9/2018 at 8:04 AM, alum93 said:

First game of the season is 6 weeks from this Saturday.  Wyoming fans, what is the best site to talk about the game with knowledgeable fans, other than this one of course?  What are your expectations?  I have found a couple nice articles.  Your coach is the real deal and it sounds like the defense can be really solid.  I am guessing by game time Wyoming will be favored in the 3-4 point range in Vegas.  Briefly, NMSU returns 9 of 11 starters on defense and went 2-0 vs MWC last year, beating UNM in Albq and USU in Arizona.  It's our first year as an independent and program is in solid shape talent wise going into Martin's 6th year as head coach.  Biggest question mark will be at qb, where we have to replace Rogers who started the last 4 seasons.  If we can get decent production from that position,  we can make a run at being bowl eligibility again.  The defense has improved be leaps and bounds under Frank Spaziani, former head coach at Boston College.  He will be in his third season as defensive coordinator and it should be Martin's  best unit yet.  We get 3 MWC teams this year in Wyoming, USU on the road, and UNM, plus BYU in Provo.  Should be a fun season.  

How good is NMSU supposed to be this season?  Will they be as good as NMSU was last year, when you guys were a bowl team?

Any word on if the NMSU vs Wyoming game will be televised?

2018 New Mexico State Aggies Football Schedule

Date   Opponent Time/TV Tickets
Saturday
Aug. 25
Cowboys Wyoming Cowboys
Aggie Memorial Stadium, Las Cruces, NM
6:00pm MT
TV TBA
Buy
Tickets
Thursday
Aug. 30
Gophers at Minnesota Golden Gophers 
TCF Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, MN
5:00pm MT
BTN
Buy
Tickets
Saturday
Sep. 8
Aggies at Utah State Aggies 
Maverik Stadium, Logan, UT
Time TBA
TV TBA
Buy
Tickets
Saturday
Sep. 15
Lobos New Mexico Lobos 
TV TBA
Buy
Tickets
Saturday
Sep. 22
Miners at UTEP Miners
Sun Bowl Stadium, El Paso, TX
5:30pm MT
ESPN3

Saturday
Sep. 29
  OFF    
Saturday
Oct. 6
Flames Liberty Flames
TV TBA
Buy
Tickets
Saturday
Oct. 13
Ragin' Cajuns at Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns 
Cajun Field, Lafayette, LA
Time TBA
TV TBA
Buy
Tickets
Saturday
Oct. 20
Eagles Georgia Southern Eagles
2:00pm MT
TV TBA
Buy
Tickets
Saturday
Oct. 27
Bobcats at Texas State Bobcats 
Bobcat Stadium, San Marcos, TX
Time TBA
TV TBA
Buy
Tickets
Saturday
Nov. 3
Braves Alcorn State Braves
TV TBA
Buy
Tickets
Saturday
Nov. 10
  OFF    
Saturday
Nov. 17
Cougars at BYU Cougars 
LaVell Edwards Stadium, Provo, UT
Time TBA
TV TBA
Buy
Tickets
Saturday
Nov. 24
Flames at Liberty Flames
Williams Stadium, Lynchburg, VA
Noon MT
TV TBA
Buy
Tickets

10 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

How good is NMSU supposed to be this season?  Will they be as good as NMSU was last year, when you guys were a bowl team?

Any word on if the NMSU vs Wyoming game will be televised?

2018 New Mexico State Aggies Football Schedule

Date   Opponent Time/TV Tickets
Saturday
Aug. 25
Cowboys Wyoming Cowboys
TV TBA
Buy
Tickets
Thursday
Aug. 30
Gophers at Minnesota Golden Gophers 
TCF Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, MN
5:00pm MT
BTN
Buy
Tickets
Saturday
Sep. 8
Aggies at Utah State Aggies 
Maverik Stadium, Logan, UT
Time TBA
TV TBA
Buy
Tickets
Saturday
Sep. 15
Lobos New Mexico Lobos 
TV TBA
Buy
Tickets
Saturday
Sep. 22
Miners at UTEP Miners
Sun Bowl Stadium, El Paso, TX
5:30pm MT
ESPN3

Saturday
Sep. 29
  OFF    
Saturday
Oct. 6
Flames Liberty Flames
TV TBA
Buy
Tickets
Saturday
Oct. 13
Ragin' Cajuns at Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns 
Cajun Field, Lafayette, LA
Time TBA
TV TBA
Buy
Tickets
Saturday
Oct. 20
Eagles Georgia Southern Eagles
TV TBA
Buy
Tickets
Saturday
Oct. 27
Bobcats at Texas State Bobcats 
Bobcat Stadium, San Marcos, TX
Time TBA
TV TBA
Buy
Tickets
Saturday
Nov. 3
Braves Alcorn State Braves
TV TBA
Buy
Tickets
Saturday
Nov. 10
  OFF    
Saturday
Nov. 17
Cougars at BYU Cougars 
LaVell Edwards Stadium, Provo, UT
Time TBA
TV TBA
Buy
Tickets
Saturday
Nov. 24
Flames at Liberty Flames
Williams Stadium, Lynchburg, VA
Noon MT
TV TBA
Buy
Tickets

Most fans on the message board are predicting in the 6-7 win range.  It all depends on the new qb.  Rogers was a 4 year starter.  If we can get decent production there, we could qualify again for a bowl.  I expect the team to match up very well against the 3 MWC opponents, with 2 of those games being at home.  If there is a huge drop off at qb, i could see a 4 wins season.  I don't think it will be worse than that unless we have a ton of injuries.  My personal prediction is 6 wins until i see the new qb in live action.  The defense will be solid.  Continuity in the coaching staff has really paid off, especially at defensive coordinator.

2 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

He's been OK.  But amazing?   I wouldn't go that far.   His best season is 8-5.  

"Amazing" and "Wonders" is what Chris Petersen did at Boise.

It's not one or the other, right?  Boise had a successful coach pre Peterson that got poached by CU.  Bohl's predecessor was fired.  Bohl walked into a much different situation than Petersen did.  And Petersen isn't at Boise today.  Boise has built a great program and deserves all the accolades they are getting.

Seriously, I didn't know BYU was playing them this fall!

1 minute ago, pokebball said:

It's not one or the other, right?  Boise had a successful coach pre Peterson that got poached by CU.  Bohl's predecessor was fired.  Bohl walked into a much different situation than Petersen did.  And Petersen isn't at Boise today.  Boise has built a great program and deserves all the accolades they are getting.

Yeap, we get 2 Utah schools in football.  

Guest #1Stunner
2 minutes ago, pokebball said:

That's a fair point.  Bohl had to rebuild, while Peterson didn't.   I won't argue that.

Is Wyoming expecting to be a good team this year, or rebuilding after your QB graduated?