Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nvspuds

Nevada Recruiting for 19/20

16 hours ago, bigd said:

Josaphat Bilau, who was committed to Michigan until they lost their coach, will visit Nevada on June 10th. Would be pretty awesome if we could land him. 

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2019/josaphat-bilau-233297

You might be confusing Jalen Wilson, who did decommit from Michigan, for Bilau, who I don’t believe has committed to any schools up to now. Both are being recruited by Kansas, and their names appear in the same Kansas City Star article https://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article231067348.html, which is where I suspect the confusion originates. Nevada is not recruiting Wilson, so far as I know. 

46 minutes ago, Posturedoc said:

You might be confusing Jalen Wilson, who did decommit from Michigan, for Bilau, who I don’t believe has committed to any schools up to now. Both are being recruited by Kansas, and their names appear in the same Kansas City Star article https://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article231067348.html, which is where I suspect the confusion originates. Nevada is not recruiting Wilson, so far as I know. 

Thanks for the correction, I was obviously reading too quickly. Either way, I hope we can land him.

Nevada landed grad transfer JohnCarlos Reyes from Boston College. While his stats weren't great, we desperately needed an experienced big and he fits the bill. 

Hopefully he is able to surprise and make a big impact next season. 

4 hours ago, bigd said:

Nevada landed grad transfer JohnCarlos Reyes from Boston College. While his stats weren't great, we desperately needed an experienced big and he fits the bill. 

Hopefully he is able to surprise and make a big impact next season. 

His stats at BC say that he's a stiff.  Averaged 6 minutes a game, 7.2 fouls per 40 with a To% of 20% with 0 assists in 2018-19. The type of player that gives you 5 fouls in the paint.   If you need a player like this, your talent is way down. 

1 minute ago, Swoll Cracker said:

His stats at BC say that he's a stiff.  Averaged 6 minutes a game, 7.2 fouls per 40 with a To% of 20% with 0 assists in 2018-19. The type of player that gives you 5 fouls in the paint.   If you need a player like this, your talent is way down. 

No doubt that our talent is way down in the front court. We lost 5 starters from last season, and don't have a single big man who has played a minute of D1 basketball. At least he brings experience from the ACC, he won't be an all conference player but he will give us stability in the post. 

Our backcourt will be one of the best in the conference, but our front court is a complete question mark. 

On the same note though, Darien Williams had very mediocre numbers at St Johns, but was decently productive for us for the short time he was here. There is a major step down from the ACC to the MW (as shown with the Martin twins), and he will be solid for us. Wasn't Colton Iverson just a stiff at Minnesota? Then became an all-conference player for the MW.

3 hours ago, bigd said:

No doubt that our talent is way down in the front court. We lost 5 starters from last season, and don't have a single big man who has played a minute of D1 basketball. At least he brings experience from the ACC, he won't be an all conference player but he will give us stability in the post. 

Our backcourt will be one of the best in the conference, but our front court is a complete question mark. 

On the same note though, Darien Williams had very mediocre numbers at St Johns, but was decently productive for us for the short time he was here. There is a major step down from the ACC to the MW (as shown with the Martin twins), and he will be solid for us. Wasn't Colton Iverson just a stiff at Minnesota? Then became an all-conference player for the MW.

Colton Iverson was a starter and shared time at Center with Ralph Sampson III from the very minute he stepped onto the Minnesota campus.   Tubby Smith decided to prioritize Sampson III over Colton so he transferred.  He had a full year working with a good big man coach - Craig Smith.- before that single season with CSU.  

ill be shocked if your guy earns All-MWC honors.  

2 hours ago, Swoll Cracker said:

Colton Iverson was a starter and shared time at Center with Ralph Sampson III from the very minute he stepped onto the Minnesota campus.   Tubby Smith decided to prioritize Sampson III over Colton so he transferred.  He had a full year working with a good big man coach - Craig Smith.- before that single season with CSU.  

ill be shocked if your guy earns All-MWC honors.  

Fair enough, I absolutely agree he won't be an all-MW player. But considering our current roster, I hope he's able to give us a solid 20 or so minutes a night and play good defense and rebound.

5 hours ago, bigd said:

Fair enough, I absolutely agree he won't be an all-MW player. But considering our current roster, I hope he's able to give us a solid 20 or so minutes a night and play good defense and rebound.

On the positive side, he will be playing for Alford who is a far better coach than BC's Jim Christian.

We also added DeAndre Henry, looks like they both had a great weekend and a good time at the Purdue game. That gives us two remaining scholarships for next year. 

c

Nevada has had a couple official visitors. 

Justice Hill, who started at Arkansas, and transferred to Salt Lake CC (ironically he left the team after they hired Muss). 

https://247sports.com/player/justice-hill-88942/

Also from Tre Coleman, a 3-star guard from Indiana. 

https://247sports.com/Player/Tre-Coleman-46050258/

Both would be great additions, particularly Hill, as we have no returning PGs for next season.