Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nvspuds

Nevada Recruiting for 19/20

Nevada landed another shooter in Daryl Edwards from LSU. He's a grad transfer who injured his foot in December and hasn't played since, but will now play his final year with the Pack. 

6 hours ago, Slapdad said:

Nevada landed another shooter in Daryl Edwards from LSU. He's a grad transfer who injured his foot in December and hasn't played since, but will now play his final year with the Pack. 

4.4 pts/gm

1/1 asst/TO ratio

Busted foot

Good get

Fits right in with your '19 squad

Muss can afford to wait and be selective with quality like this busting down the door

LOL:

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

16 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

4.4 pts/gm

1/1 asst/TO ratio

Busted foot

Good get

Fits right in with your '19 squad

Muss can afford to wait and be selective with quality like this busting down the door

LOL:

Caleb Martin averaged 4.8 his first year at NC State, but I’m sure you know way more about the situation than Muss does. 

I'm honestly surprised about Edwards, I'm wondering if maybe he'll be a walk on? 

Either way its fun having our own group of haters that lurk on all of our threads haha.

1 hour ago, Slapdad said:

Caleb Martin averaged 4.8 his first year at NC State, but I’m sure you know way more about the situation than Muss does. 

Caleb was a freshman.  This dude is a grad transfer. Even a Wolf Punk fan should understand the difference

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

11 hours ago, bigd said:

I'm honestly surprised about Edwards, I'm wondering if maybe he'll be a walk on? 

Either way its fun having our own group of haters that lurk on all of our threads haha.

More fun than watching the crater form.

Follow me here.  You just had a 3 star, son of an important coach HS freshman DE-COMMIT because, as his father said, Reno has access to higher level recruits now that they're the Duke of the west and all. Muss promptly goes out and signs a gimpy, washed up grad transfer shooting guard.

2+2 does not equal 22

BTW: Lurkers don't post.

I'm a troll.

Get it right.

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke

40 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

Follow me here.  You just had a 3 star, son of an important coach HS freshman DE-COMMIT because, as his father said, Reno has access to higher level recruits now that there the Duke of the west and all. Muss promptly goes out and signs a gimpy, washed up grad transfer shooting guard.

2+2 does not equal 22

I'm a troll.

Get it right.

More will come of this, and I think he'll end up being a walk on though I'm not sure.

Yeah, I was surprised by the Dischon Thomas decommitment as well (particularly considering our pipeline with KJ Hymes and hopefully Kyree Walker), but its becoming obvious that Muss really prefers transfers over freshman. Other than Oliver and Drew, none of his recruits have really panned out the way people expected (they understandably fall behind upperclass transfers on the depth chart).

Hopefully Brown sticks around next year, as I'm sure he will get more minutes. 

But overall, you seem much more concerned about the future of our program than we do, its nice to have someone watching out for us haha.

To clear one thing up, he definitely is on scholarship not walking on as some have mentioned. Nevada could not announce the addition otherwise, can’t talk about walk-ons until they are actually enrolled at your school. He’s still at LSU finishing his degree.

Not all Nevada transfers are good signings, see Darien Williams, Leland king, Nisre, and Henson to some extent. Edwards signing is probably in this catergory, a 4.4ppg this year (his senior year) and had foot surgery last month.

This signing is a head scratcher 

12 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

Follow me here.  You just had a 3 star, son of an important coach HS freshman DE-COMMIT because, as his father said, Reno has access to higher level recruits now that they're the Duke of the west and all. Muss promptly goes out and signs a gimpy, washed up grad transfer shooting guard.

2+2 does not equal 22

I'm a troll.

Get it right.

Who knows how Dischon's career will turn out, but considering his other offers were CS Northridge, Kennesaw State, N Arizona, UC Irivine and CSU (where he ended up), he may not have been any better of an addition than Thomas. 

13 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

Caleb was a freshman.  This dude is a grad transfer. Even a Wolf Punk fan should understand the difference

I'm guessing that Muss liked him for his toughness and the fact that he was LSU's go-to defensive stopper, which doesn't always show up on the stat sheet. Either way, I'm sure Muss knows much more than you, so save it. 

1 hour ago, Jaredcg said:

To clear one thing up, he definitely is on scholarship not walking on as some have mentioned. Nevada could not announce the addition otherwise, can’t talk about walk-ons until they are actually enrolled at your school. He’s still at LSU finishing his degree.

Not all Nevada transfers are good signings, see Darien Williams, Leland king, Nisre, and Henson to some extent. Edwards signing is probably in this catergory, a 4.4ppg this year (his senior year) and had foot surgery last month.

This signing is a head scratcher 

Not a head scratcher. You can't build a college basketball team with transfers. Great programs don't need them, with very rare exception. Very good programs use them in a very targeted, very specific manner to fill a gap in recruiting or to fill a void left by an outbound transfer. Up and coming teams take as many as they can get until they can position themselves to compete for HS talent.

Muss didn't re-invent the game.  He may "prefer" transfers but the reality is there aren't that many quality transfers out there in any given recruiting cycle. Many of them have issues. Many are being nudged out of programs for various reasons mostly related to skill. Others  leave looking for more PT at a lesser program because they can't crack the lineup at a good program. VERY rare is the high level kid who leaves because a program is legitimately stacked at his position.

Caroline and the Bobsey Twins are the exception, not the rule. You need to be able to recruit, develop, retain and coach HS kids.  That's the phucking job!   If your histrionics and temper tantrums intimidate kids.  If they think there's a better than even chance the coach will bring in a transfer and limit their opportunity to play and develop, you won't succeed.

You lost a 2018 freshman. You had a 2019 de-commit. I don't see where you're favored on any of your other 2019 targets.  You're bringing in anyone with a pulse; the LSU kid, a JC kid that couldn't play at Akron and a Canadian kid from Pitt who left because his new coach thought he was soft and didn't work hard enough. We've had three Canadian kids on our squad in recent years, both HS recruits and transfers. Only one, Nolan Narain, has stuck and he's backing up our freshman center as a redshirt junior. So we know the drill with Canadian kids

Even you recognize the marginal quality of Nisre and Henson. Your other transfer redshirts, Anderson and Harris are far closer to them in talent than they are the twins and Caroline.  Some of this group will start for you next year along with Drew, who can't stay on the court, Johnson, who makes a nice 3rd or 4th option on a quality squad and Brown, if like you said, he sticks around. I expect he's going to find life a little more difficult as a starter surrounded by subpar talent, getting doubled in the post every time he catches an entry pass.

Don't know if KJ Hymes was dumb enough to burn his redshirt. You better hope he was or he'll be a prime transfer candidate should Muss recruit over the top of him with a transfer 4 or 5.

But I'm just a troll.  I have no idea what I'm talking about. You guys are probably on your way to the final four next year

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke

54 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

I'm guessing that Muss liked him for his toughness and the fact that he was LSU's go-to defensive stopper, which doesn't always show up on the stat sheet. Either way, I'm sure Muss knows much more than you, so save it. 

They manged to "stop" #1 Tennessee without him.  A "stopper" is usually a guard who can't create his own shot at the level he's playing. Calling them a "stopper" is kinder than calling them a whiff. Don't buy the hype.

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke

1 hour ago, SDSUfan said:

Not a head scratcher. You can't build a college basketball team with transfers. Great programs don't need them, with very rare exception. Very good programs use them in a very targeted, very specific manner to fill a gap in recruiting or to fill a void left by an outbound transfer. Up and coming teams take as many as they can get until they can position themselves to compete for HS talent.

Muss didn't re-invent the game.  He may "prefer" transfers but the reality is there aren't that many quality transfers out there in any given recruiting cycle. Many of them have issues. Many are being nudged out of programs for various reasons mostly related to skill. Others  leave looking for more PT at a lesser program because they can't crack the lineup at a good program. VERY rare is the high level kid who leaves because a program is legitimately stacked at his position.

Caroline and the Bobsey Twins are the exception, not the rule. You need to be able to recruit, develop, retain and coach HS kids.  That's the phucking job!   If your histrionics and temper tantrums intimidate kids.  If they think there's a better than even chance the coach will bring in a transfer and limit their opportunity to play and develop, you won't succeed.

You lost a 2018 freshman. You had a 2019 de-commit. I don't see where you're favored on any of your other 2019 targets.  You're bringing in anyone with a pulse; the LSU kid, a JC kid that couldn't play at Akron and a Canadian kid from Pitt who left because his new coach thought he was soft and didn't work hard enough. We've had three Canadian kids on our squad in recent years, both HS recruits and transfers. Only one, Nolan Narain, has stuck and he's backing up our freshman center as a redshirt junior. So we know the drill with Canadian kids

Even you recognize the marginal quality of Nisre and Henson. Your other transfer redshirts, Anderson and Harris are far closer to them in talent than they are the twins and Caroline.  Some of this group will start for you next year along with Drew, who can't stay on the court, Johnson, who makes a nice 3rd or 4th option on a quality squad and Brown, if like you said, he sticks around. I expect he's going to find life a little more difficult as a starter surrounded by subpar talent, getting doubled in the post every time he catches an entry pass.

Don't know if KJ Hymes was dumb enough to burn his redshirt. You better hope he was or he'll be a prime transfer candidate should Muss recruit over the top of him with a transfer 4 or 5.

But I'm just a troll.  I have no idea what I'm talking about. You guys are probably on your way to the final four next year

Posters who’ve been on this forum for any length of time have read your rants for years. We know who you are. Aside from the snarky Final Four prediction for next season, which no Nevada fan would predict based on the current returning roster, your final paragraph is the most accurate summation of you I’ve ever read. Congrats on your moment of clarity and honesty, bitterman. 

Damn I think this is the most PH has ever wrote!!!

They manged to "stop" #1 Tennessee without him.  A "stopper" is usually a guard who can't create his own shot at the level he's playing. Calling them a "stopper" is kinder than calling them a whiff. Don't buy the hype.

I didn’t call him that, the LSU coach did. I doubt he’ll be one of our best players, but every team needs role players and we’ll just wait and see how it turns out. 

2 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

You're absolutely right, "great programs" don't need transfers.

So, what are the other 345 programs in the country (including the entire MWC) supposed to do, just give up?

5 minutes ago, renoskier said:

You're absolutely right, "great programs" don't need transfers.

So, what are the other 345 programs in the country (including the entire MWC) supposed to do, just give up?

He has no answers, only criticisms he seems emotionally invested in. Phnumbers we can understand, because autism! Why bitterman has become such an acid critic of Nevada basketball appears born out of envy, which is sad, but somewhat understandable...well, maybe it’s not.

My happiness isn’t tied to the success of teams I root for and I don’t wish for the downfall of teams and programs that are experiencing more success than my own. Bitter and angry over the success of others is a sad way to live life.