Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada Convert

Shock Poll: Trump Gains 10 Approval Points Among Hispanics to 47% Job Approval

Paint me as another one baffled by the opposition to chain migration. Like @thelawlorfaithful, I never put a ton of thought to it until this administration. But I have yet to read a compelling argument against it. From what I have read, though, it seems like the evidence shows that an extended family of immigrants tends to fare far better over the long-term.

On 7/5/2018 at 9:39 AM, nomascows said:

A lesser known Can-Mex feller.  He does wraslle however based out of parts unknown.

image.png.89c7fa8408bf0928629232061a76692d.png

Please don't............I am trying to put the past behind me. That was a long time ago

With these numbers they are not a surprise. Many people who have come from Mexico, Central America and South America legally, with paperwork and such are in favor of stronger illegal immigration laws. Essentially saying we did things the right way why should people who don't get a free pass? I work with two people who just became American Citizens in the last two years after being here with green cards for a while and they are strongly in favor of stronger illegal immigration laws.

They are also in favor of changing immigration laws to cut down the time to become an American Citizen or just paperwork to come into the country legally.

5 hours ago, NVGiant said:

Paint me as another one baffled by the opposition to chain migration. Like @thelawlorfaithful, I never put a ton of thought to it until this administration. But I have yet to read a compelling argument against it. From what I have read, though, it seems like the evidence shows that an extended family of immigrants tends to fare far better over the long-term.

Canada doesnt do preferences for family like we do. 

1 hour ago, wolfpack1 said:

Thank you I appreciate that. However I moved out from that trailer two months ago

What’d you do with the kitties?

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

On 7/6/2018 at 1:43 AM, thelawlorfaithful said:

I hadn’t really thought much about immigration pre-Trump. After having listened to the arguments I am in largely in favor of chain migration. Merit based immigration is wrong, it depresses wages for Americans that have put in the work to get educated only for them to be undercut by competent competition from other countries that would be taking a pay raise by taking an American pay cut. Our immigration system needs to largely help out the poor and destitute, those willing to work hard to get their kid from 0 to 1 or 2, which will instill values to get the grandkids fron 2 to 4-8. Accepting largely merit based immigrants keeps Americans from 4-7 in place. It’s important to keep Americans feeling like the next generation might be better if than the last. Chain migration does that, merit based does not.

The flip side of that argument to merit based immigration is that those immigrants are more likely to have employable skills and not need as much social services, theoretically integrating into society easier and not stuck living in Chinatowns or other ethnic enclaves out of necessity. Merit based criteria can also streamline and recruit professions in need like physicians and engineers that are difficult to come by. Outside of a few groups like teenagers and workers without HS diplomas, there is little evidence that immigrants depress wages. Obviously we need more than doctors and engineers but skills like machining, welding and even truck drivers that we can't find. It's not too hard to find undocumented workers in the oil patch because we can't get Americans to pass a drug test. It's not affecting wages at all. The Canadians, British and Austrailians as well as most of the industrialized world uses some sort of merit based system.

On 7/5/2018 at 4:59 PM, happycamper said:

Is that 12% the share currently in the country or the share attempting to come in FY 2018? I was under the impression that Central American immigrants were making up if not a majority than a large plurality of attempted immigrants in the last couple years. 

That's the total population. The percentage has increased to about 30-40% of the new migrants now from the 3 Northern triangle countries. Interestingly, more than 95% of those detained said they were there for economic reasons and not from fear of violence. 

20 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

I don’t live in Canada. :shrug:

Oregon is the same thing. :D

i was just making the point that trumps position on chain migration isn't totally whacko and out of sync with other western immigration policies.

I personally think preference for family makes a lot of sense in many cases.

A daily reminder of why we don't cherry pick single polls in isolation.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president_trump_job_approval-6179.html

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/?ex_cid=rrpromo

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/congress-generic-ballot-polls/?ex_cid=rrpromo

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/2018_generic_congressional_vote-6185.html

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/pollster-ratings/

TC cherry picked a single poll that manages to still show Trump with a net negative approval rating and links to an op-ed by a Trump surrogate to extrapolate from there that the Dems are going to be destroyed by Hispanic voters.

Worth noting, even if we decide that this one poll is 1. correct and 2. sustainable, the 10% rise in this particular poll brought his approval rating among Hispanics up to a whopping...35% overall. 

50 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

i was just making the point that trumps position on chain migration isn't totally whacko and out of sync with other western immigration policies.

A family of Vietnamese Boat People moved in on my street in the mid-70’s. Three generations that arrived in successive waves under one roof. They really stood out amongst the other white nuclear families. They opened a landscaping business. The whole family would work. The one daughter born after they arrived grew up with my oldest daughter. Of the three kids born in Vietnam, the son carried on the business but the two daughters were valedictorians and went to medical school. The daughter born here became a professional paintballer...

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

1 hour ago, CPslograd said:

Like I said, i had never thought much about it, until Trump made it an issue. But after having thought about it and reading the different perspectives, family preference makes a lot of sense.

And Oregon really is Canada Jr.

2 hours ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

A family of Vietnamese Boat People moved in on my street in the mid-70’s. Three generations that arrived in successive waves under one roof. They really stood out amongst the other white nuclear families. They opened a landscaping business. The whole family would work. The one daughter born after they arrived grew up with my oldest daughter. Of the three kids born in Vietnam, the son carried on the business but the two daughters were valedictorians and went to medical school. The daughter born here became a professional paintballer...

Hold on.......hold on..........hold on...................there is professional paintball? I mean if this is true, i think the entire topic has just changed now

1 hour ago, NVGiant said:

Like I said, i had never thought much about it, until Trump made it an issue. But after having thought about it and reading the different perspectives, family preference makes a lot of sense.

And Oregon really is Canada Jr.

Illegal Immigration has been an issue for decades. When Clinton was president there was talk of building a wall, fence or other things along the border. This isn't a new issue, but people are trying to make it look like a new issue.

On 7/5/2018 at 1:43 PM, Akkula said:

Well, how exactly does a poor person in gang land El Salvador come to the USA and do it the "right way?"  Hope they win the visa lottery or become a refugee?  Is there really a realistic and viable other path?

Walk to the nearest US embassy and ask for asylum. That would be a starting point.

GO POKES!!!