Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jdgaucho

AAC fans are a sensitive lot

The American Athletic fans are a sensitive group.  All I did was point out that ESPN does not call them a p5 conference in baseball and it's as if I insulted their honor.  

https://csnbbs.com/thread-852665.html

@wolfpack1, I guess they don't like the BW much.  Must be that p6 campaign.

AAC fans are trying to cope with the fact they haven't had any talks with ESPN yet.   You might recall the Hair being quoted in public about how much further substantive talks have progressed with CBS and ESPN already https://www.coloradoan.com/videos/sports/csu/football/2017/07/29/mw-weighs-tv-digital-options-commissioner-says/104107574/   LAST YEAR

Below I quote an article that board is trying to grock which includes one basic, uncomfortable fact that are making these folks so anxious about the potential size of their TV deal.  I'm of the opinion that the AAC will get more money, but it won't be from ESPN because of the newly launched ACC network and the existing SEC and Longhorn Networks.  I presume the MW will get a similar deal to the AAC after they reach agreement first but the MW will be able to get a deal with ESPN because that network really needs Window 4 content, broadcasts Bowl games from MW stadiums, and the Pac 12 Network competes with ESPN.

https://www.nhregister.com/sports/article/AAC-upcoming-TV-deal-will-have-huge-ramifications-13040265.php

Aresco had had a number of productive conversations with former ESPN president John Skipper before Skipper abruptly resigned in December. He has had phone conversations with Pitaro, who replaced Skipper in March, but nothing formal yet.

The league is hoping to have serious discussions with Pitaro as soon as later this summer or in early fall. Perhaps the league could renew its relationship with ESPN before then and restructure the final year of the current deal.

“We need to get paid for what we’ve done,” Aresco said. “It’s going to be an interesting negotiation. A lot of different platforms are interested in our product. We love ESPN, so we hope we can get something done.”

If nothing is worked out by the end of February 2019, the AAC can negotiate with other parties. It wouldn’t be able to agree to a deal for less than what ESPN turned down.

The AAC's P6 Strategic Plan included league goals they needed to meet so that, in their opinion, they would be considered a "Power" league. The Baseball goals (listed on page 13 at the link):

3.33 - A College World Series team

3.34 - NCAA Super Regional participant

3.35 - Host of NCAA Regionals and NCAA Super Regionals

http://sidearm.sites.s3.amazonaws.com/theamerican.sidearmsports.com/documents/2017/5/1/AACStrategyGuide_WEB_FINAL.pdf

By their own measures they are not a "Power" league yet in baseball, or for that matter in other sports.

Having good computer rankings is nice. Getting multiple post season bids is nice. But power conferences see their teams make deep post season runs and compete for titles. Take those two out of the equation and you have MWC basketball 5 years ago. Good RPI, multiple at large bids, and completely irrelevant in the post season. We weren’t a  power conference in basketball then, and they aren’t a power conference in baseball now.

3 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

The American Athletic fans are a sensitive group.  All I did was point out that ESPN does not call them a p5 conference in baseball and it's as if I insulted their honor.  

https://csnbbs.com/thread-852665.html

@wolfpack1, I guess they don't like the BW much.  Must be that p6 campaign.

A little bit of good press goes to people's heads I guess? Then you know when you hear something long enough, you tend to start believing it which is probably with some AAC fans. Many I have talked to are very realistic with the landscape and a joy to talk to. However those others......

I think it's a parallel to Boise State fans about 8-10 years ago;   rising up and playing at a higher level but it's all new and no one outside their camp was loving them up enough for their liking (the fans' liking) so the AAC fans feel slighted.  I mean, how can everyone not see how good we are?    They're full of themselves and it will take time for them to see the light. 

The AAC is G5.  Always will be because that TV $$ ship sailed and it's only going to get tighter to find coin as millions more unplug and ask for only specific content in the future.  

Conference strength in G5 is an oxymoron to me. No matter the strength, there's no room at the table for another money conference and the MWC and AAC can fight over the 'title' all they want.  There's no trophy or cash and the 'title' will change hands regularly. 

58 minutes ago, since1670 said:

Does: "94 football games that have had least 1 million viewers" in 5 years have marketable value?

Problem with your stats is that it's based on several teams.   If we're talking 94M viewers in 5 years of TV for one program, then that program gets an invite to the P5.  A conference with those numbers?  Don't call us, we'll call you. 

In 2018 there's a line in the sand and that's a filler game, come talk when those numbers double or triple.  Welcome to 'air time' with minimal cash.   CBS sports wants to talk. 

3 hours ago, since1670 said:

Does: "94 football games that have had least 1 million viewers" in 5 years have marketable value?

The east coast does have a lot more population than the west, but that also means there's a lot more entertainment competing with the AAC for their attention/dollars. So although you do have programs that have larger average home markets than the MWC average, you don't own any of those bigger markets. 

So you've got 94 in 5 years so a 19 mil per year average per year. If you have a bunch of ESPN OOC games, you should be able to hit 19 before foww conf. games start. 

kat.jpg

They have delusions of grandeur and expectations that will never be met. That's where we all were a few years ago until we (most of us) realized we've about hit our ceiling as a conference. They'll get there someday.

5 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Having good computer rankings is nice. Getting multiple post season bids is nice. But power conferences see their teams make deep post season runs and compete for titles. Take those two out of the equation and you have MWC basketball 5 years ago. Good RPI, multiple at large bids, and completely irrelevant in the post season. We weren’t a  power conference in basketball then, and they aren’t a power conference in baseball now.

With a few of your former conference mates making deep runs in recent years, that shows some staying power.

The current AAC has 156 bids all-time as Division 1 members, with 16 CWS appearances and one title. 

The current BW has 103 bids, 26 CWS appearances and four titles.  More bids for the American, deeper runs for the Big West.  I'm not even including Fresno State's success during their time with us.

They're a bit uptight.  What can ya do?

4 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Just the fact their league is east based is easy to understand their attitude. Everything west of the Mississippi River is either inferior or doesn’t exist to them. 

You'd think Nevada ripping Cincy's heart out in the NCAAT would open everyone's eyes a little.  

6 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

they do like to take shots at the MW as well.

Then you'll love this.  Our 2018 basketball recruiting class would be ranked upper third in the American.  We're in-between Cincy and USF.

On 7/3/2018 at 12:14 PM, Bruininthebay said:

AAC fans are trying to cope with the fact they haven't had any talks with ESPN yet.   You might recall the Hair being quoted in public about how much further substantive talks have progressed with CBS and ESPN already https://www.coloradoan.com/videos/sports/csu/football/2017/07/29/mw-weighs-tv-digital-options-commissioner-says/104107574/   LAST YEAR

Below I quote an article that board is trying to grock which includes one basic, uncomfortable fact that are making these folks so anxious about the potential size of their TV deal.  I'm of the opinion that the AAC will get more money, but it won't be from ESPN because of the newly launched ACC network and the existing SEC and Longhorn Networks.  I presume the MW will get a similar deal to the AAC after they reach agreement first but the MW will be able to get a deal with ESPN because that network really needs Window 4 content, broadcasts Bowl games from MW stadiums, and the Pac 12 Network competes with ESPN.

you've been peddling this for awhile now. Our contract runs through 2020 and now that we have tv numbers for WSU we can sit down with ESPN this summer to renegotiate...the article says as much and that has been known for awhile.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

1 hour ago, UofMTigers said:

you've been peddling this for awhile now. Our contract runs through 2020 and now that we have tv numbers for WSU we can sit down with ESPN this summer to renegotiate...the article says as much and that has been known for awhile.

You're an AAC guy, what's the latest on the possibility of WSU bringing back football? It was mentioned on this board and others back in 2016.