Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4UNLV

What day is it??

It July!!!! Which means we will soon be in football season again! 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

On 7/1/2018 at 9:50 AM, mugtang said:

It July!!!! Which means we will soon be in football season again! 

It funny, the minute it July, I started getting more excited for football. before that, I wouldn't even let myself think about it.

and i don't care who is playing..

12 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

It funny, the minute it July, I started getting more excited for football. before that, I wouldn't even let myself think about it.

Do you get ESPN Classic?  I've mostly been traveling on business, so don't have it in hotels but it's been on almost non-stop when I'm home.  Some really great games.  The '73 Sugar Bowl for the national championship between Notre Dame and 'Bama with Keith Jackson and Howard Cosell was on the other night.  Sweet game with some of the finest option football you'll ever see.  And it goes on, game after game.  If you get the channel, it's a sweet respite from the dog days of summer.

2 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

It funny, the minute it July, I started getting more excited for football

Me too

2 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

Isn't that necessary for all denizens of Vegas?

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

3 hours ago, Mad_Hatter said:

I was really hoping this was a Bobby Bonilla Day thread. 

For those uneducated on the subject:

https://es.pn/2a94b9Y

Best contract move ever made. By Bonilla that is.....not by the Mets. 

I'm really hoping they'll invent a new sport that's just as interesting as FB and BB. I used to be a huge MLB fan, but now it's too much like the rich and the poor. Too many owner smaller market owners that don't spend money to win. But how can they compete with a New York market team, etc? You can't and that's why MLB sucks. 

The NFL has it right with a tight salary cap. They did great with that. It keeps salaries from exploding out of control, and every team can really hit the FA's and get much better in an off season if they want to.

Baseball is just paying wussy whiney players way too much and ticket prices are too high. You knew MLB was fvcked when they had to start turning MLB ballparks into minor league parks full of ads. I still can't get used to the annoying ads behind home plate. Just pathetic. 

kat.jpg

10 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

I'm really hoping they'll invent a new sport that's just as interesting as FB and BB. I used to be a huge MLB fan, but now it's too much like the rich and the poor. Too many owner smaller market owners that don't spend money to win. But how can they compete with a New York market team, etc? You can't and that's why MLB sucks. 

The NFL has it right with a tight salary cap. They did great with that. It keeps salaries from exploding out of control, and every team can really hit the FA's and get much better in an off season if they want to.

Baseball is just paying wussy whiney players way too much and ticket prices are too high. You knew MLB was fvcked when they had to start turning MLB ballparks into minor league parks full of ads. I still can't get used to the annoying ads behind home plate. Just pathetic. 

Oakland a’s smallest budget in baseball.  Smaller than the Marlins.  They are in the playoff race.

48 minutes ago, cherrycrush said:

Oakland a’s smallest budget in baseball.  Smaller than the Marlins.  They are in the playoff race.

There are obviously uncommon exceptions. If you’ve got a few really good well paid veterans and then if your farm org happens to supply a hand full of really good players (especially great pitchers) at the needed positions, it can be done. Kansas City, San Diego and Colorado have had great years before, as well, but there’s a lot of years of losing that go by before there’s any success again. When the first contract is up, they become FA’s and leave for the bucks.

kat.jpg

17 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

The Yankees and Dodgers ruled MLB off and on for most of the modern era. Big market teams didn’t suddenly take over. If anything, there has been a greater mix of teams playing for the rings most years the past 15 years. And the Mets, Angels, White Sox, Cubs and Astros (four biggest markets) have mostly sucked for decades. 

The NBA has become silly with two or three teams ruling and football may be facing its own crisis of waning interest between the kneeling dust-up and the CTE problems, which is scaring parents off from signing up their kids, the effects of which won’t be seen for years. Soccer....well, I just hate watching a game of however long it is (seems like forever) end at zero. Why not just make the game consist of the free kicks and be done with it? I get why baseball doesn’t appeal to some, who might think it’s boring. Those people are commonly referred to as communists and dullards who can’t appreciate the strategy of the game. There....you’ve been sufficiently put in your place. For now.