Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jaredcg

UNLV b-ball schedule

They lost. They also beat both of those teams. Your problem is your selective memory only allows you to see negativity at all times. Perhaps you should lighten up and get some weed?

They also won 4 out of 5 right before that. The team had tiny guards and no depth in the back court. Fresno and usu were just very bad match ups with the size of their guards. You had UNLV beating unm on the road, and splitting with reno and sdsu? No you did not. Those loses were 100% expected, but in hindsight losing those games was the end of the world? No.

The team lost 5 straight, but good thing they didnt take on your loser attitude. They still showed up, beat afa and fought their hearts out as a team to compete against a unit that was much better and far more experienced. And here you are on the internet and all you can do is run your mouth and talk shit. Great fan!

Some of us will remain fans no matter what and at least try to see the bright side of things. No need for insults just because people see things differently than you.

59 minutes ago, Jersey Rebels said:

Close this thread up, UNLV is now a school that only counts moral victories. Give Marvin his extension, he was 27-3 when it comes to moral victories last year. 

not even close. why do you think we're so intolerant, lol.

but recognition of improvement in the way the team played, even though there were losses, is not a moral victory. just sayin.

29 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

not even close. why do you think we're so intolerant, lol.

but recognition of improvement in the way the team played, even though there were losses, is not a moral victory. just sayin.

Literally the definition of moral victory. We lost, but they played their hearts out!

5 losses, four of which were by double digits, one of which by nearly 40 points. But they played hard...

3 minutes ago, Jersey Rebels said:

Literally the definition of moral victory. We lost, but they played their hearts out!

5 losses, four of which were by double digits, one of which by nearly 40 points. But they played hard...

no, I am talking about recognizing improvement in the way they played in their last game against reno, but it doesn't make me feel better. there is no victory in a loss, whether by 1-2 points or by 40, and if marv can't get it together this year he should move on. I'm not optimistic, that meltdown they had during those 5 losses after showing some improvement is on him.

11 hours ago, Jersey Rebels said:

Close this thread up, UNLV is now a school that only counts moral victories. Give Marvin his extension, he was 27-3 when it comes to moral victories last year. 

No, actually UNLV is now a school with fans who moan and cry even when nothing can currently be done about the situation the program is in. I want the team ranked, in the tournament yearly as an at large and winning the league regularly. Your expectations are not higher than mine. I will not be happy with less, but seriously, what do you guys suggest? Should UNLV fire MM tomorrow? Maybe hire coach k away from duke! You guys sound stupid complaining at this point. The season is coming up and you are still detractors. Why even come here or post at all? We already know your position. UNLV sucks. Menzies sucks. Just post it once a week and go away!

That said, I can still recognize that showing up and winning and playing your hardest after losing five straight shows the team still cared and MM had not lost the team. I wasnt talking about anything else!

A part of reading comprehension is understanding context within a discussion. Massive fail on your part. 

I also counted up 20 wins last season. Not moral victories, actual victories. Watch how you try to move the goal post and complain about strength of schedule now. 

5 hours ago, qwelish said:

No, actually UNLV is now a school with fans who moan and cry even when nothing can currently be done about the situation the program is in. I want the team ranked, in the tournament yearly as an at large and winning the league regularly. Your expectations are not higher than mine. I will not be happy with less, but seriously, what do you guys suggest? Should UNLV fire MM tomorrow? Maybe hire coach k away from duke! You guys sound stupid complaining at this point. The season is coming up and you are still detractors. Why even come here or post at all? We already know your position. UNLV sucks. Menzies sucks. Just post it once a week and go away!

That said, I can still recognize that showing up and winning and playing your hardest after losing five straight shows the team still cared and MM had not lost the team. I wasnt talking about anything else!

A part of reading comprehension is understanding context within a discussion. Massive fail on your part. 

I also counted up 20 wins last season. Not moral victories, actual victories. Watch how you try to move the goal post and complain about strength of schedule now. 

I won't be moving anything. I expected 18-20 wins last year, said that in the first game thread last year and got lambasted by fans who said "I see more talent on this team than any other team in the league." So...nice try. And this year, I've already voiced my complaints about the schedule, again, so not moving shit. If he doesn't get 20 wins with this schedule, he should be fired, yes. Again, all I see is you spouting about moral victories. They played hard and he didn't lose the team! You don't want or can't handle people voicing their opinion and "be a detractor"? Then don't post. There's a reason why I didn't original quote you: because you're free to have and voice your opinion, just like I am, just like RR can, RoseGreen, just like PH can. 

See you in a year when you come up with the same tired out excuses. And your idiot emoji reactions has zero effect on me. You can literally go to everyone of my posts and leave it, I don't give a shit. 

2 hours ago, Jersey Rebels said:

I won't be moving anything. I expected 18-20 wins last year, said that in the first game thread last year and got lambasted by fans who said "I see more talent on this team than any other team in the league." So...nice try. And this year, I've already voiced my complaints about the schedule, again, so not moving shit. If he doesn't get 20 wins with this schedule, he should be fired, yes. Again, all I see is you spouting about moral victories. They played hard and he didn't lose the team! You don't want or can't handle people voicing their opinion and "be a detractor"? Then don't post. There's a reason why I didn't original quote you: because you're free to have and voice your opinion, just like I am, just like RR can, RoseGreen, just like PH can. 

See you in a year when you come up with the same tired out excuses. And your idiot emoji reactions has zero effect on me. You can literally go to everyone of my posts and leave it, I don't give a shit. 

I didnt say any of those things about talent. So nice story, but who cares? Go pat yourself on the back.

I can handle any opinion, but what I wont handle is people misrepresenting what I say or my positions. Youre the one complaining about my positions, duh. If you dont like my spouting, thats your problem. I was responding to something specific and you cherry picked my comments to make me out to be an apologist; which I am certainly not. 

That is the very definition of a "detractor". That is the very definition of a hater.

You say you dont give a shit, but you mentioned it. Heres another since it fits and you dont mind.

I'm disappointed the Rebels scheduled UCR again, instead of us.  We're likely going to be a top-100 team and rack up 20+ wins again, which only helps the Rebs.  C'est la vie.

56 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

I'm disappointed the Rebels scheduled UCR again, instead of us.  We're likely going to be a top-100 team and rack up 20+ wins again, which only helps the Rebs.  C'est la vie.

Marvin is scheduling for maximum OOC wins.  He holds no delusions of post season play.  RPI is unimportant at this stage of his grand plan.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

2 hours ago, qwelish said:

I didnt say any of those things about talent. So nice story, but who cares? Go pat yourself on the back.

I can handle any opinion, but what I wont handle is people misrepresenting what I say or my positions. Youre the one complaining about my positions, duh. If you dont like my spouting, thats your problem. I was responding to something specific and you cherry picked my comments to make me out to be an apologist; which I am certainly not. 

That is the very definition of a "detractor". That is the very definition of a hater.

You say you dont give a shit, but you mentioned it. Heres another since it fits and you dont mind.

Not worth it, man, enjoy your day.

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 4:08 PM, Aslowhiteguy said:

Marvin is scheduling for maximum OOC wins.  He holds no delusions of post season play.  RPI is unimportant at this stage of his grand plan.

That's what I see as well. I also think he is doing the team no favors in preparing them for conference play.

I appreciate those fans like @qwelish who can see positives in the team play from last season. Admittedly, I have been so angry at the state of the program for the last 3 seasons, that I have been unable to see these things, so I hope you are right.

I would like nothing better to see Marv succeed. He seems like a genuinely good guy, who creates a family atmosphere in the program, will keep things clean and can still recruit well. I just don't see the player development, like at all, and the defense has been horrendous for two straight seasons. That leads me to believe that he will not get it done and he knows it based on his scheduling. He is scheduling scared instead of trying to reach for success.

But I also acknowledge it makes no sense to fire him right now. It would do even more harm to the program. I do think he can lay some good foundations, but he won't be the one to bring us post-season success. He's just not a skilled enough coach to my eyes.

7 hours ago, SharkTanked said:

That's what I see as well. I also think he is doing the team no favors in preparing them for conference play.

I appreciate those fans like @qwelish who can see positives in the team play from last season. Admittedly, I have been so angry at the state of the program for the last 3 seasons, that I have been unable to see these things, so I hope you are right.

I would like nothing better to see Marv succeed. He seems like a genuinely good guy, who creates a family atmosphere in the program, will keep things clean and can still recruit well. I just don't see the player development, like at all, and the defense has been horrendous for two straight seasons. That leads me to believe that he will not get it done and he knows it based on his scheduling. He is scheduling scared instead of trying to reach for success.

But I also acknowledge it makes no sense to fire him right now. It would do even more harm to the program. I do think he can lay some good foundations, but he won't be the one to bring us post-season success. He's just not a skilled enough coach to my eyes.

Marvin is a really nice guy. He's also smart and a good ambassador for your program.

He's a good coach too, but he's not on the same level as Kruger, Fish or even Muss. 

As odd as it may sound, I think Marvin would be a better AD than HC.  He has the personality to engage the community and more importantly, the boosters.  But I don't know whether or not he'd be good at finding quality coaches on the way up, but his hiring of Weir at least suggests he can.

Barack Obama

Well Marv has 3 more years on his 5 year contract and after the last fiasco I expect UNLV to run through the full length of that contract before starting to find a new coach. We'll see what he can do for the remaining 3 years. His 4th and 5th years should be an improvement seeing as his contract goes up by $100K in those last 2 years.

2 hours ago, quickdraw said:

Well Marv has 3 more years on his 5 year contract and after the last fiasco I expect UNLV to run through the full length of that contract before starting to find a new coach. We'll see what he can do for the remaining 3 years. His 4th and 5th years should be an improvement seeing as his contract goes up by $100K in those last 2 years.

He kind of needs to get an extension during or shortly after next season. He'll want to assure recruits and their parents that his seat isn't even warm.

It's not the end of the world if he doesn't get one, but it may hint at what the AD is thinking.  If he doesn't get one during year four, he might be F'd.  The potential recruits would know that too.

Barack Obama

I dont know what to think of MM. His style of team was dominant in the WAC. Nearly all of those teams would have beaten his first two teams here handily. 

If he builds exactly what he built there, UNLV will be mediocre.  But im also not in the, "there was no improvement" camp  because I watched Beck improve to become a starter and improve his shot selection as the year went on. Mooring went from the bench to the best playmaker on the team last year, and McCoy improved his defense and effort  along with his post escape and passing after that was exposed.  How many other guys played enough to improve if they could or played both years to improve? Dembele definitely improved his body and hands.

This is the first season we will all see major minute players go from year one to year two under MM. This is the first year MM will build on continuity. The people acting like theyve seen all theyre going to see under MM may be correct, but theres no way to actually know. 

The biggest factors to me in how his tenure will play out is the improvement and performance of the core of players this season and how many impact difference makers MM can stack into the 2019 recruiting class. MM has had a lot of misses. Im a bit worried MM will plateau at mediocre like everyone else. Im just not going to pretend the guy is horrible and has shown nothing like some here.

6 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

He's a good coach too, but he's not on the same level as Kruger, Fish or even Muss

This logic is just odd to me. Its revisionist history. Marvin and Kruger have the same number of wins in their first two seasons here. Kruger took over a program in much better shape than what MM got. Kruger massively underachieved his first two years here and didnt win until he was able to stack up his players. Kruger didnt come in last minute having to piece a team together that would effect scholarships, continuity, apr. Kruger eventually won, but actually did worse his first two seasons. Kruger also won only 11 games the same year Marvin did, but Kruger worshipped here as a god like coach while the current coach gets sh!t on.

Crazy.

1 hour ago, qwelish said:

This logic is just odd to me. Its revisionist history. Marvin and Kruger have the same number of wins in their first two seasons here. Kruger took over a program in much better shape than what MM got. Kruger massively underachieved his first two years here and didnt win until he was able to stack up his players. Kruger didnt come in last minute having to piece a team together that would effect scholarships, continuity, apr. Kruger eventually won, but actually did worse his first two seasons. Kruger also won only 11 games the same year Marvin did, but Kruger worshipped here as a god like coach while the current coach gets sh!t on.

Crazy.

Kruger has a record of success.

The best win in the history of Marvin was last season in Reno.

Barack Obama