Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nocoolnamejim

OT - Gauging Fantasy Football Interest

Hey all.

So this is ostensibly a sports board and not a politics board - even if it does skew a little more towards the latter during these dry non football or basketball months - so I'm kind of curious as to how many people here might be interested in getting together to form a NFL Fantasy Football league this year. 

What I was thinking about would be a league with a buy-in to keep everyone playing and competing rather than dropping if they get off to a rough start in the first four weeks, but not a big one because I want to keep things fun and the camaraderie high. (Insert communist joke here)

I'm pretty flexible on the details beyond that, aside from everyone agreeing to both show up to the draft and actively manage their teams for the full season even if they fall out of contention to keep things fair and fun for everyone else who signs up. My initial thought is something like this though.

1. PPR scoring (to offset the prominence of certain RBs like Todd Gurley and LeVeon Bell and create more than one path to securing a winning team than just nabbing all the best runningbacks in a standard league)

2. Free Agent Auction Budget Waivers: Under this system everyone gets a set amount of fantasy dollars to use to bid on players on waivers each week over the course of the season. This is, I think, I bit more strategic and rewards research because you get to choose just how badly you want an available player vs. saving your cash. It also allows you to throw in additional cash considerations when doing player trades. "I'll trade you Player X AND 10 FAAB dollars for Player Y." This may not be something that a lot of people have done before in their fantasy football leagues, but I experimented with it last year and it worked awesome. 

3. Something like this for a lineup.

Starters:

Quarterback

Runningback 1

Runningback 2

Wide Receiver 1

Wide Receiver 2

Flex 1

Flex 2

Tight End

Defense and Special Teams

Kicker

Bench: 7 Bench spots (Depending on number of owners.)

4. Number of owners: I'd like to see a league of somewhere between 8 and 12 teams. Fewer than 8 teams and everyone's rosters are just to stacked. Greater than 12 teams and whomever gets a handful of elite players just has to much of advantage

etc. etc.

In my ideal world, I'd also love to do an auction draft as well but that really does require 100% draft participation to pull off or otherwise the computer just bids up every single player removing the fun of finding steals and the strategy of trying to manipulate your fellow owners. But really I'm pretty flexible on ALL of these suggestions.

Anyway, like I said, this is just seeing how much interest is out there. If there's enough people who want to do this, we can talk as a group and hash out whatever the majority wants on any particular issue. If there's not enough interest, then oh well I just wasted a few minutes making a post.

Just now, RebelRobert said:

I would play if it is at least a $50 buy in.

What fantasy app are you planning to use?

I prefer NFLFantasy or ESPNFantasy

Under $50 I am not interested.

I was pretty much thinking ESPN. It's what I'm most familiar with and like. 

I'm pretty flexible on the buy-in amount. I generally have a preference for higher stakes because I think that keeps people more motivated to stay engaged, but if it comes down to either having higher stakes or a good number of owners I'd probably lean towards the latter.

1 hour ago, nocoolnamejim said:

I was pretty much thinking ESPN. It's what I'm most familiar with and like. 

I'm pretty flexible on the buy-in amount. I generally have a preference for higher stakes because I think that keeps people more motivated to stay engaged, but if it comes down to either having higher stakes or a good number of owners I'd probably lean towards the latter.

Fantrax allows you to set up whatever you want online with a pretty good system that will handle payments online via cc or PayPal. Though $80 of the entry fees goes to them as a service fee (worth it to me as you don’t have to worry about the money and the interface is easy and thorough). I play a couple buyin leagues there and run a college league. Definitely prefer the college. We played several mwcboard free to play seasons with a G5 only format in recent years.

20 minutes ago, cgzpack said:

Fantrax allows you to set up whatever you want online with a pretty good system that will handle payments online via cc or PayPal. Though $80 of the entry fees goes to them as a service fee (worth it to me as you don’t have to worry about the money and the interface is easy and thorough). I play a couple buyin leagues there and run a college league. Definitely prefer the college. We played several mwcboard free to play seasons with a G5 only format in recent years.

I've done some leagues before that had buyins via things like Paypal, and one of the way around them taking a cut is to designate the payment as a "gift".

If we can select some trustworthy, neutral party to hold onto the money (oh hey @mugtang) then the payments for the league can be sent to that person as "gifts" and he can pay out winners at the end of the season and the payment method doesn't take any cut.

2 minutes ago, nocoolnamejim said:

I've done some leagues before that had buyins via things like Paypal, and one of the way around them taking a cut is to designate the payment as a "gift".

If we can select some trustworthy, neutral party to hold onto the money (oh hey @mugtang) then the payments for the league can be sent to that person as "gifts" and he can pay out winners at the end of the season and the payment method doesn't take any cut.

I would be willing to hold the money if that’s what you guys want. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Just keeping track of our progress on this. Nobody is locked in because things could change based on buy-in amount and stuff, but just a general gist of what I'm hearing.

In:

@Me

@RebelRobert

@GOUNMLOBOS

@cgzpack

I have a fifth person who has communicated to me privately that they're available if we come up one person short so this is good progress so far for a single evening.

Just bumping this up for a new day. I know we're in the part of the calendar year where traffic to a board like this is at it's lowest. 

So, I apologize for the bump but I want to keep the interest and momentum building.

Can the people who are interested shoot me over their email address by IM?

On the...tenuous...assumption that we'll get enough additional interest to get a league going I'm going to create a league on ESPN and send out invites.

Speak it into existence and all that.

I've created "The League of Sexy Bitches" for the new ruling elites who are signing up to self-identify as and the first round of invites has been sent out to people who have sent me their email addresses.

We got a ninth.

My apologies for the repeated emails.  I don't intend to spam. Whenever I send out an invite, it resends to anyone who hasn't already accepted the previous invite.

On 6/27/2018 at 9:04 PM, nocoolnamejim said:

I didn’t know commies played fantasy. Sounds fun though, I’m in. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.