Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MWC Tex

Vegas Bowl considering playing two games in 2020 with new stadium

1 hour ago, RebelRobert said:

Not the same situation at all.

SDSU is a tenant in an old broken down stadium and the Aztecs agreed to horrible terms when negotiating the deal.

UNLV will be playing in the best Stadium in the world.  Brand NEW and we get paid millions to play there.  We get full use of 70% of the 100 suites and use of all facilities.  UNLV gets our own locker rooms and our own turf with whatever UNLV logos we want to put on it.

View of the LV Strip five mins from campus!

UNLV will be fine.  This is a major upgrade, not a downgrade and we still own our stadium that we can sell or keep if we want to.

I hope you are right, and I am wrong. I would love to see the evidence of the "millions" they will be making, as well as the contractual terms you mentioned. 

8 minutes ago, fanhood said:

I hope you are right, and I am wrong. I would love to see the evidence of the "millions" they will be making, as well as the contractual terms you mentioned. 

Google.  It has been around for awhile.  Not hard to use.  Self reliance.

Guest #1Stunner
2 hours ago, RebelRobert said:

Let’s be clear, The 2021 neutral site game between Brigham Young and Arizona was expected to be played at Sam Boyd Stadium and the contract BYU signed was with UNLV who owns Sam Boyd Stadium.  UNLV would control any move to the new stadium.

You may be correct.  I'd have to see the agreement.   The last game played at the University of Phoenix stadium had a large crowd.   A game in Las Vegas will be even bigger....

Regardless, I expect BYU to regularly schedule games in Las Vegas at the new stadium.    BYU vs Notre Dame is the rumor right now.

UNLV is going to get some big OOC games moving forward---that stadium is huge for you guys.  It's the games vs the San Jose's and Fresno's that will have tiny crowds.

Guest #1Stunner
2 hours ago, RebelRobert said:

UNLV will be paid $3.5 million a year to play in the new stadium and UNLV can sell 70% of the 100 luxury suites for our home games and we keep all of the money from those sales as well as club level and non premium seat revenues as well.

Raiders games will all be sold out.  NFL games are very expensive and what one ticket costs for the Raiders you can get season tickets for UNLV Football in a brand new indoor stadium with all the same amenities.

UNLV will benefit greatly from this move.  Many people will get tickets to both the Raiders and UNLV, it doesn’t have to be one or the other.

You really think that people are going to attend a football game all day on Saturday, and then also on Sunday???

I think it will be one or the other.  Not likely both.

Guest #1Stunner

Some insight into the new stadium hosting college games:

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/sports-columns/ron-kantowski/nfl-stadium-would-give-las-vegas-neutral-site-college-football-option/

A lot of conference shuffling and recruiting violations will take place between now and when the Cougars and Wildcats buckle their chin straps in Las Vegas. But a proposed 65,000-seat domed stadium, to be built by Las Vegas Sands Corp., Majestic Realty and the Oakland Raiders, makes these neutral site college games a topic worth revisiting.

Las Vegas Events president Pat Christenson recently was speaking wistfully, noting that if the city had access to a stadium with bells and whistles, Las Vegas could host more of these neutral site contests — or maybe even a weekly series with a TV deal, a la Monday Night Football.

After seeing some of the payments the Power 5 juggernauts are demanding and how the TV deals are structured, he concedes there would be challenges to hosting a weekly series of neutral site games.

“You’re looking at $5 million guarantees,” Christenson said.

But the nonpower conference teams wouldn’t ask for as much up front. That’s why BYU vs. Arizona could work, or BYU vs. anybody. Or Boise State vs. Arizona State, or Boise State vs. anybody.

It would boost ticket sales if at least one of the participants had a strong regional following.

“You could have two of those and maybe USC and Alabama,” Christenson said. “You could do one big game, and maybe two with BYU or Boise State, who want to play a power conference, but the power conference does not want to go to their stadium.”

Tom Holmoe, the longtime BYU athletic director who has three Super Bowl rings from his days as a San Francisco 49ers defensive back, expressed enthusiasm about becoming a semi-regular visitor.

“I am looking forward to working with Pat Christenson and his peers on potential future neutral football games in Las Vegas,” Holmoe said via email. “One other vital piece in the equation is the support of the UNLV athletic department. I felt that it was important and that we needed their permission to participate in a college football game ‘on their turf.’ ”

Yes, Google is not hard to use....

That 3.5 million UNLV MIGHT get is if revenues drop with the move.  It's not guaranteed.

A key part of the UNLV-Raiders deal — and it’s also in the enabling state legislation, Senate Bill 1 — is that the university has a big “waterfall” payment in its back pocket if revenues drop when UNLV moves from Sam Boyd Stadium to the new Raiders stadium. UNLV can receive up to $3.5 million a year for 10 years from the state if there is a revenue stream loss by making the move to the new venue.

https://lvsportsbiz.com/2018/01/19/unlv-gets-football-stadium-using-raiders-stadium-hefty-price-nevada-regents-approval/

And its not rent free.

The university’s rent payment to the Raiders will be determined on an annual basis and will consist of only actual operational costs of using the 65,000-seat facility. Before each UNLV season, university and Raiders official will meet to determine services and costs. Net revenues from UNLV games and events will be paid to the university within 60 days of stadium officials noticing the school of its game-day costs.

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2017/dec/28/unlv-scores-big-win-with-draft-stadium-agreement/

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

13 minutes ago, RSF said:

Yes, Google is not hard to use....

That 3.5 million UNLV MIGHT get is if revenues drop with the move.  It's not guaranteed.

A key part of the UNLV-Raiders deal — and it’s also in the enabling state legislation, Senate Bill 1 — is that the university has a big “waterfall” payment in its back pocket if revenues drop when UNLV moves from Sam Boyd Stadium to the new Raiders stadium. UNLV can receive up to $3.5 million a year for 10 years from the state if there is a revenue stream loss by making the move to the new venue.

https://lvsportsbiz.com/2018/01/19/unlv-gets-football-stadium-using-raiders-stadium-hefty-price-nevada-regents-approval/

And its not rent free.

The university’s rent payment to the Raiders will be determined on an annual basis and will consist of only actual operational costs of using the 65,000-seat facility. Before each UNLV season, university and Raiders official will meet to determine services and costs. Net revenues from UNLV games and events will be paid to the university within 60 days of stadium officials noticing the school of its game-day costs.

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2017/dec/28/unlv-scores-big-win-with-draft-stadium-agreement/

Obviously there will be a $3.5 million revenue loss for the university since they won’t be hosting events at Sam Boyd Stadium anymore.  So it is GUARANTEED as long as UNLV doesn’t host any events at Sam Boyd.  $35 million paid to UNLV to play in the new stadium.

Who said it was rent free?  UNLV paid about $150,000 per game in San Boyd and expect game day costs in the new stadium to be about $250,000.  The difference is that UNLV will have 60 extra luxury suites to sell and all of those premium seats that they don’t have now.  So UNLV will make way more MONEY!

That's a nice spin move you got there....

If UNLV makes WAY more money, then the 3.5 million is unavailable.  that money is only for a loss of overall revenue, not merely the loss of specific revenue streams.  So it takes into account the loss of revenue streams (the Rugby 7s, for instance) at Sam Boyd plus the presumed increase in revenue generated by UNLV by using of the stadium.  So, no, not guaranteed.  If UNLV falls a million short, they get a million.  It's a safety net in the event UNLV football truly sucks at generating revenue and its needed to make up the difference.  In a worst case scenario, UNLV is no worse off financially by moving.  If they succeed in generating increased revenues, the 3.5 million (or any portion of it) will not be paid.  Its on page 2 of the agreement.  Google it.

The rent free was someone else.  My mistake.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

7 minutes ago, RSF said:

That's a nice spin move you got there....

If UNLV makes WAY more money, then the 3.5 million is unavailable.  that money is only for a loss of overall revenue, not merely the loss of specific revenue streams.  So it takes into account the loss of revenue streams (the Rugby 7s, for instance) at Sam Boyd plus the presumed increase in revenue generated by UNLV by using of the stadium.  So, no, not guaranteed.  If UNLV falls a million short, they get a million.  It's a safety net in the event UNLV football truly sucks at generating revenue and its needed to make up the difference.  In a worst case scenario, UNLV is no worse off financially by moving.  If they succeed in generating increased revenues, the 3.5 million (or any portion of it) will not be paid.  Its on page 2 of the agreement.  Google it.

The rent free was someone else.  My mistake.

It is a loss in revenue from Sam Boyd Stadium.  Which means if the new stadium steals the Las Vegas Bowl and Monster Trucks/AMA Motocross Finals that will cost us $3.5 million in lost revenue.

UNLV Football has little to nothing to do with it.  Loss of revenue from Sam Boyd will be tied to other events and a third grader with zero math skills could find a $3.5 million dollar loss without even trying.  Don’t get your frleelomg hurt because UNLV is getting a good deal.  Just keep reading more about it and trying to educate yourself.

Any accounting major can show a $3.5 million loss without a problem when you subtract LV Bowl, AMA and Monster Trucks from Sam Boyd!  UNLV will show a $3.5 million loss every year regardless of what UNLV Football does.

38 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

It is a loss in revenue from Sam Boyd Stadium.  Which means if the new stadium steals the Las Vegas Bowl and Monster Trucks/AMA Motocross Finals that will cost us $3.5 million in lost revenue.

UNLV Football has little to nothing to do with it.  Loss of revenue from Sam Boyd will be tied to other events and a third grader with zero math skills could find a $3.5 million dollar loss without even trying.  Don’t get your frleelomg hurt because UNLV is getting a good deal.  Just keep reading more about it and trying to educate yourself.

Any accounting major can show a $3.5 million loss without a problem when you subtract LV Bowl, AMA and Monster Trucks from Sam Boyd!  UNLV will show a $3.5 million loss every year regardless of what UNLV Football does.

Question: Then how is it a new revenue stream? If it loses money from one account that is reimbursed from another?

Guest #1Stunner
36 minutes ago, SparkysDad said:

So zoob fans can go to Vegas to watch a good bowl game while your football team stays home? :ph34r:

You guys won't get a 2nd Las Vegas Bowl in place without BYU's help.

12 hours ago, crixus said:

The Potato Bowl of 2009 was a great game. Idaho beat Bowling Green 43-42 in the snow. It was back and forth throughout, one of the best bowl games I've watched.

Snow always helps. You can hear the "NFL Films" voice guy narrating the action.

Still, that bowl has probably seen its best days and should be put down.

7 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

Question: Then how is it a new revenue stream? If it loses money from one account that is reimbursed from another?

Its not. Any revenue goes to pay off the note. Not the case for SBS. But let's not pretend SBS was any cash cow. They were very limited in the kinds of events they could book.

Ultimately any financial benefit Vegas sees will be second hand, but Vegas is very good at quantifying and realizing that. If they say this stadium will bring in X billions $$$ through increased tourism.... well, they haven't been wrong often on that yet. 

15 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

8 hours ago, SharkTanked said:

Its not. Any revenue goes to pay off the note. Not the case for SBS. But let's not pretend SBS was any cash cow. They were very limited in the kinds of events they could book.

Ultimately any financial benefit Vegas sees will be second hand, but Vegas is very good at quantifying and realizing that. If they say this stadium will bring in X billions $$$ through increased tourism.... well, they haven't been wrong often on that yet. 

Doesn't UNLV get to sell suites for their games?  If they do, then that is a new revenue stream for UNLV because there wasn't that possibility with Sam Boyd Stadium.

22 hours ago, RebelRobert said:

I really don’t care when or if they decide.  

UNLV is being paid millions to play in the new stadium and our games are guaranteed.

It makes no difference to me if loser MWC teams get a bowl game in the new stadium or not.  I know that UNLV will be taken care of.  I don’t care about the rest of you.

Raiders can take as long as they want on the bowl decisions.  In the end what makes the most money for the Stadium is what will be chosen.  Rebels already locked in our spots.  MWC will be far down the pecking order.

Sucks for you guys not for UNLV.

What a great conference member.

I guess y'all don't ever plan on being the #1 bowl choice from the conference.  

On 6/28/2018 at 9:57 AM, RebelRobert said:

Time will not change anything.

I don’t think you get it.  UNLV and Las Vegas are leaving you behind and we don’t feel bad about it.  Enjoy the last few times you are allowed in Vegas.

If you losers want more Vegas exposure... Offer up a better product.  Beggars can’t be Choosers.

"Offer up a better product..." says a guy's who school has gone to one bowl game in the last 17-seasons.

Guest #1Stunner
10 hours ago, SharkTanked said:

TKM isn't coming through that door...

There will be a second bowl game with or without the borg. 

Umm... Las Vegas is BYU's second home.

We love Las Vegas.

original.JPG?fm=jpg&auto=format&w=900