Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheDoggFather

Fresno State's new AD, Terry Tumey

2 minutes ago, TheDoggFather said:

He's from Yukon, OK. Fresno may well be like La Jolla to him.

Why isn't "La Hoya" where Georgetown plays?

:drunkards:

24 minutes ago, TheDoggFather said:

He's from Yukon, OK. Fresno may well be like La Jolla to him.

He lives in Davis, CA now.  It's nicer than Fresbergh, but very similar.

2016-2018...Claremont-Mudd-Scripps AD

2012-2015...Cal-Davis AD

2009-2012...Dominican Univ (CA) AD

2004-2009...SF 49-ers Dir of F'ball Admin

2001-2008...SF 49-er Defensive Coach

2-yrs.............Denver Broncos Asst Coach

???...............UCLA Grad Asst & Asst Coach 

Mid-'80's.....UCLA Nose Guard

https://localwiki.org/davis/Terrance_J._'Terry'_Tumey

1 hour ago, GoState99755 said:

Nope, he was living in LA working as AD at D3 Claremont-Mudd. His wife works for UCSF and was commuting to the Bay Area couple times a week.

19 minutes ago, TheDoggFather said:

Nope, he was living in LA working as AD at D3 Claremont-Mudd. His wife works for UCSF and was commuting to the Bay Area couple times a week.

You are correct.  ¿Any idea why he left Davis for a D-III ppm?

President didn't think he'd done enough to raise money for athletics. Nevermind, he'd raised more than any other Davis AD FOR athletics. Also, he got grief for hiring Ron Gould who didn't do very well. President wanted to "raise the profile of the football program," so he goes and hires Jeff Tedford's best recruiter from Cal. Gould was a hot property at the time. Davis was a really hard place to recruit to, largely because the president reneged on her promise to relax entrance requirements for athletes.

10 minutes ago, TheDoggFather said:

President didn't think he'd done enough to raise money for athletics. Nevermind, he'd raised more than any other Davis AD FOR athletics. Also, he got grief for hiring Ron Gould who didn't do very well. President wanted to "raise the profile of the football program," so he goes and hires Jeff Tedford's best recruiter from Cal. Gould was a hot property at the time. Davis was a really hard place to recruit to, largely because the president reneged on her promise to relax entrance requirements for athletes.

Terry was replace by Ron's wife Teresa Gould.

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/college/article17795351.html

I think he will be ok...He came from UCLA..has a Masters and really seemed to be excited  his new job.  FSU will take care of him...but he has big job ahead. We will see in a few years his potential..hopefully he will speak his mind when at the MWC meetings and put Hairball in his place to protect the Universities interest. 

On 6/26/2018 at 1:58 AM, smithy said:

I think he will be ok...He came from UCLA..has a Masters and really seemed to be excited  his new job.  FSU will take care of him...but he has big job ahead. We will see in a few years his potential..hopefully he will speak his mind when at the MWC meetings and put Hairball in his place to protect the Universities interest. 

¿REALLY?

You just hired a D-III AD.

FWIW...he was at UCLA in the '80's 

On 6/25/2018 at 1:38 PM, GoState99755 said:

Not sure if serious. IF serious, fail. The two are similar in regard to weather and are both agricultural but that's about it. Fresno is very spread out like a wannabe L.A. whereas Davis proper is compact. Therefore, like L.A., "nobody walks in (Fresno)" whereas much walking and biking is done in Davis. Also, because it's a college town, Davis has some culture whereas I've personally somehow missed whatever culture Fresno may have. Then there's gangs. If Davis has any, I've also somehow missed them but they're impossible to miss in Fresno.

Conclusion: Except to make considerably more money as Tumey will be doing, nobody would leave Davis for Fresno.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Davis is 9.9 square miles. Just Fresno alone is 115 square miles. That doesn't include the adjacent city of Clovis is 25 sq miles...and that doesn't include adjacent county areas either. It's far easier to walk and bike in Davis...also, the actual places you want to go in Davis are probably confined to 2 sq miles.

Sorry, my best friend went to college at Davis, I spent many a weekend there. If you want culture, you drive to Sacramento.

Leave Davis? The only reason you'd even live there is that you worked at the University. It's not exactly a garden spot with booming industries.

It always fascinates me that most people who have a negative opinion of Fresno either never lived here or base their opinion on what they see driving up highway 41 on the way to somewhere.