Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Del Scorcho

Utah - Nevada home and home (hoops)

I really like this game, I think we're 0-10 all time against Utah in basketball. Would be nice to win both of these.

I just can't for the life of me understand the Akron game. Surely, we could've gotten someone better than that.

I think the Pac 12 sucking last year helped us land some better OOC games. They realize they actually need to play some good teams OOC.

2 hours ago, bigd said:

I really like this game, I think we're 0-10 all time against Utah in basketball. Would be nice to win both of these.

I just can't for the life of me understand the Akron game. Surely, we could've gotten someone better than that.

I think the Pac 12 sucking last year helped us land some better OOC games. They realize they actually need to play some good teams OOC.

Yeah the Akron game is so disappointing 

7 minutes ago, Packman04 said:

Yeah the Akron game is so disappointing 

Akron's won the MAC regular season crown four times this decade.  They're usually halfway decent.

1 hour ago, jdgaucho said:

Akron's won the MAC regular season crown four times this decade.  They're usually halfway decent.

Historically definitely solid but last year they were 14-18 finishing Kenpom ranked 288.  They do have almost everyone coming back, plus Coach Ruta does his homework, so Im confidence they’ll be better.  The question is how much?  Seems like a quad 3 opportunity, but I’m hardly an expert. 

1 minute ago, NevadaFan said:

Do you think if they could have got something better than Akron it would have? There’s a balance. You want some gimmes too. Christ people. Slow down. 

Yeah I now realize how it came across, probably should have just kept my mouth shut.  I completely understand there is a balance and getting teams to Lawlor is extremely hard.  To answer your question, no obviously Akron was the best Ruta could get done.  Although we do have some gimmes, Cal Baptist and Little Rock I would put nto that category.  Before I get another, “Christ people” yes I realize those games were prearranged, because they are part of the Vegas tournament.

Overall I like our schedule...it’s solid, I guess I was just hoping for one sure fire preseason top 25 team.

6 minutes ago, Packman04 said:

Yeah I now realize how it came across, probably should have just kept my mouth shut.  I completely understand there is a balance and getting teams to Lawlor is extremely hard.  To answer your question, no obviously Akron was the best Ruta could get done.  Although we do have some gimmes, Cal Baptist and Little Rock I would put nto that category.  Before I get another, “Christ people” yes I realize those games were prearranged, because they are part of the Vegas tournament.

Overall I like our schedule...it’s solid, I guess I was just hoping for one sure fire preseason top 25 team.

This, during a normal season this would be a very good schedule for us. However, it appears that we will have a once in a generation type team. It's a shame that we likely won't play a single top 25 team all year. Last years games against TCU, Rhode Island, and Texas Tech were better than anything we currently have.

12 minutes ago, bigd said:

This, during a normal season this would be a very good schedule for us. However, it appears that we will have a once in a generation type team. It's a shame that we likely won't play a single top 25 team all year. Last years games against TCU, Rhode Island, and Texas Tech were better than anything we currently have.

Tough to know how it will ultimately shake out but yeah Nevada needs USC, ASU, or Utah have a good season.  Playing all those games on the road or neutral will definitely help.  

Honestly I think we all knew Rhode Island was going to be good, but I don’t think many of us saw them becoming our signature win.  So guess I should just chill a bit and see what happens.  Still makes for good conversation in June though.

23 minutes ago, Packman04 said:

Tough to know how it will ultimately shake out but yeah Nevada needs USC, ASU, or Utah have a good season.  Playing all those games on the road or neutral will definitely help.  

Honestly I think we all knew Rhode Island was going to be good, but I don’t think many of us saw them becoming our signature win.  So guess I should just chill a bit and see what happens.  Still makes for good conversation in June though.

True, and though Texas Tech and TCU were expected to be good, I think both exceeded preseason expectations 

8k3esKz.png

11 hours ago, Packman04 said:

Pretty decent chance at least one of the Pac teams ends up as top 25. Having a couple other MWC teams end up being good would also be very helpful.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

On 6/25/2018 at 12:00 PM, Thomas said:

Sure. 

No offense intended, man. I just remember his name was "Hill".

He retired, right? No scandals prompting a hasty leave? Should have been at the end of a long career at UU.

You're good.  It's a running joke around here that he made everyone call him "doctor" because he had a doctorate in education

On 6/25/2018 at 12:33 PM, Mano said:

The program was so down when he took over, that he gets a bit of a pass. He took the program to the sweet 16, which was expected back in the 90's, but was a big deal when he did it. With what he is being paid, I expect the Utes to regularly be making the NCAA tournament. The knock on them last year was the poor OOC schedule, and that certainly has been addressed, we will see how they perform against it.

I like Krystko, I would say he is a very good coach, but not elite like Majerus was in the day, but I don't think Utah is in a position to regularly attract elite guys ( there are only a few of them ), so he is probably as good as we can hope for. I put Whitt into the same category in football.

I think Whitt is way better than Krysko.  Whitt is your guys LaVell Edwards.

On 6/25/2018 at 1:21 PM, madmartigan said:

South Salt lake (the area where you were) is overrun by vagrants. Certain parts of downtown are also no bueno. I live downtown and went on a 15 minute walk and was asked 4 times for cash. Big homeless problem here. 

And it's funny, I was told we "cured" homelessness around here.  It seems as bad as it's ever been to me.

On 6/25/2018 at 1:33 PM, Thomas said:

Yeah, I was aware that the Downtown has had its issues for years, like most every city does, but that was like 3 stations south of the 'city' itself, or so I thought.

I guess Sandy will someday have a homeless problem, at this rate?

They just get on the train and go panhandle in Sandy.  I hate Trax.  Tons of taxes, benefit to very few.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

On 6/25/2018 at 10:12 PM, bigd said:

Loyola Chicago returns most of their team and will likely start the year in the top 20.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

44 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Loyola Chicago returns most of their team and will likely start the year in the top 20.

Good call, somehow I forgot about that game. Hopefully they're able to live up to the hype (hopefully we are too haha). That should be one of our more fun games OOC.

38 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

No disrespect to Utah, but INLV is a better job.  We get better recruits, and the results will match soon.

LOL

1 minute ago, ph90702 said:

Show me those great Utah recruits.

As UNLV fans should know by now, not everything is about recruiting. Utah has won more than double as many games in the tournament as UNLV this century (and more all time). Their coach almost makes 5 times as much as Menzies, and they play in a better conference. Really no comparison which is the better job.

7 minutes ago, bigd said:

As UNLV fans should know by now, not everything is about recruiting. Utah has won more than double as many games in the tournament as UNLV this century (and more all time). Their coach almost makes 5 times as much as Menzies, and they play in a better conference. Really no comparison which is the better job.

Exactly.  UNLV hands down.  We get better players.  Just like Gonzaga is a better job than Utah.