Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sactowndog

George Will opinion piece

George Will is a good guy. He’s absolutely right, the Republican Party has lost its compass and has gone off the rails.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

59 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

George Will is a good guy. He’s absolutely right, the Republican Party has lost its compass and has gone off the rails.

...as has the Democratic Party, which is now against Free Speech if they don't agree with what is being said, burns/disrespects the Flag and Anthem, tries to paint all Law Enforcement Officers as "evil", and openly advocates ignoring Federal Immigration Laws.

Fun times we live in.

A third party is probably on the way sooner rather than later, at this rate.

7 hours ago, Thomas said:

...as has the Democratic Party, which is now against Free Speech if they don't agree with what is being said, burns/disrespects the Flag and Anthem, 

(Burning/disrespecting the Flag and Anthem is free speech)

I've enjoyed George Will's views on politics and baseball for a long time. But I wonder what took him so long to speak up about the garbage eminating out of the White House and DC in general? It was evident to me after the first month of Drumpfdom that his blind parrot Republican cronie$ are spineless. Thank you for finally speaking out George!

16 minutes ago, crixus said:

I've enjoyed George Will's views on politics and baseball for a long time. But I wonder what took him so long to speak up about the garbage eminating out of the White House and DC in general? It was evident to me after the first month of Drumpfdom that his blind parrot Republican cronie$ are spineless. Thank you for finally speaking out George!

George Will actually was speaking out and has been part of the never-Trump folks from the beginning. He has never endorsed Trump. I have a lot of respect for him.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

6 minutes ago, pokebball said:

Absolutely! But let's not lose sight of the meaning / message of those doing so.

Let's not lose sight that that guy managed to contradict himself in the same freaking sentence. Too funny. 

3 hours ago, Fort Fun said:

(Burning/disrespecting the Flag and Anthem is free speech)

That doesn't make it right, and certainly doesn't make it popular with a majority of Americans.

Protesting with swastika flags is also free speech, but is similarly viewed with negativity by most.

1 hour ago, Thomas said:

That doesn't make it right, and certainly doesn't make it popular with a majority of Americans.

Protesting with swastika flags is also free speech, but is similarly viewed with negativity by most.

Thomas - life isn't a popularity contest.

Is the first amendment really important to you?

Bad things happen all the time we don't all agree with them.

Will you admit that rule of law supersedes popular opinion?

Hunting for reasons to point fingers at one side is not going to start an honest dialogue - something for you to think about.

I think I've been very clear!

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

32 minutes ago, Boise fan said:

Hunting for reasons to point fingers at one side is not going to start an honest dialogue - something for you to think about.

This is a good post.  I find burning the flag to be in really poor taste and offensive.  I am glad I live in a country where I can though.

1 hour ago, Boise fan said:

The 1st Amendment is very important to most. 

...but not to the Left, who currently tries to silence all speech they don't agree with by labeling it "hate speech". I'm old enough to remember when Democrats were champions of free speech- those days are over.

No one on the right is trying to silence their political critics.

Again, the current Democratic Party engaged in a lot of behavior today that has been seen as "unAmerican" by most for generations. I can only hope the saner Centrists prevail in what looks like a losing effort at keeping control of the organization.

9 minutes ago, Thomas said:

...but not to the Left, who currently tries to silence all speech they don't agree with by labeling it "hate speech". I'm old enough to remember when Democrats were champions of free speech- those days are over.

Again, the current Democratic Party engaged in a lot of behavior today that has been seen as "unAmerican" by most for generations. I can only hope the saber Centrists prevail in what looks like a losing effort at keeping control of the organization.

You should be on the radio. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

16 minutes ago, Fort Fun said:

[eggshells] Since we're discussing the anthem, can we talk about how The Star Spangled Banner is hot garbage, or is the issue to hot to even broach the subject? [/eggshells]

Yes, but 98% of Americans are unaware that the Banner has more than one verse. I kind of look at it like Thomas Jefferson's writings vs his slave ownership; just because times were different back then doesn't mean we should erase the good work those people did.

1 minute ago, Thomas said:

Yes, but 98% of Americans are unaware that the Banner has more than one verse. I kind of look at it like Thomas Jefferson's writings vs his slave ownership; just because times were different back then doesn't mean we should erase the good work those people did.

I'm talking musically. It needs to be replaced and that's the platform I'm running on in 2020.

56 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Again, the current Democratic Party engaged in a lot of behavior today that has been seen as "unAmerican" by most for generations. I can only hope the saner Centrists prevail in what looks like a losing effort at keeping control of the organization.

You must live in a vacuum, Thomas.

Cons are always trying to differentiate who the left and right is.

Making such statements like "the left tries to silence free speech" is bad.

Good writers avoid those kind of statements, even writers like George Will.

Saying the right is not trying to silence their critics is tone deaf and like a hunter after possum with a machine gun - poor hunting.

I trust I'm being clear in my message.

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

14 hours ago, Thomas said:

...as has the Democratic Party, which is now against Free Speech if they don't agree with what is being said, burns/disrespects the Flag and Anthem, tries to paint all Law Enforcement Officers as "evil", and openly advocates ignoring Federal Immigration Laws.

Fun times we live in.

A third party is probably on the way sooner rather than later, at this rate.

NFL player kneeling is free speech but trump & wing nuts rail against that free speech 

54 minutes ago, Fort Fun said:

[eggshells] Since we're discussing the anthem, can we talk about how The Star Spangled Banner is hot garbage, or is the issue to hot to even broach the subject? [/eggshells]

Or that if the Anthem hadn't become a tradition at sporting events we'd probably never hear the song more than once a year on the 4th of July