Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NWRebel

Is Fresh Sustainable Fish on your Menu?

4 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

I know you are but what am I?

Did you see my response to Thomas in the George Will thread? 

More importantly, did you get it? It's positively cryptic! :D

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

14 minutes ago, Boise fan said:

That was a good post. Nice work.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

4 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

The most powerful regulator in the world is the consumer. 

I agree with you a lot but not here, at all. The consumer does not have the ability or power to discern what they're getting. Often it is great to regulate in a reactionary manner, and in those cases, it is the consumer who does best. In others you must be proactive. Food and drugs are in that category. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

3 minutes ago, happycamper said:

I agree with you a lot but not here, at all. The consumer does not have the ability or power to discern what they're getting. Often it is great to regulate in a reactionary manner, and in those cases, it is the consumer who does best. In others you must be proactive. Food and drugs are in that category. 

I'm not saying regulations are bad, I'm just responding in a snarky way to Comrade fan. That said, regulations can't prevent all bad behavior .. whether it be corruption or just plain laziness. My best friend works in the restaurant industry and there are several restaurants back in Boise where he wont visit even though they pass health inspection. 

5 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

I'm not saying regulations are bad, I'm just responding in a snarky way to Comrade fan. That said, regulations can't prevent all bad behavior .. whether it be corruption or just plain laziness. My best friend works in the restaurant industry and there are several restaurants back in Boise where he wont visit even though they pass health inspection. 

Sure. I just feel like in this case it's tougher to sue this company in to compliance than to pre verify their catches. Tbh I feel like a single retired Fisher Captain in Each port would be more than adequate regulation...

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

38 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Sure. I just feel like in this case it's tougher to sue this company in to compliance than to pre verify their catches. Tbh I feel like a single retired Fisher Captain in Each port would be more than adequate regulation...

There are some industries that do a very good job of self regulating through certification. But yes, I understand why there needs to be proper labeling and quality inspections for food.

6 hours ago, happycamper said:

Living on the Gulf , the only way I know I'm getting fresh red snapper, grouper, triggerfish, amberjack,etc.  Is when I catch them myself.

There are lots of restaurants here that 'claim ' to serve those same fish.  And many do, but, they may have been frozen for months. Those fish I mentioned are regulated. The season is short ,especially for Red Snapper. Typically only a few weeks in June for charter boats. 

When I see advertisements in October at restaurant's for 'fresh snapper ' I know it's BS. But the casual tourist doesnt.

There is one particular restaurant owner who puts advertisements regarding this fallacy on tv.

He advises people to be their own advocate and frequent those places that have fish delivered daily straight from the docks. 

The restaurant's that do put that info on their websites.

It's self-regulating.  

4 minutes ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

Living on the Gulf , the only way I know I'm getting fresh red snapper, grouper, triggerfish, amberjack,etc.  Is when I catch them myself.

There are lots of restaurants here that 'claim ' to serve those same fish.  And many do, but, they may have been frozen for months. Those fish I mentioned are regulated. The season is short ,especially for Red Snapper. Typically only a few weeks in June for charter boats. 

When I see advertisements in October at restaurant's for 'fresh snapper ' I know it's BS. But the casual tourist doesnt.

There is one particular restaurant owner who puts advertisements regarding this fallacy on tv.

He advises people to be their own advocate and frequent those places that have fish delivered daily straight from the docks. 

It's self-regulating.  

The best regulator is the competition.   Unlike a government official who is always too lazy to do their job and has no motivation to do it well.  Competition will advertise and make the public aware of the lies.  While a government official is likely to take a couple free fish filets and look the other way.

I think regulation is appropriate at times.  I think recent electronic logs for trucking is because a significant portion of the industry was irresponsible, despite other industry efforts at self regulations.

110926run_defense710.jpg

1 hour ago, modestobulldog said:

How can an individual test a carbon monoxide detector?

I can test a smoke detector when my wife cooks.

10 hours ago, Boise fan said:

Cryptic posts are gay.

12 hours ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

It's self-regulating.  

What you're describing is not self-regulating. It is unregulated, neither through the incompetent regulating agency nor through the totally uninformed public. 

9 hours ago, Thomas said:

Cryptic posts are gay.

Homophobic posts are idiotic. 

20 hours ago, Boise fan said:

You do understand what regulations are, right?

How many more inspectors do you want to hire. The FDA does inspections on average of every 2 years for domestic firms and every 9 on foreign companies. They have had a 500 million dollar budget increase this year. You would have to increase the number of inspectors and support staff exponentially as they only do 20-40 inspections per month. Maybe it's worth it.

12 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

How many more inspectors do you want to hire. The FDA does inspections on average of every 2 years for domestic firms and every 9 on foreign companies. They have had a 500 million dollar budget increase this year. You would have to increase the number of inspectors and support staff exponentially as they only do 20-40 inspections per month. Maybe it's worth it.

Part of the government's hiring issues. What would make sense is to hire old crusty guys from industry as I said above. Essentially they could have it as a part time job.  

I wonder if a special third party certification will start to take the load off "Certified local fresh" is something I'd pay for.