Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

toonkee

Sarah H. Sanders Asked to Leave a Restaurant

3 minutes ago, THEUniversityofNevada said:

Forgot all about that.  But you're asking a lot if you want people to be consistent in their selective outrage over (insert random injustice here). 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

5 minutes ago, THEUniversityofNevada said:

Gee, I guess that makes it a good business decision.

...NOT.

11 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Forgot all about that.  But you're asking a lot if you want people to be consistent in their selective outrage over (insert random injustice here). 

Jon Stewart made an awfully tidy living pointing out selective outrage.

Just now, NVGiant said:

Selective outrage exists on both sides right now.  It's actually pathetic.

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

2 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

It's a little off topic, but I was watching some Trevor Noah with the wife last night and we talked about him following after Jon Stewart.

The general gist is that we thought he'd really grown into the role. He started a little shaky, and really, nobody can replace a legend like Jon Stewart, but that Noah really seems to have found a groove and seems very comfortable.

He doesn't do things the exact same way that Stewart did, but he doesn't really try either. He does his own thing and he does it well.

5 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Jon Stewart never should have left the Daily Show, or should have gotten a Cable Gig, like Oliver has.

He's not cut-out for the general-audience late-night TV circuit.

He was MUCH funnier before the new gig.

1 minute ago, Thomas said:

Jon Stewart never should have left the Daily Show, or should have gotten a Cable Gig, like Oliver has.

He's not cut-out for the general-audience late-night TV circuit.

He was MUCH funnier before the new gig.

What new gig?

3 minutes ago, nocoolnamejim said:

It's a little off topic, but I was watching some Trevor Noah with the wife last night and we talked about him following after Jon Stewart.

The general gist is that we thought he'd really grown into the role. He started a little shaky, and really, nobody can replace a legend like Jon Stewart, but that Noah really seems to have found a groove and seems very comfortable.

He doesn't do things the exact same way that Stewart did, but he doesn't really try either. He does his own thing and he does it well.

I've tuned out the Daily Show. I loved Jon Stewart and watched him religiously, and didn't mind Noah and like you started to see him grow in the role, but it is nearly impossible to do justice to the kind of absurdities we are seeing today. 

8 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Selective outrage exists on both sides right now.  It's actually pathetic.

Pathetic it is. That said, the hand-wringing from the Trump supporters is pretty funny. As I said in the other thread, buy a ticket to the circus expect to see some clowns.

6 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

What new gig?

He's creating some new Animated Politico-Satirical crap for HBO, but has since leaving the Daily Show popped up often as a Late Night TV Guest/Spot.

I'm not a huge Jon Stewart fan, but the Daily Show is never going to be the same without him; it's like the original SNL with the entire cast replaced all at once; awkward.

5 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Pathetic it is. That said, the hand-wringing from the Trump supporters is pretty funny. As I said in the other thread, buy a ticket to the circus expect to see some clowns.

Not as funny as the unhinged outrage from the castrated #Resist movement.170112_trumpwomenresistance.jpg?quality=

7 minutes ago, Thomas said:

He's creating some new Animated Politico-Satirical crap for HBO, but has since leaving the Daily Show popped up often as a Late Night TV Guest/Spot.

I'm not a huge Jon Stewart fan, but the Daily Show is never going to be the same without him; it's like the original SNL with the entire cast replaced all at once; awkward.

He was done with The Daily Show, and he was burned out by his own account. Respect a man who knows when to quit. He doesn't really have a new gig. He just does occasional guest spots for the many Daily Show alumni that have become stars and does a little standup here and there. I'm sure his HBO project will be enjoyed by his audience.

4 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Not as funny as the unhinged outrage from the castrated #Resist movement.170112_trumpwomenresistance.jpg?quality=

Nah. It's all funny. You're all the same. Just different sides to the same coin. And Trump is the orange head on that coin.

11 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

He was done with The Daily Show, and he was burned out by his own account. Respect a man who knows when to quit. He doesn't really have a new gig. He just does occasional guest spots for the many Daily Show alumni that have become stars and does a little standup here and there. I'm sure his HBO project will be enjoyed by his audience.

This bolded part in particular.

As much as I would have LOVED to have him commenting on events over the last two years, there are just so many stars that hold on to long and tarnish their legacy. If the guy had nothing left and was feeling exhausted and that it was time to hang it up, then I've got nothing to say but "thank you" for everything he gave before his retirement.

3 hours ago, mugtang said:

Not exactly analogous. The bakery owner didn't want to be photographed with Biden during a political stop. He didn't refuse service.

https://www.eveningsun.com/story/news/2018/06/27/joe-biden-not-refused-service-crumb-get-bakery-hanover-pa/738473002/

44 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

Not exactly analogous. The bakery owner didn't want to be photographed with Biden during a political stop. He didn't refuse service.

https://www.eveningsun.com/story/news/2018/06/27/joe-biden-not-refused-service-crumb-get-bakery-hanover-pa/738473002/

I don't think you read the story correctly. The story you just linked seems to be about a case of a mistaken identity. There was a baker hailed as a hero on the right for refusing service to Biden ... it just wasn't the particular baker being targeted by some Facebook dopes.

1 hour ago, NVGiant said:

I don't think you read the story correctly. The story you just linked seems to be about a case of a mistaken identity. There was a baker hailed as a hero on the right for refusing service to Biden ... it just wasn't the particular baker being targeted by some Facebook dopes.

You're right, that wasn't clear. Here's an excerpt from Snopes which quoted an article from Roanoke Times from 2012. I'm sure there are plenty of examples of rt wingers doing stupid things but this wasn't one of them.

McMurray said the exchange with the Biden advance team had taken place just after he opened the store at 10 a.m.

“They said, ‘This is a place that we’ve identified for Mr. Biden’s stop,’ and they asked permission, if that would be OK,” McMurray said. “After much thought, I respectively declined. The exchange was very kind. It wasn’t at all heated. It was not at all hoarse. Even when she departed, it wasn’t at all ill-mannered. They were very nice. I told her no offense to the vice president, and she received that. We just had a difference of opinion politically.”

[…]

We’re told that shortly after Crumb and Get It told Biden’s advance people ‘no’ — the secret service walked in and told Chris McMurray ”Thanks for standing up and saying ‘no’ — then they bought a whole bunch of cookies and cupcakes.

McMurray said he’s hoping folks will understand he just didn’t want to be part of a photo op for an administration whose policies he doesn’t agree with.