Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BSUTOP25

In the words of Yoda, "There is another."

12 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Bill Weld is as insane as anything else going on.

Poor George Will; he wants to return both parties to exactly what they were back in the 70s and 80s, and it's just never gonna happen.

Those days are long gone.

raf,750x1000,075,t,026541:3d4e1a7dce.u5.

5 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Bill Weld is as insane as anything else going on.

Poor George Will; he wants to return both parties to exactly what they were back in the 70s and 80s, and it's just never gonna happen.

Those days are long gone.

raf,750x1000,075,t,026541:3d4e1a7dce.u5.

So what’s your solution?

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

2 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

So what’s your solution?

I don't really have a solution.

Eventually, a viable third-party will emerge, and do what the Ross Perot "Reform" Party did in 1992, actually challenge the big 2 in elections.

Unfortunately, I can't see that happening until the coming generational-war.

Silents, Boomers and Gen X have been paying into Social Security/Medicare their whole lives, and the thing is going to go kaput from lack of new tax revenues.

The fight over increasing those taxes to pay the benefits owed is going to start heating up in the next few years, and will eventually cause a "younger" Millennial/GenY/Z or "Older" party to split off from the big 2, and advocate for their side in the matter.

If I was a Millennial or Gen Yer, I would be pissed about having to pay higher taxes for this stuff into a black hole, knowing that I might never see any return on that investment, yet the older folks are owed their benefits from what they've been putting in their whole careers.  The thing has been kicked down the road for 40 years now (We've KNOWN, Congress has always punted), and it will make this Immigration argument look like the tiniest, least significant political fight America has ever had.

Imagine FICA/Medicare taxes for Employees at a total of 15% or higher; that's what will have to happen to keep the fund healthy for the next 25-30 years. Fight Coming.

I figure the fight over this one issue will cause huge change in the parties, and birth a new one.

Hate to see generational warfare, but this is the mess past governments have paid-forward for us to suffer with.

Just now, Thomas said:

Eventually, a viable third-party will emerge, and do what the Ross Perot "Reform" Party did in 1992, actually challenge the big 2 in elections.

Silents, Boomers and Gen X have been paying into Social Security/Medicare their whole lives, and the thing is going to go kaput from lack of new tax revenues.

The fight over increasing those taxes to pay the benefits owed is going to start heating up in the next few years, and will eventually cause a "younger" Millennial/GenY/Z or "Older" party to split off from the big 2, and advocate for their side in the matter.

If I was a Millennial or Gen Yer, I would be pissed about having to pay higher taxes for this stuff into a black hole, knowing that I might never see any return on that investment, yet the older folks are owed their benefits from what they've been putting in their whole careers.  The thing has been kicked down the road for 40 years now (We've KNOWN, Congress has always punted), and it will make this Immigration argument look like the tiniest, least significant political fight America has ever had.

Imagine FICA/Medicare taxes for Employees at a total of 15% or higher; that's what will have to happen to keep the fund healthy for the next 25-30 years. Fight Coming.

I figure the fight over this one issue will cause huge change in the parties, and birth a new one.

Hate to see generational warfare, but this is the mess past governments have paid-forward for us to suffer with.

Fine and dandy. But in the meanwhile, there’s an election coming up in 2020. For me, I’m going to vote for the candidate who will fight the most for individual liberty and limited responsible government. I can go ahead and tell you right now that isn’t Donald Trump or whoever the Democrats put up against him. My vote will more than likely go to the Libertarian Party candidate.

1 minute ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Fine and dandy. But in the meanwhile, there’s an election coming up in 2020. For me, I’m going to vote for the candidate who will fight the most for individual liberty and limited responsible government. I can go ahead and tell you right now that isn’t Donald Trump or whoever the Democrats put up against him. My vote will more than likely go to the Libertarian Party candidate.

I voted for Gary Johnson in 2012.

Gary got WAYYY too insane in 2016, and couldn't answer any basic foreign policy questions. I know Libertarians are non-interventionist, but foreign policy principally falls on the POTUS, and we have to have one who actually wants to deal with the issues that come up.  So Gary wasn't my choice this past election.

Just now, Thomas said:

Gary got WAYYY too insane in 2016, and couldn't answer any basic foreign policy questions. I know Libertarians are non-interventionist, but foreign policy principally falls on the POTUS, and we have to have one who actually wants to deal with the issues that come up.  So Gary wasn't my choice this past election.

I will agree that Gary Johnson went off the rails in 2016. I seriously think he had some mental/emotional issues going on because he was certainly not the same guy he was earlier in his career.

That said, people often confuse non-intervention with pacifism. I’m a Libertarian who believes in maintaining a robust military with a strong nuclear defense shield. But like other Libertarians, I don’t believe the United States needs to be involved in or financing every conflict around the globe.

5 hours ago, Thomas said:

Interesting post.

6 hours ago, Thomas said:

This is why I couldn’t vote for Johnson.  I tend to disagree with the Libertarian platform on foreign policy though - I just feel it goes way too far in the non-interventionist direction though I agree that the US is way too involved currently.  Johnson just went bonkers all around though.... came across as a crazy man.  Hoping for better in 2020.

v0icAvfW.jpg

6 hours ago, Thomas said:

Not to mention that boomers/silent generationers paid in far less in FICA than we are and are expecting more benefits. "not welfare" my ass. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

George Will's been moving to a libertarian direction for a while now... not sure how that's trying to get the party back to the years of Nixon and Regan. I don't know much about Bill Weld at this point, but it will be interesting if he can be a voice for ideas that the majority of people in this country find to be reasonable.

The LP's biggest issue seems to be its inability to get out of its own way and deal with its own internal contradictions. We'll see what happens, but I hope Bill Weld or whomever picks up the party's torch makes some waves. Only good things can come of it.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

9 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

It's what I find myself often doing

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

4 minutes ago, Boise fan said:

Hmm.  I've seen this before somewhere....where? :hmmm:

Oh yeah:

there-is-another-libertarian-gary-johnso

:lol:

Who are your boys at the CPUSA nominating?