Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

McCoy goes undrafted

3 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

No, and WTF do they have to do with this?

I’m sorry, but the point I was making is that the Martin twins did what you said and transferred, got quality coaching (no?) for two years, and still would probably not have been drafted. Transferring would not have helped McCoy. 

8 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

I’m sorry, but the point I was making is that the Martin twins did what you said and transferred, got quality coaching (no?) for two years, and still would probably not have been drafted. Transferring would not have helped McCoy. 

While I don't know the circumstances as to why the Martins left NC State, I also don't doubt that transferring to Nevada helped their pro prospects.  Muss knows a thing or two about what cuts it in the NBA.

As far as whether or not McCoy transferring would have helped him, it depends on where he would have ended up.  Maybe a different coach would have been more effective in encouraging him to consistently play defense?  

With McCoy, I think a decent part of his problem was that he didn’t know how to play hard without fouling.  Also, I think he knew that Dembele is a substantial drop off, and he wanted to stay on the floor as long as possible.

21 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Yeah, like ignoring defense in order to keep his legs fresh for the other end of the court. Doug Moe would have loved him.

Muss runs a boot camp (not as bad as it sounds).  The guys run the mountains around Tahoe in the summer.  He wants them to be the best in shape on the floor.  Guess that's why Nevada called the least time outs of any school?  McCoy might have benefited greatly from that approach. 

11 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

The Martin twins aren't 7'1" guys who were projected lotto picks coming out of high school.

McCoy didn't improve at all. Maybe a different coach could motivate him or at least convince him that he needs more time to develop.

Regardless, McCoy has made a series of bad decisions.  Clearly, there's a problem there.

He's still a young, 7 footer with talent and a NBA body.  He still has a chance. Lots of NBA guys have spent time in the G league and/or overseas.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

32 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

The Martin twins aren't 7'1" guys who were projected lotto picks coming out of high school.

McCoy didn't improve at all. Maybe a different coach could motivate him or at least convince him that he needs more time to develop.

Regardless, McCoy has made a series of bad decisions.  Clearly, there's a problem there.

He's still a young, 7 footer with talent and a NBA body.  He still has a chance. Lots of NBA guys have spent time in the G league and/or overseas.

What was "bad" about any of his decisions?

The G league is definitely a better option for him than UNLV or any other college. Plus, he'll be getting paid. 

Do you enjoy trolling the Rebels?   #metoo

36 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I think you missed my entire point, which was that sometimes it didn’t matter how good the coach is. If the kid doesn’t make up his mind he wants to do it, there is no coach in the world that can change that. Now, as I have said before, McCoy seemed to turn a corner the last two weeks of the season, maybe another year would have helped, maybe not. But he had to make up his mind first, regardless of who the coach is. 

8 minutes ago, renoskier said:

The G league is definitely a better option for him than UNLV or any other college. Plus, he'll be getting paid. 

It’s his favorite past time, lol. And since it’s the off season, what else have we got to do?

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

Bad decisions?

Declaring yourself a one and done guy and then sign with a program that gets minimal national exposure and has zero chance to make a run in March.

Despite having your multiple weaknesses exposed by guys who will be selling insurance after college, you still decide to go pro.

You then hire an agent, thereby unnecessarily removing any possibility of returning to Vegas or transferring.

IMO, with the right guideance, advice and coaching, that kid could have been a first rd pick and a multi-millionaire before he was old enough to buy a beer.

Do you think he might be wishing he thought things out a bit more thoroughly?

As far as trolling rebels, is it really trolling when everything you say is true?

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

He either lacked any self awareness and thought he would be drafted, or he has a ton of self awareness and realized he probably wouldn’t be a first round pick no matter how long he stayed in school and would rather get the rest of his life started. 

The guy who has been calling the shots for Brandon McCoy's career since 8th grade is Shaun Manning, who has been his guardian and AAU coach since his mother sent him to San Diego for 8th through 12th grade.  Manning brought McCoy to UNLV as a one-and-done talent, and has said that all scenarios for one-and-dones are good, even not getting drafted because that lets you pick a team to sign with that best fits.

Manning is a small time Lorenzo Ball wannabe.  He also had coached Anthony Smith, who also joined UNLV but was kicked off the team mid-season.  Manning's most noteworthy appearance was during the MWC tournament, when he slipped down to the broadcast area and confronted Doug Gottlieb for making a lot of negative comments about McCoy's low motor, lack of athleticism, disinterest in defense, and that if he came out this year he would go directly to the G-League.

I saw some comments the other day by a SDSU fan who sat near Manning at the UNLV @ SDSU game last winter... he said Manning kept mentioning how he chose UNLV for Brandon over SDSU because the SDSU staff didn't see McCoy as a one-and-done talent and wouldn't plan to feature him as such.

McCoy seemed like one of those kids who had no interest in basketball but ended up getting pushed into it because he was taller than all the teachers by the time he was in middle school.  He seemed interested in classes and sounded like he would rather be in the band than on the basketball team.  He was nowhere near as NBA-ready as an athlete as Christian Wood or Stephen Zimmerman.

Steve CofieldVerified account @stevecofield Mar 7

Come on #redcoats you can't let some fan at #MWMadness come down to harass Doug Gottlieb over his Brandon McCoy analysis.DXuQdcHVoAAsat0.jpg