Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

McCoy goes undrafted

That’s not good for Menzie’s recruiting. Failing to get a 5 star recruit into the draft is a bad look.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

20 minutes ago, Jersey Rebels said:

Dave Rice would have gotten him picked first overall. :mellow:

There are a lot of things Dave Rice does better than Menzies.

But we have already hashed that all out countless times.  Go in peace rebel fans.  

9 minutes ago, Spot50B said:

A player did not develop or learn discipline and none of that is on the coach?

When you see Menzies history of developing bigs, yes none of this is on him. He is a frustrating player.

I'm pretty surprised he didn't get taken somewhere in the second round...the defensive deficiencies were apparently too much to overcome though. That kid would have hugely benefitted from another year in school, IMO. Wherever he ends up next season, he'll likely be making a hell of a lot more money than the average college sophomore, but it's also probably going to be a long and arduous road or him to ever get to the NBA now.

7 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Who the hell was advising him to declare?

If he wasn't going to stay at Vegas he should have transferred.

Vegas/UNLV wasn't the problem, from day 1 he had his mind made up that he was going to declare. I'm sure there were people with $$$ in their eyes pushing him to do that, but it was certainly some bad advice.

32 minutes ago, BacksThePack said:

Maybe he flunked out spring semester?

Honor roll student, academics wasn't the issue. His mom would make sure of that, lol.

and he has signed with Milwaukee. I think in the last two weeks of the season a light went on about playing defense, I saw much more of an effort at that time. Maybe with another year he might have figured it out, but it's too late now.

8 hours ago, mugtang said:

That’s not good for Menzie’s recruiting. Failing to get a 5 star recruit into the draft is a bad look.  

Not as bad a look as this:

IMG_0201.JPG.73fc1a0bdfe5c1a42a65667439ddfb19.JPG

9 hours ago, mundyc3 said:

When you see Menzies history of developing bigs, yes none of this is on him. He is a frustrating player.

Development at UNLV has been a problem under Menzies. Haven’t really seen him develop anyone. 

He was born ten years too late.  He has an old school game, and there’s not much of a place for that today.  He also has poor foot speed, which makes it hard for him to guard the pick and roll.  Mbacke Diong is going to have a better NBA career than him, and I’ve been saying that for a while now.

This should tell you all you need to know why he wasn't drafted:

"UNLV struggled defensively with McCoy on the floor in 2017-18, and he did not display much of an outside shot during the season, attempting just nine 3-pointers and making three."

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2018/jun/21/former-runnin-rebel-brandon-mccoy-goes-undrafted/

He had a few good games at UNLV but, he needs a lot of work.