Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RiverCityBronco

Supreme Court: States may tax online retailers

On 6/21/2018 at 10:46 AM, pokerider said:

It's more fair to the states and to local businesses. However it is quite a major burden for a small business to have to pay state taxes to 50 states.  They have to make it a State thing and not a local gov't, because there is no way a small business can maintain that.   
Congress should set some rules and limits.  A small company in Georgia that sells a box of beads to someone in Colorado and totals $1200 sales to the state shouldn't be burdened with a sales tax vs a company that sells $12M.  

It is far more complex than simply 50 state's sales taxes.  There are added county sales taxes, municipal sales taxes, special district taxes, etc.  And then many of those sales taxes expire at varying times and are added at varying times.  It's important for all of these retailers to have the most current sales tax schedule.  I'm sure they change monthly, if not more often.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

On 6/21/2018 at 10:45 AM, Old_SD_Dude said:

I agree. Although ironically this will lead me to buy more stuff I use for hobbies from the UK as they don’t charge me VAT for web sales. 

I'm pretty sure excise tax applies and that is on your to declare.  :Clapping:

32 minutes ago, pokebball said:

I'm pretty sure excise tax applies and that is on your to declare.  :Clapping:

Maybe so. I just know when I buy stuff from over there I’m charged 17% below list price. It doesn’t amount to more than a few hundred $$ a year in total purchases so I’m not gonna worry about it. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

On 6/21/2018 at 11:41 AM, Boise fan said:

That sounds ridiculous.  If I visit Washington and buy something there, I'm not charged my state's sales tax rate. 

Yes you are, in the case of high value items like vehicles. Also, you're thinking of Oregon, not Washington. 

It can't be that silly can it?  It should be the retailer's location.  That would determine the tax rate.

Why? The sales tax is paid by the purchaser to fund the infrastructure in the purchaser's community

Sales tax governs in state sales.  The states with the most sales wouldn't receive any revenue.

That... is not true. 

Or is it double taxing?  Buyer and seller are taxed?  That would be freaking insane! 

It's closing a tax loophole. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

On 6/21/2018 at 11:49 AM, Boise fan said:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/us-supreme-court-rules-states-can-require-online-merchants-to-collect-sales-taxes-1529591376

"“Every state loves this tax because you get to tax people who can’t vote for you,” Mr. Wenig said. “You get to tax businesses that aren’t in your jurisdiction, so this is the favorite tax of every state legislature.”"

I think you're correct, @renoskier

Muthaphuckers!  Sneaky farging bastages! 

I'm never buying anything in/from South Dakota.  They can twist in the wind!  Friggin Republican too! 

@renoskier

The resident of the state is paying the tax, not the online retailer.  The online retailer is now required to collect and remit it to the state of the purchaser/resident.

On 6/21/2018 at 9:46 AM, pokerider said:

It's more fair to the states and to local businesses. However it is quite a major burden for a small business to have to pay state taxes to 50 states.  They have to make it a State thing and not a local gov't, because there is no way a small business can maintain that.   
Congress should set some rules and limits.  A small company in Georgia that sells a box of beads to someone in Colorado and totals $1200 sales to the state shouldn't be burdened with a sales tax vs a company that sells $12M.  

I disagree, most of these people and small companies are selling on eBay or Amazon platforms. If these platforms want to keep those vendors, it would be relatively simple for those platforms to collect and remit the taxes for the vendor.

110926run_defense710.jpg

President Trump says this is a good thing:

President Donald Trump says the Supreme Court decision in Wayfair vs. South Dakota is a "great victory for consumers and retailers."

https://amp.businessinsider.com/supreme-court-wayfair-internet-sales-tax-decision-good-for-consumers-2018-6#amp_tf=From %1%24s

110926run_defense710.jpg