Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada Convert

“Country Headed in Right Direction” Poll Reaches 12 Year High, Better Than Obama

https://news.gallup.com/poll/235739/satisfaction-direction-reaches-year-high.aspx

This is pretty amazing, especially with the unrelenting pounding the media’s had on Trump from day 1. The Dems won’t learn anything from the 2016 election and they won’t learn anything with this kind of data. They’ll just double down on the attacks and be devastated again when Trump’s re-elected. 

kat.jpg

Things were DEFINITELY headed in the right direction in 2005.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

By in large, it looks like the Democrats are going to center their campaign message on running against Trump. We'll find out whether or not that's going to propel them to take over the House and Senate or if it will bury them. The message will play well in dark blue states of course but will it play in the toss up states such as Florida, Nevada, and Pennsylvania? As of today, I don't think the Democrats can win the Senate but the House is the race to watch as there are 32 toss ups and they've been leading in the polls: 

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2018/house/2018_elections_house_map.html 

The Democrats need to pick up 21 seats to take control of the House.  

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

28 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Things were DEFINITELY headed in the right direction in 2005.

/thread

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

17 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

By in large, it looks like the Democrats are going to center their campaign message on running against Trump. We'll find out whether or not that's going to propel them to take over the House and Senate or if it will bury them. The message will play well in dark blue states of course but will it play in the toss up states such as Florida, Nevada, and Pennsylvania? As of today, I don't think the Democrats can win the Senate but the House is the race to watch as there are 32 toss ups and they've been leading in the polls: 

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2018/house/2018_elections_house_map.html 

The Democrats need to pick up 21 seats to take control of the House.  

I was shocked how many moderate Dems won in the primaries. For years I have been expecting a left-wing populist wave to match the GOP's dive into right-wing populism. But it hasn't yet quite come to fruition. Nevada is a good example. Steve Sisolak beat Giunchigliani in the primary for Gov. while Laxalt represents a rightward shift in the GOP from Sandoval.

I think it would be a mistake to go all-in on an anti-Trump campaign. With every "+++++ Trump" diatribe I cringe. I don't think you can beat Trump by being like Trump. 

The thing is though, I'm not sure going head-first into populism isn't the way to win back power for the Dems. I hope I am wrong, but I think if the moderates fail in 2018, 2020 is going to be one big populism hoe-down, and it'll be time for me to make good on my promise to move to New Zealand.

3 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

I was shocked how many moderate Dems won in the primaries. For years I have been expecting a left-wing populist wave to match the GOP's dive into right-wing populism. But it hasn't yet quite come to fruition. Nevada is a good example. Steve Sisolak beat Giunchigliani in the primary for Gov. while Laxalt represents a rightward shift in the GOP from Sandoval.

I think it would be a mistake to go all-in on an anti-Trump campaign. With every "+++++ Trump" diatribe I cringe. I don't think you can beat Trump by being like Trump. 

The thing is though, I'm not sure going head-first into populism isn't the way to win back power for the Dems. I hope I am wrong, but I think if the moderates fail in 2018, 2020 is going to be one big populism hoe-down, and it'll be time for me to make good on my promise to move to New Zealand.

Fvcking populism. it's one thing to be innovative and open to change but populism is usually based on fear. It's rampant on the right, not just in the US but also in Europe. Italy and Hungary are leading the way and Germany is starting to float in that direction. 

8 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Fvcking populism. it's one thing to be innovative and open to change but populism is usually based on fear. It's rampant on the right, not just in the US but also in Europe. Italy and Hungary are leading the way and Germany is starting to float in that direction. 

Is it fear or misplaced anger? Or both?

13 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Is it fear or misplaced anger? Or both?

What do your Rassmussen Polls say?

It’s hard to argue the economy isn’t better. Is the country better? That’s a pretty subjective question. I’m sure if your Hispanic or African American you’re not jazzed about the new America... although it could be worse. You could feel marginalized and be out of work too. 

I’m trying to figure out what the Democrats are trying to sell other than restore taxes and impeach Trump. Neither is going to get it. They don’t seem to understand they need an agenda that will improve American lives. Allowing thousands of illegal immigrants across the border doesn’t do that. 

Just now, soupslam1 said:

I’m trying to figure out what the Democrats are trying to sell other than restore taxes and impeach Trump. Neither is going to get it. They don’t seem to understand they need an agenda that will improve American lives. Allowing thousands of illegal immigrants across the border doesn’t do that. 

"Remove obamacare" and "obstruct obama" worked great for republicans. 

They don't seem to understand their own optics at all. The democrats are at least consistent in allowing the other side to define their policies and set the initiative. It's baffling. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

3 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

In Colorado, there are two major races (Governor and a House seat) and pretty much every Democrat is making gun control one of their main issues. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out because it's a pretty sensitive topic in Colorado, considering we're the OG's of children getting mass-murdered. 

1 hour ago, NVGiant said:

In the recent NV primary....the Bernie Sanders "berniecrats" all got crushed - not a one came close 

If non-partisans take the moderate road this November it could be a rough election for NV Goper's - Laxalt is literally the 2nd coming of Jim Gibbons in the Governor's race. 

56 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

1 hour ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Right-wing populism is usually more appealing in places where people have a relatively decent amount to lose than left-wing populism, IMO. Right-wing populism usually attempts to recapture something that is supposedly lost or in the process of being lost, whereas left-wing populism usually seeks fundamental change in a new direction. When you have a lot of people with something to lose, they're less likely to embrace fundamental change than they are to embrace a message that suggests they're losing that thing. It's an irony in Trump's right-wing populism, which suggests America is going in such an awful direction and only he can make it great again — it works because things aren't that bad.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

58 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

It’s hard to argue the economy isn’t better. Is the country better? That’s a pretty subjective question. I’m sure if your Hispanic or African American you’re not jazzed about the new America... although it could be worse. You could feel marginalized and be out of work too. 

Well, you could always start with the ALL TIME record low unemployment #’s for Hispanics and Blacks. I’m sure the tax cut gave them some extra dough, etc. 

3, 2, 1.....A lefty will post stats about how the tax cut gave the rich and corps more of a tax break than minority’s. 🙂

kat.jpg

3 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

https://news.gallup.com/poll/235739/satisfaction-direction-reaches-year-high.aspx

This is pretty amazing, especially with the unrelenting pounding the media’s had on Trump from day 1. The Dems won’t learn anything from the 2016 election and they won’t learn anything with this kind of data. They’ll just double down on the attacks and be devastated again when Trump’s re-elected. 

Meh.  It goes in cycles.  Reagan (2 terms), Bush (1 term), Clinton (2 terms), Dubya (2 terms), Obama (2 terms).  The only lesson to learn is the country is evenly divided and presidents can be elected on razor thin margins in swing states.  Whatever side wins the latest election will claim the other side didn't learn anything. As the world turns...

1 hour ago, Nevada Convert said:

Well, you could always start with the ALL TIME record low unemployment #’s for Hispanics and Blacks. I’m sure the tax cut gave them some extra dough, etc. 

3, 2, 1.....A lefty will post stats about how the tax cut gave the rich and corps more of a tax break than minority’s. 🙂

Isn’t that what I said? 

1 hour ago, NevadaFan said:

Isn’t that what I said? 

Not really. We’ve had plenty of “good” or “improved” economies in the past where Blacks and Latinos weren’t exactly feeling any of the “good”. So blanket statements about the economy being good aren’t specific enough to tell who the winners are, and if there’s any losers.

Also this really isn’t a new America. Trumps policies are mostly borrowed from past presidents such as Reagan who had good luck with certain policies. That doesn’t mean to bring back the bad from the past, either. Reagan’s biggest shortcoming was being able to connect with blacks. He was the master communicator for most, but there was just a disconnect there with blacks. When Reagan slaughtered Mondale winning 49 states, he still had almost none of the black vote about 5% IIRC. Trump’s been as high as 20% IIRC.

kat.jpg