Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LaradiseCowboy

NY6 predictions by CBS Sports

1 hour ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

if boise wins at oklahoma state you can pencil them in for the playoff even if they drop a game to SDSU or Fresno along the way.  the Cowboys are basically a lock to win 9 regular season games and be in the top 25 come bowl season and none of the other teams will have a victory of that caliber to match - UCF has a UNC team that's finished in the top 25 once in the last 5 years, FAU isn't beating oklahoma on the road, and no other G5 team not named here has a legitimate shot at a win of that level - i don't see SDSU coming away with a road win at stanford sans Penny, Fresno may beat UCLA but they won't be a top-25 team, and Toledo is going to get mudholed at home by Miami.

I fear the Aztecs are going to get clobbered at Stanford. Last year wasn't just Penny, it was our physicality in general. I don't think they were prepared for a Molehill Worst team to be as physical as they were but this year will definitely be different. Also, Stanford's staff made a mistake in naming Chryst their starting QB and he was lousy against us. This year we'll face Costello and that will make a big difference too. Therefore, at this point in time, I see Stanford beating us by at least three TDs. (We're going to defeat ASU and their new alleged Aztec for Life coach again, however.)

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, pesik said:

i dont think thats houston....the problem at houston wasnt talent..its was the offensive scheme...hermans offense was bad, even the year we went to the NY6. greg wards legs and making up plays as he went, made up for that awful offense, which is why houston regressed his senior year, when they tried to make him a passer and run less 

houston was deep in talent last year, houston will be even more deeper this year 

texas is the prefect example, in 2017 texas had one of the most elite running games in the nation, 100% of their Oline returned and 1st year under herman they instantly turned into one of the worst running teams in the nation...their oline made up of mostly five stars didnt instantly tuned bad in 1 offseason with 100% returnig

now look at all of houstons losses, they all tell them same story (including fresno) houston completely dominates on defense for most of the game, get tired in the end from constant 3 and outs (no rest) and demoralization (turnovers and bad field positions) an start giving up points..... any life from the offense and its a different story.

thats why it was such a big deal when applewhite abandoned the herman offense and decided to switch to the baylor offense ..your assumption is houston is running low on talent, i bet there have been few g5 teams who have more 4/5star on their roster than houston will next season

--- and this has nothing to do with this convo but a other one you were having, but rudolf and washington graduated at okstate , they are projected a 7/8 win team...mizzou w/drew lock (plays memphis), & arizona w/ khalil tate (plays houston are definitely projected better

order of answers chosen at random

1. drew lock is blaine gabbert redux. he sucks.     Arizona plays in a stacked Pac 12 and Kevin Sumlin doesn't have the elite talent to work with he did at a&m (and he couldn't even do anything with that, too).

2.  I am done underestimating mike gundy.  He's a wizard.   He does more while being little brother in that state than anyone i've ever seen.

3. Not that i put a ton of stock in star ratings but you're wildly exaggerating houston's on-paper recruiting. In 2017 Houston had two former 247 composite 5 stars (Kyle allen sitting out, Ed Oliver) and three former four stars (Catalon (texas transfer), Lark, and Rodgers).    That's on the upper end of G5 teams but not by much....UCF had 1 5* and 4 4*,  Boise had 3 4*, Marshall had 4 4*, Fresno had 2 4* and SDSU had 1.   and frankly the eye test reflected that....houston's players weren't any bigger, stronger, or faster than their FS counterparts from what i saw. 

4.  You are wildly exaggerating the success Houston had on defense as well.  Both teams traded punts during most of the first quarter, with houston managing a TD off of a flea flicker.   Fresno State did not punt again beginning with the final drive of the first quarter (Houston's uptick in offense from that point onward is literally solely attributable to Fresno's #2 CB Tank kelly breaking his arm, allowing Dunbar to play against an injured backup)- the drives from that point onward were as follows:
68 yards (TD) 
60 yards (FG). 
41 yards (Missed FG)
50 yards (FG to end the half)
23 yards (Fumble in houston territory)
75 yards (TD)
4 yards (TD off of Houston fumble)
81 yards (Field goal) 
66 yards (Field goal that should have been a TD due to egregious officiating and replay mixup when Tedford tried to call timeout to allow a booth review)
Returned houston interception for TD
-7 yards kneeldown to end game.

9 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

I fear the Aztecs are going to get clobbered at Stanford. Last year wasn't just Penny, it was our physicality in general. I don't think they were prepared for a Molehill Worst team to be as physical as they were but this year will definitely be different. Also, Stanford's staff made a mistake in naming Chryst their starting QB and he was lousy against us. This year we'll face Costello and that will make a big difference too. Therefore, at this point in time, I see Stanford beating us by at least three TDs. (We're going to defeat ASU and their new alleged Aztec for Life coach again, however.)

I wouldn't say three TDs myself but yeah last year felt like literally everything fell into place for the aztecs to gut out a win over stanford and i really doubt it happens again.

7 minutes ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

I wouldn't say three TDs myself but yeah last year felt like literally everything fell into place for the aztecs to gut out a win over stanford and i really doubt it happens again.

One factor which I expect to be in our favor will be this. Until Stanford played at Qualcomm last year, Bryce Love was a virtual unknown. Then he burned us by turning the corner for two long TD runs and finished the game with almost 200 yards and then almost winning the Heisman. This year it's very doubtful we'll be so lenient in letting him get outside.

Boom goes the dynamite.

7 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

One factor which I expect to be in our favor will be this. Until Stanford played at Qualcomm last year, Bryce Love was a virtual unknown. Then he burned us by turning the corner for two long TD runs and finished the game with almost 200 yards and then almost winning the Heisman. This year it's very doubtful we'll be so lenient in letting him get outside.

doubt that'll be enough but good point

34 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Beating Stanford on the farm is a tall order without Penny. That being said just about every other position group will be the same or better. I think its more of a field goal to 10 points type loss. Biggest thing in our favor is that it's the opener. 

5 hours ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

order of answers chosen at random

1. drew lock is blaine gabbert redux. he sucks.     Arizona plays in a stacked Pac 12 and Kevin Sumlin doesn't have the elite talent to work with he did at a&m (and he couldn't even do anything with that, too).

2.  I am done underestimating mike gundy.  He's a wizard.   He does more while being little brother in that state than anyone i've ever seen.

3. Not that i put a ton of stock in star ratings but you're wildly exaggerating houston's on-paper recruiting. In 2017 Houston had two former 247 composite 5 stars (Kyle allen sitting out, Ed Oliver) and three former four stars (Catalon (texas transfer), Lark, and Rodgers).    That's on the upper end of G5 teams but not by much....UCF had 1 5* and 4 4*,  Boise had 3 4*, Marshall had 4 4*, Fresno had 2 4* and SDSU had 1.   and frankly the eye test reflected that....houston's players weren't any bigger, stronger, or faster than their FS counterparts from what i saw. 

4.  You are wildly exaggerating the success Houston had on defense as well.  Both teams traded punts during most of the first quarter, with houston managing a TD off of a flea flicker.   Fresno State did not punt again beginning with the final drive of the first quarter (Houston's uptick in offense from that point onward is literally solely attributable to Fresno's #2 CB Tank kelly breaking his arm, allowing Dunbar to play against an injured backup)- the drives from that point onward were as follows:
68 yards (TD) 
60 yards (FG). 
41 yards (Missed FG)
50 yards (FG to end the half)
23 yards (Fumble in houston territory)
75 yards (TD)
4 yards (TD off of Houston fumble)
81 yards (Field goal) 
66 yards (Field goal that should have been a TD due to egregious officiating and replay mixup when Tedford tried to call timeout to allow a booth review)
Returned houston interception for TD
-7 yards kneeldown to end game.

khalil tate is projected the best qb in the pac 12...drew lock is projected the best qb in the sec, and viewed as the early top qb for next years draft...arizona is projected in the 8-10 win range...and mizzou is projected top 30...but we'll see no point in debating projections ....

3) i said houston would have a ton of 4star next season not last season..first off you are missing qb king from last year who was a espn 300 4star..and like i noted earlier houston had an infusion of 8 transfers in the last 3 months, why most magazine wouldnt be accurate about houston

a) 4star DE Isaiah chambers, original signed to tcu from houston, his guardian got really sick as a freshmen, so he immediately transferred back to houston.. lead the team in sacks in the spring game 

b) 4star RB terence williams , baylor- injured last year but a 1000yd rusher the season before

c) 4star safety deontay anderson, #1 safety recruit of 2016, transfer from ole miss because of scandal, got waiver eligibility, started games for ole miss as  true freshmen (only season before transferring) 

d) 4star cb nick watkins- started 9 games for ND last season

e) 4star LB darrion owens- 40tackles last year at miami

f) 4star qb quinton dormady- started 5 games for Tennessee last year (most still expect king to start)

- note not a 4star raelon singleton from utah also transfered to houston (was utah's 2nd leading receiver), and an incoming freshmen rb was a high 4star on scout before the site went defunct

4) you didnt get a single 1st down till the very end of the 1st quarter 4 drives later..saying we traded punts, is trying to downplay it...i already acknowledged houstons offense was inept, so you saying "we did the same" isnt a point against our defense runing things...your sole td in the first half had negative rushing yards, the only reason you were able to score is a PI that put the ball on the 1 (both the DB and wr feet tripped each other by accident and both fell) and then it took you multiple tries to get in...you didnt score another TD till 3 mins left in the 3rd ... a note from statisticians: never trust data that doesnt start at zero..you started showing data when you thought you could start making it look good ..

you said to rewatch the game, anyone who saw that game would know houston defense dominated for most the game...but like every other game we played this year we lost, after a while the offense puts the defense is a position to get worn out

you dont want to admit your own bias, but earlier you said fresno should have won by 33-13, saying houston got a trick play and the punt return td...ignoring that fresno tried WAY more trick plays than houston in that game.. and 1 of your tds was because 2 kick returns ran into each other on our 4yd line...a trick play isnt luck, blocked punt isnt luck...having two kick returners accidentally run into each other in a kick return and one of your guys just being there is luck..not even adding one of your tds was a pick 6 out of desperation late in the game (only scored 19 legitimate offensive points)  

you also weren't controlling it the whole game...late in the second half houston decided not to go for a 40yd fg (comfortable range for our kicker) to go for it on 4th down that failed...houston would have had a lead into half have they just taken the field goal..houston also forced a fumble in the early 3rd, that could have given us the lead...and it was 26-20 for fresno, houston with ball with 6mins to go in the 4th, and houston movingthe ball...it wasnt a game till the pick 6....

you seem to notice only the beneficial things for fresno, in bulldog colored glasses 

3 minutes ago, pesik said:

khalil tate is projected the best qb in the pac 12...drew lock is projected the best qb in the sec, and viewed as the early top qb for next years draft...arizona is projected in the 8-10 win range...and mizzou is projected top 30...but we'll see no point in debating projections ....

3) i said houston would have a ton of 4star next season not last season..first off you are missing qb king from last year who was a espn 300 4star..and like i noted earlier houston had an infusion of 8 transfers in the last 3 months, why most magazine wouldnt be accurate about houston

a) 4star DE Isaiah chambers, original signed to tcu from houston, his guardian got really sick as a freshmen, so he immediately transferred back to houston.. lead the team in sacks in the spring game 

b) 4star RB terence williams , baylor- injured last year but a 1000yd rusher the season before

c) 4star safety deontay anderson, #1 safety recruit of 2016, transfer from ole miss because of scandal, got waiver eligibility, started games for ole miss as  true freshmen (only season before transferring) 

d) 4star cb nick watkins- started 9 games for ND last season

e) 4star LB darrion owens- 40tackles last year at miami

f) 4star qb quinton dormady- started 5 games for Tennessee last year (most still expect king to start)

- note not a 4star raelon singleton from utah also transfered to houston (was utah's 2nd leading receiver), and an incoming freshmen rb was a high 4star on scout before the site went defunct

4) you didnt get a single 1st down till the very end of the 1st quarter 4 drives later..saying we traded punts, is trying to downplay it...i already acknowledged houstons offense was inept, so you saying "we did the same" isnt a point against our defense runing things...your sole td in the first half had negative rushing yards, the only reason you were able to score is a PI that put the ball on the 1 (both the DB and wr feet tripped each other by accident and both fell) and then it took you multiple tries to get in...you didnt score another TD till 3 miss left in the 3rd ... a note from statisticians: never trust data that doesnt start at zero..you started showing data when it started looking good ..

you said to rewatch the game, anyone who saw that game would know houston defense dominated for most the game...but like every other game we played this year we lost, after a while the offense puts the defense is a position to get worn out

you dont want to admit your own bias, but earlier you said sdsu should have won by 33-13, saying houston got a trick play and the punt return td...ignoring that sdsu tried WAY more trick plays than houston in that game.. and 1 of your tds was because 2 kick returns ran into each other on our 4yd line...a trick play isnt luck, blocked punt isnt luck...having to kick returners accidentally run into each other in a kick return and your guys just being there is luck..not even adding one of your tds was a pick 6 out of desperation late in the game 

you also weren't controlling it the whole game...late in the second half houston decided not to go for a 40yd fg (comfortable range for our kicker) to go for it on 4th down that failed...houston would have had a lead into half have they just taken the field goal..houston also forced a fumble in the early 3rd, that could have given us the lead...and it was 26-20 houston with ball with 6mins to go in the 4th...it wasnt a game till the pick 6....

you seem to notice only the beneficial things for fresno, in bulldog colored glasses 

you seem to be under the impression that not giving up ten yards per play on defense is a dominant performance.  

2 minutes ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

bro you can't even remember the team you played in the bowl game why am i talkin to you

i literally fixed that a min after i posted it, aswell as a few other typos..Houston played sdsu the bowl 2 seasons ago

11 minutes ago, pesik said:

i literally fixed that a min after i posted it, aswell as a few other typos..Houston played sdsu the bowl 2 seasons ago

you seem to be equating "not embarrassingly bad" with "dominant" and i'm not sure why.    Your excuse for Houston giving up any points at all is that they got tired from being on the field all the time but until fresno state's first touchdown drive the houston defense wasn't on the field for more than three plays at a time.   

Your staff came with a good initial gameplan on defense and then proceeded to get thoroughly outcoached by deboer and only the only blocked FG FS surrendered all year and an injury at the weakest position FS had in terms of depth kept the final score from being significantly uglier

edit: Fresno ran like one trick play dude.  Double pass with josh hokit iirc.

16 hours ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

you seem to be equating "not embarrassingly bad" with "dominant" and i'm not sure why.    Your excuse for Houston giving up any points at all is that they got tired from being on the field all the time but until fresno state's first touchdown drive the houston defense wasn't on the field for more than three plays at a time.   

19 total offensive points in 12 drives is "not embarrassingly bad"??? & im talking about full game ware, and like i noted the defense was still playing good on your first td, the PI call was by chance, the break down happened in the end of the 3rd,. all because it isnt a shutout doesnt mean its bad..again im not saying this was just a fresno thing..it was a all our losses thing..the was even more evident in other games..if houston could have  gotten point, changed the moral of the games, given the defense rest..its a completely different ball game..texas tech is the team known for horrible defense and elite offense. houston literally kept them to 20 points in the 1st 3 quarters (7 of those pts were a turnover td) and still lost..the defense is projected better next year; the question will be how good is briles jr..

Houston's D was not dominating Fresno State until it got worn out. Come on man. Fresno State's offense had had a total of 12 plays before it was able to score and move the ball consistently. If Fresno State's 12 plays wore the UH D out, then UH either has a severe conditioning problem or FS was simply too physical for the Cougars, which is obviously not true. Both teams had some fluky plays but that's football. 

I buy that Houston may be elite next year, though I think it's less than likely to play out that way. I agree that Houston has pretty good talent for a G5 team also. But Houston was not dominating Fresno State until it got tired. 

11 hours ago, pesik said:

19 total offensive points in 12 drives is "not embarrassingly bad"??? & im talking about full game ware, and like i noted the defense was still playing good on your first td, the PI call was by chance, the break down happened in the end of the 3rd,. all because it isnt a shutout doesnt mean its bad..again im not saying this was just a fresno thing..it was a all our losses thing..the was even more evident in other games..if houston could have could have gottne point, changed the moral of the games, given the defense rest..its a completely different ball game..texas tech is the team known for horrible defense and elite offense. houston literally kept them to 20 points in the 1st 3 quarters (7 of those pts were a turnover td) and still lost..the defense is projected better next year; the question will be how good is briles jr..

the PI came at the houston nine yard line dude. Jesus.

13 hours ago, pesik said:

4) you didnt get a single 1st down till the very end of the 1st quarter 4 drives later..saying we traded punts, is trying to downplay it...i already acknowledged houstons offense was inept, so you saying "we did the same" isnt a point against our defense runing things...your sole td in the first half had negative rushing yards, the only reason you were able to score is a PI that put the ball on the 1 (both the DB and wr feet tripped each other by accident and both fell) and then it took you multiple tries to get in...you didnt score another TD till 3 mins left in the 3rd ... a note from statisticians: never trust data that doesnt start at zero..you started showing data when you thought you could start making it look good ..

you dont want to admit your own bias, but earlier you said fresno should have won by 33-13, saying houston got a trick play and the punt return td...ignoring that fresno tried WAY more trick plays than houston in that game.. and 1 of your tds was because 2 kick returns ran into each other on our 4yd line...a trick play isnt luck, blocked punt isnt luck...having two kick returners accidentally run into each other in a kick return and one of your guys just being there is luck..not even adding one of your tds was a pick 6 out of desperation late in the game (only scored 19 legitimate offensive points)  

you also weren't controlling it the whole game...late in the second half houston decided not to go for a 40yd fg (comfortable range for our kicker) to go for it on 4th down that failed...houston would have had a lead into half have they just taken the field goal..houston also forced a fumble in the early 3rd, that could have given us the lead...and it was 26-20 for fresno, houston with ball with 6mins to go in the 4th, and houston movingthe ball...it wasnt a game till the pick 6....

Translation:

giphy.gif

14 hours ago, pesik said:

19 total offensive points in 12 drives is "not embarrassingly bad"??? & im talking about full game ware, and like i noted the defense was still playing good on your first td, the PI call was by chance, the break down happened in the end of the 3rd,. all because it isnt a shutout doesnt mean its bad..again im not saying this was just a fresno thing..it was a all our losses thing..the was even more evident in other games..if houston could have could have gottne point, changed the moral of the games, given the defense rest..its a completely different ball game..texas tech is the team known for horrible defense and elite offense. houston literally kept them to 20 points in the 1st 3 quarters (7 of those pts were a turnover td) and still lost..the defense is projected better next year; the question will be how good is briles jr..

Whoa. See what happens when I go offline for a few months. Pesik emerges, speaking his "American" gospel. 

Welcome, Sir.