Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LaradiseCowboy

NY6 predictions by CBS Sports

Temple will again face the season without the best HC in its history and Temple went 2-5 in 2017 against opponents with a winning record yet CBS likes Temple as a possible NY6 participant? Yeah, THAT makes a lot of sense.

Boom goes the dynamite.

It's ridiculous that FAU is ranked so highly.  I checked https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_broadcasting_contracts_in_the_United_States  and, yes, CBS has a broadcast contract for CUSA games.

Temple is just batshit crazy.  Maybe Temple University's president/administration is of particular importance to CBS' strategy to acquire the AAC rights.  I don't think Temple demonstrated what they have returning in the same way that Fresno State did, nor does it appear that on paper they have better recruits than SDSU or CSU right now.  My crazy off the field theory is about as plausible as Temple being good based on what they had last year and what they have coming in.

Actually,  it's just another example of east coast biased sports journalism.  Philly is the #4 media market in the US  per this link https://www.newsgeneration.com/broadcast-resources/top-100-radio-markets/

2 hours ago, Bruininthebay said:

It's ridiculous that FAU is ranked so highly.  I checked https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_broadcasting_contracts_in_the_United_States  and, yes, CBS has a broadcast contract for CUSA games.

Temple is just batshit crazy.  Maybe Temple University's president/administration is of particular importance to CBS' strategy to acquire the AAC rights.  I don't think Temple demonstrated what they have returning in the same way that Fresno State did, nor does it appear that on paper they have better recruits than SDSU or CSU right now.  My crazy off the field theory is about as plausible as Temple being good based on what they had last year and what they have coming in.

Actually,  it's just another example of east coast biased sports journalism.  Philly is the #4 media market in the US  per this link https://www.newsgeneration.com/broadcast-resources/top-100-radio-markets/

Temple is trash.

No way is Temple going to be one of the challengers for the NY6 slot by midseason.

They're getting basically ND-like bias, where they're ranked 30+ spots higher than they're going to finish the season.

Besides, Temple is in Philly, and Philly is also trash.  Horrible, dirty city that makes NYC look clean and inviting.

On 6/18/2018 at 5:26 PM, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Temple will again face the season without the best HC in its history and Temple went 2-5 in 2017 against opponents with a winning record yet CBS likes Temple as a possible NY6 participant? Yeah, THAT makes a lot of sense.

i wouldnt put temple in the top 5, but everyone in this forum is severely underestimating temple and i can see not a single person here watched temple to know why they have some hype

last year was the first season of their head coach (his 1st time as a head coach) and it was the first year of their qb, who only played half the season

the qb (frank nutile) played in the last 6 games, and went 4-2. which included an OT loss to a decent army on his first ever college start, the only other loss was to UCF, includes blow out wins over navy and fiu, who are respectable (navy made the score look cleaner in the end)..

the premise is now coaches and player arent green anymore, and that they looked good to finish out the year. based progression they should be very good

1 minute ago, pesik said:

i wouldnt put temple in the top 5, but everyone in this forum is severely underestimating temple and i can see not a single person here watched temple to know why they have some hype

last year was the first season of their head coach (his 1st time as a head coach) and it was the first year of their qb, who only played half the season

the qb (frank nutile) played in the last 6 games, and went 4-2. which included an OT loss to a decent army on his first ever college start, the only other loss was to UCF, includes blow out wins over navy and fiu, who are respectable (navy made the score look cleaner in the end)..

the premise is now coaches and player arent green anymore, and that they looked good to finish out the year. based progression they should be very good

Going 2-5 against teams with winning records and beating Villanova by 3 and UMass by 8 isn’t impressive. 

56 minutes ago, Cincy said:

Going 2-5 against teams with winning records and beating Villanova by 3 and UMass by 8 isn’t impressive. 

so you read nothing i wrote lol

most of those losses were with another qb (marchi)...they were 2-2 with nutile....one being an OT losses on his first ever game...the other to the undefeated ucf.. while the 2 wins (and all the other wins under nutile were blowout wins)...

vill and umass were under a different qb/early in the season....

14 hours ago, JohnAdams said:

They got a good shot at a national championship.

In the future, sure.

This season? I don't think they're even predicted to make the FCS Playoffs.

1 hour ago, pesik said:

most of those losses were with another qb (marchi)...they were 2-2 with nutile....one being an OT losses on his first ever game...the other to the undefeated ucf.. while the 2 wins (and all the other wins under nutile were blowout wins)...

I don’t care who their QB was against Villanova and UMass. They were 5-6 and 4-8 respectively. If you can’t dominate those teams by just running the ball then GTFO of here. 

8 minutes ago, Cincy said:

I don’t care who their QB was against Villanova and UMass. They were 5-6 and 4-8 respectively. If you can’t dominate those teams by just running the ball then GTFO of here. 

does that matter if you are blowing decent teams out with a different personal....your entire point is based around a situation that wont be the case next year

in 2014 for houston john okorn started the year at qb and we lost to utsa in a blowout, it was utsa's first fbs year...greg ward took over mid-season and we beat a bunch of good teams (a memphis that finished top 25 and pitt in the bowl)..by your definition our 2015 season should have been bad becuase we couldnt dominate a weak utsa by running on them regardless of qb (ignoring the midseason changes) hint houston went 13-1 the next year (13-0 with greg ward playing)

3 minutes ago, pesik said:

does that matter if you are blowing decent teams out with a different personal....your entire point is based around a situation that wont be the case next year

in 2014 for houston john okorn started the year at qb and we lost to utsa in a blowout, it was utsa's first fbs year...greg ward took over mid-season and we beat a bunch of good teams (a memphis that finished top 25 and pitt in the bowl)..by your definition our 2015 season should have been bad becuase we couldnt dominate a weak utsa by running on them regardless of qb (ignoring the midseason changes) hint houston went 13-1 the next year (13-0 with greg ward playing)

I just find it hard to believe looking at a Temple team that went 7-6 last year is going to go undefeated or only lose one game this upcoming year. If you think they will, that’s great. I think it’s pretty far fetched. 

2 hours ago, pesik said:

Pea6! Pea6! Pea6!

Boom goes the dynamite.

3 hours ago, pesik said:

Was not aware of this. How many starters are they returning overall?

1 hour ago, JADogs05 said:

According to Phil Steele, just 10 overall. But don't tell pesik, he's a true believer.

Oh and FWIW, Steele has Houston at #63 in his Power Poll.

Boom goes the dynamite.

On 6/16/2018 at 6:57 PM, kingpotato said:

No clue... but they hired a good proven coach... that, like I said, always helps. Stick Lane Kiffen on any MAC team and he'd be doing well.

Now those two adjectives are debatable. What has he done that makes you say he's good or proven besides parlaying being Monte's son into jobs? He is a helluva great follow on twitter. That much I'll give him. Also, he has a hot wife. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

2 hours ago, JADogs05 said:

they lose a lot on defense but most dont see it as a major impact, their defense has lost players for the last few years and always stilll have a good defense..how good their offense is, is normally the deciding factor in how good they are... and most are predicitng one of the best temple offense in a long time 

here's bill c/sbnation indeptth preview, he has them finishing second in the AAC east, and 9 wins...

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/4/20/17237976/temple-football-2018-preview-schedule-roster

the real key for them in the ny6 convo will be Maryland, that will show how good they are...and their schedule is back loaded if they get past Maryland it could be 7-0

2 hours ago, JADogs05 said:

Houston does not belong that high up. They were alright but had a lot of holes. 

1 hour ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

According to Phil Steele, just 10 overall. But don't tell pesik, he's a true believer.

Oh and FWIW, Steele has Houston at #63 in his Power Poll.

houston should be elite next year imo, but im saying this with the knowledge that on most stat based projections houston shouldnt look that good

houstons defense is projected to be elite by everyone, but on a numbers level houston offense was bad last year and on top of that lost almost every offensive skill player, on paper our offense should be horrible...but like bill c noted in his houston preview, "change in OC" isnt measured by most computers, that his s/p+ is projecting a worse houston offense but that almost certainly wont happen..

briles jr is houston new OC who has had a total of 1 not top 10 offense in his entire career and that was the year the scandal hit (and it was still top 40).. FAU literally didnt have a qb last year, and still put up a top 10 offense on his first year there (houston has a qb)...a mixture of how good our defense is and what our OC has traditionally done houston will be fine

and random side note phil steeles preview of houston was done months ago..houston in the last 3 months alone has added 7 4star grad/ole miss waiver-ed transfers ..most magazines wont have an accurate depiction of houston