Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UofMTigers

ouch...

24 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

And you don't think UNLV could do that? The Stadium UNLV will be playing in will be one of the nicest in the county. 

they totally can...I'm just saying it's not random. you have to REALLY want it (and have boosters who REALLY want it too)

mem skyline sig.jpeg

20 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

they totally can...I'm just saying it's not random. you have to REALLY want it (and have boosters who REALLY want it too)

False. All it takes is one good football coach. On the flip side, all is takes is one bad one. Just ask ECU. Just ask UNM.

7 minutes ago, fanhood said:

False. All it takes is one good football coach. On the flip side, all is takes is one bad one. Just ask ECU. Just ask UNM.

I don't agree. Memphis went and got an AD who has deep Western football ties...I mean, look at Fuente from TCU, Norvell from ASU and our home-home football series with UCLA. We also went and got a Univ President who cares about football and has deep ties with our local Fortune 500 executives. (having boosters is VERY important)

hiring coaches isn't a guessing game...the trick is finding an AD who knows the up and comers and is willing to hire them.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

19 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

I don't agree. Memphis went and got an AD who has deep Western football ties...I mean, look at Fuente from TCU, Norvell from ASU and our home-home football series with UCLA. We also went and got a Univ President who cares about football and has deep ties with our local Fortune 500 executives. (having boosters is VERY important)

hiring coaches isn't a guessing game...the trick is finding an AD who knows the up and comers and is willing to hire them.

So you agree with me,, you just think there is one degree of separation. 

1 hour ago, fanhood said:

It takes both. Without a fan base that demands winning and an AD that is on board it is hard to get good coaching. Even if you do get lucky and make a nice hire they won't stick around very long. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

19 minutes ago, Bruininthebay said:

I'm just glad this thread isn't a video clip of Josh Rosen throwing a fourth quarter interception at the Liberty Bowl

That was a fun day indeed...The Liberty Bowl was rocking the whole game :-)

848037354.jpg

and just outside the stadium Cooper-Young Arts/Crafts festival was going on (which attracts like 60k)

cooper-young-festival-memphis-tn.jpg?v=1

11am Memphis time kickoff meant I could enjoy a big Tiger W and then go walk around CY fest for a few hours while traffic cleared out...it was great!

mem skyline sig.jpeg

3 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

I made this same argument in another thread. It didn't just happen accidentally. It's a total commitment. 

Say what you want. The AAC’s biggest asset is their location (for the most part the Eastern Time Zone) while the Mountain West’s biggest hurdles (without considering SJSU) are the Mountain and Pacific Time Zones.  Viewership is the factor constantly harped as the reason that they are perceived as the best.  With 8:00p start times in the Mountain or Pacific, east coast viewership is practically nonexistent.  Ponder that while you review the location of the Top 25 pollsters.  

On 6/16/2018 at 7:18 PM, soupslam1 said:

The AAC could have been a P6 if they had elected to expand west rather than east. When they added Tulane and East Carolina instead of CSU, Fresno State, or AF they killed the option of eastern and western divisions and BSU and SDSU left on an island had no other option but to bail. 

AAC was never going to be P6.  Every P6 has three things: history (merged in the case of the B12), at least one football and basketball blueblood and multiple AAU members (academic prestige isn't deciding, but it helps mostly in terms of having nationally spread out alumni).  No amount of shuffling the deck chairs was going to keep the AAC from sinking to G5 level.

SteelCityBlue

November 24th, 2018 at 9:10 PM ^

I'm looking forward to a new head coach who isn't a cud-chewing autistic retard.

Fair article yet I absolutely loved reading this passage, "This is completely Thompsons fault."

Concur COMPLETELY!