Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UofMTigers

ouch...

It's pretty obvious the lest couple of years it's been AAC. That's not "ouch." The big 3 in basketball were down. Boise had a couple mediocre years in football and typically good programs in Fresno and UNR were way down. Before that is was neck-and-neck year in and year out. 

The pendulum seems to be swinging, though. Boise is the team to beat in the G5 footbal world, again, and UNR will be the cream in basketball (at least, between those two conferences). Fresno seems to be poised to get back into the national spotlight in football, while New Mexico and SDSU seem to be ready to get back to some of their former highs in basketball. 

In the end it is a fairly small sample size. The AAC's uptick just happened to coincide with the MW down tick. If three years down the road it still looks the same, we might need to re-evaluate. 

I kinda expect our beat writers to defend the conference but yeah, I agree.

I also agree about the sample size...AAC has only been around 5 seasons now.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

2 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

I kinda expect our beat writers to defend the conference but yeah, I agree.

I also agree about the sample size...AAC has only been around 5 seasons now.

Damn, just think if you could’ve kept BSU and SDSU in the fold...😁

Just now, dshawfan said:

Damn, just think if you could’ve kept BSU and SDSU in the fold...😁

I never really liked that idea. But I did like the idea of the MWC adding Gonzaga...that would have helped the MWC a lot.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

There is an opinion piece on CBS Sports about the top 5 teams to go to the Access Bowl, the Top 2 choices are Memphis and Boise St. Central Florida, Temple and Florida Atlantic were also mentioned in the article.

57 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

I never really liked that idea. But I did like the idea of the MWC adding Gonzaga...that would have helped the MWC a lot.

Some Boise and SDSU fans wouldn't have been happy.  Since it was set to be a fb-only arrangement, they had to put their basketball programs elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, jdgaucho said:

Some Boise and SDSU fans wouldn't have been happy.  Since it was set to be a fb-only arrangement, they had to put their basketball programs elsewhere. 

Glad we are in the MWC.  The AAC board is garbage, I would be so bored while shitting and bathing.  Any G5 conference without Fresno and Reno is not one I would wish to be a part of.

Guest #1Stunner
3 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

The AAC dominance is reflected in the fact that they simply have more and better markets to recruit in their conference footprint.

Florida

Texas

Louisiana

North Carolina

Ohio

Philadelphia

(the other AAC other markets aren't as big of a deal).   

Those cities/states (shoutout to @Loboblast ) are significantly bigger than the MWC markets.  Basically, the MWC is all fighting for recruits in California.  Maybe also a somewhat in Hawaii and Denver.  MWC simply doesn't have as much access to as many good recruiting areas.

Unless the MWC adds 2 Texas schools, I see the AAC continuing to be the stronger conference in football, and especially in basketball.

1 hour ago, BoiseStateOfMind said:

The Learfield Cup standings tell a different story:

That's right - the so-called "Power 6" AAC can't even do better than the MAC, let alone Hair Thompson's conference.

Image result for jim carrey can you feel it gif

Not gonna bother to reach the alleged ouch. The nBE was briefly positioned to create a national conference which would have been just below the B12 in quality and which would have been vastly superior to any of the present so-called "Group of's." But the nBE completely clusterphucked that opportunity so regardless of what a few pundits may say and how much those guys want to pat themselves on the back, the amount of respect I have for that conference is absolute zero

Boom goes the dynamite.

Conference strength is cyclical, and right now the AAC is a better conference as a whole.  But the top of the MWC is very comparable to the top of the AAC.  I am more worried about the MWC losing the Vegas bowl (potentially, but almost certain), than I am about the power cycle of a rival conference.  Now if the power balance remains in the AAC's favor for another 3 years or so, then I would be very concerned.

As for BSU in the AAC, I have no problem with it as long as it is a full membership.  I do not like the idea of splitting football from the rest of the athletic department, but I understand the AD's concerns for travel costs.  That's why I think if any teams were to go to the AAC it would probably be a group of four teams but that would make the AAC a 16-team conference, and I would understand if they were not keen of expanding to such a state unless they were jettison UCONN or Tulane or some such. But that seems just as unlikely. I could see UCONN leaving of their own volition, but who knows if the AAC would back fill them with a western team or simply add with any willing team from CUSA. I think the AAC is pretty content where they are until the next round of expansion kicks off in 4-5 years.

24570143_BSUBACKGROUNDBANNERANDY1AWELCOME.png.5fa1e131a0fec4c26c0be2f4d0a420eb.png

망치를 가진 남자에게는, 모든것이 못처럼 보인다.

원숭이도 나무에서 떨어진다.

The AAC could have been a P6 if they had elected to expand west rather than east. When they added Tulane and East Carolina instead of CSU, Fresno State, or AF they killed the option of eastern and western divisions and BSU and SDSU left on an island had no other option but to bail. 

18 hours ago, MAD MACGYVER said:

Conference strength is cyclical, and right now the AAC is a better conference as a whole.  But the top of the MWC is very comparable to the top of the AAC.  I am more worried about the MWC losing the Vegas bowl (potentially, but almost certain), than I am about the power cycle of a rival conference.  Now if the power balance remains in the AAC's favor for another 3 years or so, then I would be very concerned.

As for BSU in the AAC, I have no problem with it as long as it is a full membership.  I do not like the idea of splitting football from the rest of the athletic department, but I understand the AD's concerns for travel costs.  That's why I think if any teams were to go to the AAC it would probably be a group of four teams but that would make the AAC a 16-team conference, and I would understand if they were not keen of expanding to such a state unless they were jettison UCONN or Tulane or some such. But that seems just as unlikely. I could see UCONN leaving of their own volition, but who knows if the AAC would back fill them with a western team or simply add with any willing team from CUSA. I think the AAC is pretty content where they are until the next round of expansion kicks off in 4-5 years.

It's cyclical to a point. Certain programs/conferences will be predominantly more up than down and vice versa. But yeah, for a good decade+ Air Force was the dominant service academy, but Navy has held that for a good portion of this decade. You also have a program that has been terrible forever in Memphis that is having record years for their program. If Air Force were still tickling top-25 status and a program like UNLV was the one that improved instead of Memphis, the two conferences would look very, very different. That's not a far fetched thing to see happen.  

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

The AAC could have been a P6 if they had elected to expand west rather than east. When they added Tulane and East Carolina instead of CSU, Fresno State, or AF they killed the option of eastern and western divisions and BSU and SDSU left on an island had no other option but to bail. 

They wouldn't have been a P6 no matter what they did or what they do in the future.  

16 hours ago, kingpotato said:

It's cyclical to a point. Certain programs/conferences will be predominantly more up than down and vice versa. But yeah, for a good decade+ Air Force was the dominant service academy, but Navy has held that for a good portion of this decade. You also have a program that has been terrible forever in Memphis that is have record years for their program. If Air Force were still tickling top-25 status and a program like UNLV was the one that improved instead of Memphis, the two conferences would look very, very different. That's not a far fetched thing to see happen.  

thing is, Memphis getting good wasn't an accident. We hired a football first AD, and poured money into football while simultaneously talking the City into spending 30 million to update the Liberty Bowl.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

27 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

thing is, Memphis getting good wasn't an accident. We hired a football first AD, and poured money into football while simultaneously talking the City into spending 30 million to update the Liberty Bowl.

And you don't think UNLV could do that? The Stadium UNLV will be playing in will be one of the nicest in the county.