Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

madmartigan

USU, UNLV make Phil Steele's most improved Teams list

Do either of them play Notre Dame? 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

4 hours ago, RogueStout said:

Nevada should be a lot better this year as well imho. Very surprised they aren't on there in place of UNLV.

I think the national media is really missing the boat on Nevada being significantly improved. I do expect USU and UNLV to be better, but it won't necessarily show in the W/L record...I'd be somewhat surprised if either won more than one additional game than they were able to win last year during the regular season. With Nevada, I believe they will win 3 to 4 more games than they did last year, hence they will be much more improved in a tangible sense.

7 hours ago, kingpotato said:

I get mocked a bit on this board for being a stats guy, but numbers can tell you a lot. Utah State got overshadowed, defensively, a bit by Fresno, Boise, SDSU, and Wyoming last year. But, numbers wise, the baggies were pretty close to those schools defensively and return a pretty solid front 7. I'm probably putting too much faith in Love, but he should be better as a SO and all the other contenders in the SEC Mountain are breaking in new QBs, sans Boise (I don't count Wortham, AFA, he's terrible).  USU is frustrating to watch sometimes. They have a tendency to vomit all over themselves when they have games in hand. One of these years they are going to have those things break for them instead of against them. Why not this year, huh? 

Last year I had Fresno as the #2 team in the West despite the 1 win season the year prior because they had the best defense outside of San Diego and while they were horrible offensively the year before, they had 10 starters back and a proven offensive/QB coach. I also had Hawaii taking a dive. They had the worst defense in the conference and were outscored by almost 10 ppg the year before. It made absolutely no sense that they had a winning record the year prior. 

Oh friend, USU is defined by vomiting all over themselves when games are in hand. It has always been so. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

18 hours ago, KingBronco said:

I think the national media is really missing the boat on Nevada being significantly improved. I do expect USU and UNLV to be better, but it won't necessarily show in the W/L record...I'd be somewhat surprised if either won more than one additional game than they were able to win last year during the regular season. With Nevada, I believe they will win 3 to 4 more games than they did last year, hence they will be much more improved in a tangible sense.

i mean this makes sense, because USU and UNLV are closer to their win cap in the first place, absent a legitimate jump into the top 40 domain of SDSU/Fresno/BSU.  Nevada only won 3 games last year and none of those was their FCS game, and they lost two more games by 2 points and 3 points respectively. 

if the MWC winner doesn't make the access bowl then imo there's definitely going to be a 6 or 7-win MWC team staying home during bowl season - feels like the middle of the league will self-cannibalize and we'll end up with like 4 teams between 6 and 8 wins.  If it's mathematically possible, i'm too lazy to pore over the schedules right now.

15 hours ago, jackmormon said:

For some reason I’m feeling a tingling in my nether regions...

Chris Matthews self-doxx

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

On 6/14/2018 at 5:31 PM, madmartigan said:

Oh friend, USU is defined by vomiting all over themselves when games are in hand. It has always been so. 

I had no rooting interest at the time, but I was sick watching the baggies lose to Auburn the way they did, after dominating the whole game (Chuckie Keeton's FR year). I hate to see the little guy lose games like that and the big school pull a win out of their ass.

17 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

I had no rooting interest at the time, but I was sick watching the baggies lose to Auburn the way they did, after dominating the whole game (Chuckie Keeton's FR year). I hate to see the little guy lose games like that and the big school pull a win out of their ass.

It wasn’t a flukey thing either. USU dominated the game physically for all but two minutes. USU was really dominating the lines In a big way. It is just what USU does though. Lose games they should win. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

13 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

It wasn’t a flukey thing either. USU dominated the game physically for all but two minutes. USU was really dominating the lines In a big way. It is just what USU does though. Lose games they should win. 

Where would you say the curb stomping you gave Boise would rate in all time USU wins?  Top 20?

I have never been more upset watching a game in my life.

23 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Where would you say the curb stomping you gave Boise would rate in all time USU wins?  Top 20?

In recent memory that one was big. Probably biggest in recent memory. The unfortunate thing is after that the team shet the bed the rest of the season so it looked even more flukey than it appeared and it appeared plenty flukey at the time even though I fully enjoyed it. Pumphrey and SDSU and Pumphrey proceeded to brutally gang bang us through the ass the next week. 

I still remember the pick six as the clock expired in the first half. Unbelievable, I have never seen a team self destruct like Boise did that first half. I think they waltzed in thinking it would be easy and the mistakes compounded. Perfect storm really. 

My main point here is: #fireharsin

56 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

Agreed. Auburn couldn't move the ball the whole game... until the very end.

42 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

FLUKE!

Seriously, though, seven TO's in a half and eight in the first 31 minutes by any team against anyone is an anomaly. If the teams would have played again that year, the result would have been very different. Maybe Utah State would still come out the winner, but it wouldn't have looked anything like that. Just one those games that Harsin seems to have every year.

#fireharsin