Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

madmartigan

USU, UNLV make Phil Steele's most improved Teams list

USU has never won any preseason awards. I await either @kingpotato or @halfmanhalfbronco presenting USU this one as the kings of preseason awards. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

3 hours ago, madmartigan said:

USU has never won any preseason awards. I await either @kingpotato or @halfmanhalfbronco presenting USU this one as the kings of preseason awards. 

He must've been reading my posts on this board. I've been trumpeting the baggie horn for a couple months now. They'll be the surprise team of the conference this year. 

9 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

He must've been reading my posts on this board. I've been trumpeting the baggie horn for a couple months now. They'll be the surprise team of the conference this year. 

I’m impressed by how closely you follow other MW squads. I follow boise and CSU closely. Some times SDSU but I couldn’t tell you more than two players from other rosters. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

13 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

I’m impressed by how closely you follow other MW squads. I follow boise and CSU closely. Some times SDSU but I couldn’t tell you more than two players from other rosters. 

I get mocked a bit on this board for being a stats guy, but numbers can tell you a lot. Utah State got overshadowed, defensively, a bit by Fresno, Boise, SDSU, and Wyoming last year. But, numbers wise, the baggies were pretty close to those schools defensively and return a pretty solid front 7. I'm probably putting too much faith in Love, but he should be better as a SO and all the other contenders in the SEC Mountain are breaking in new QBs, sans Boise (I don't count Wortham, AFA, he's terrible).  USU is frustrating to watch sometimes. They have a tendency to vomit all over themselves when they have games in hand. One of these years they are going to have those things break for them instead of against them. Why not this year, huh? 

Last year I had Fresno as the #2 team in the West despite the 1 win season the year prior because they had the best defense outside of San Diego and while they were horrible offensively the year before, they had 10 starters back and a proven offensive/QB coach. I also had Hawaii taking a dive. They had the worst defense in the conference and were outscored by almost 10 ppg the year before. It made absolutely no sense that they had a winning record the year prior. 

14 minutes ago, RogueStout said:

Nevada should be a lot better this year as well imho. Very surprised they aren't on there in place of UNLV.

That surprised me as well. Fully expect the Nevada offense to be as potent as any in the conference.

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

1 hour ago, RogueStout said:

Nevada should be a lot better this year as well imho. Very surprised they aren't on there in place of UNLV.

Maybe it's like that moron who seemed to mistake UNLV for Nevada in his basketball prediction last year.

42 minutes ago, NWRebel said:

We improved just by firing our DC.

33 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

UNLV hould have a pretty darn good offense next season. The defense? Not sure it could be worse than it was.

The defense is already much better, and how many close games did we lose because Baer couldn’t/wouldn’t  teach them how to tackle, or even rush the passer. I don’t think we’ll see that with Skip.

Skip is recruiting MUCH better, as well. Might take a minute, but already improved. 

7 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

The defense is already much better, and how many close games did we lose because Baer couldn’t/wouldn’t  teach them how to tackle, or even rush the passer. I don’t think we’ll see that with Skip.

Skip is recruiting MUCH better, as well. Might take a minute, but already improved. 

The one thing that still has me puzzled is something Sanchez said about our defense and pass rushing.  He said something like we wouldn't be doing it all the time and that we would pick games that we would do it.  For Sanchez to say something like that is very strange to me.  I want us to pass rush whenever it's called for.  I don't want it to just be used for certain games.  It's too ridiculous.  But, that is Rebel football. 

1 minute ago, NWRebel said:

The one thing that still has me puzzled is something Sanchez said about our defense and pass rushing.  He said something like we wouldn't be doing it all the time and that we would pick games that we would do it.  For Sanchez to say something like that is very strange to me.  I want us to pass rush whenever it's called for.  I don't want it to just be used for certain games.  It's too ridiculous.  But, that is Rebel football. 

Yeah I’m curious to see how much better the defense is, and if it were mostly Baer calling the shots, or if Sanchez was actually behind that. Sitting on the front row I am watching what’s happening on the sidelines as well as what’s going on in the game, and so far Sanchez has stayed away from the huddles and let his coordinators call the shots. I guess we will see soon enough if the new DC will make a difference, but if it’s the same old conservative defensive play then that is on Sanchez.

7 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

I think I read some stats that put last year's D as one of the worst in the country (specifically points allowed and rushing if I remember correctly). I think Skip will be an improvement, but it is still going to take a couple of seasons to get the personnel. I think the issue runs deeper than just coaching/development. We are getting the guys on offense, but really don't have talent on the defense and haven't under Sanchez. That's gonna take some time to work through. I'm not very bullish on our defense next season, and again, I think that could be what holds us back from getting to a bowl.

1 minute ago, NWRebel said:

Agree on this, plus he has basically said every season that we just need to outscore the opponent. :blink:

And agree on the pass rush. I honestly just wonder whether Sanchez just doesn't really know defense. He certainly seems to have an offense first mentality.

2 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

Yeah I’m curious to see how much better the defense is, and if it were mostly Baer calling the shots, or if Sanchez was actually behind that. Sitting on the front row I am watching what’s happening on the sidelines as well as what’s going on in the game, and so far Sanchez has stayed away from the huddles and let his coordinators call the shots. I guess we will see soon enough if the new DC will make a difference, but if it’s the same old conservative defensive play then that is on Sanchez.

I agree.  I've read where Skipper said he wants to be more aggressive.  He wants to make the QB as uncomfortable as we can.  That is exactly what I want to hear.  But, when I read Tony saying that about using pass rush in certain games that to me sounds too weird.