Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BSUTOP25

Things your boss does to annoy you rant thread ...

I've been reporting to the same person for almost 5 years now and I'm to the point now where I'm going to start exploring my options once I return to the US. It's been a tolerable relationship most of the time but she does some things that absolutely drive me nuts. So I thought we could collectively start an annoying boss trait rant thread for those times when we just need to get things off our chest in a safe and anonymous environment. 

Therefore, I'll kick things off with these three bad habit/traits that I can't stand about my direct manager:

1. She publicly belittles people in group meetings with both her tone and choice of words which serves no purpose and is in my opinion unprofessional. 

2. She is wildly inconsistent in her approach to dealing with projects and people -- nobody really knows what mood she is going to be in on any particular day. She can be collaborative, fun, and inspiring on Monday but then be antagonistic, belittling, and bitter on Tuesday, even if nothing work related had changed. 

3. She is a notorious backstabber with regard to her peers as well as mine that also report into her. I am often put into very uncomfortable situations when she starts going off about people I work with. She picks up on this and even stated in my last review that I need to work on becoming more savvy and outspoken when it comes to org politics -- no fvcking joke. 

Anyway, she has her good traits as well and I'm compensated enough to where I'm not yet desperate enough to escape at any cost, I can take my time. But I will confess that yesterday afternoon she triggered me during a group conference call and that left me fuming for the rest of the evening.

That all said, anyone else care to share some annoying boss traits? The MWCBoard OT forum is our safe space for this type of thing. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

Sounds very familiar to my boss...

Mine also encourages "telling on" other co-workers if you see them doing something wrong.  She tries to fix small problems with a sledgehammer instead of a scalpel and may fix the original problem but ends up "breaking" a lot more.

She hasn't done this directly to me, but she's threatened number of other pharmacists that if they don't do something they can easily be replaced. Definitely makes you feel appreciated. Moving to this market my desire to go above and beyond had been snuffed out by her. Now I just work to live. Do only what's  necessary and make money so I can go enjoy life not at work.

27 minutes ago, Stealthlobo said:

Mine also encourages "telling on" other co-workers if you see them doing something wrong.  She tries to fix small problems with a sledgehammer instead of a scalpel and may fix the original problem but ends up "breaking" a lot more.

She hasn't done this directly to me, but she's threatened number of other pharmacists that if they don't do something they can easily be replaced. Definitely makes you feel appreciated. Moving to this market my desire to go above and beyond had been snuffed out by her. Now I just work to live. Do only what's  necessary and make money so I can go enjoy life not at work.

That is the #1 consequence companies face when their employees are disgruntled. I also read an article lately and have heard it elsewhere that approximately 9/10 people who change jobs do it because they hated their boss. 

2 hours ago, Stealthlobo said:

There is nothing wrong with working to live instead of living to work.  Our culture promotes the opposite by glorifying the rich and famous, 60-80 hour work weeks in certain industries just to keep up, but it's the simple things in life that really matter.  I'd rather have my evenings free for family, friends, and hobbies.  You only get one shot at this life.  

I feel fortunate, my boss is pretty good, but he does have one trait that drives me insane.  I have a 1 on 1 with him over the phone every week to discuss things.  It's essentially a job interview.  Very little to no small talk, No, "hey how's your family, how was your weekend, did you watch that game?"  It's an hour of what are you working on, how are you adding value to the company, what did you learn, what do you need to improve?"  For every 100 words I utter, I get an ""uh-huh, what else is going on"  I spend 2-3 hours preparing for my 1 on 1 every week just to fill the time and trying to impress.  Meanwhile, he's writing down everything I say so he can re-visit it if he needs to at a future date.  That hour is stressful and exhausting, like a cold job interview.  I guess I'll take that over the alternatives.  

1 hour ago, nomascows said:

Ironically, if bosses produced a similar list, employees wasting time online would probably be near the top of the list.

Shhh. You don't want to know what happened to the last guy who made @mugtang angry.

1 minute ago, NVGiant said:

Shhh. You don't want to know what happened to the last guy who made @mugtang angry.

That guy shared a fate similar to our emojis. One day he was just gone without warning. 

10 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

I feel fortunate, my boss is pretty good, but he does have one trait that drives me insane.  I have a 1 on 1 with him over the phone every week to discuss things.  It's essentially a job interview.  Very little to no small talk, No, "hey how's your family, how was your weekend, did you watch that game?"  It's an hour of what are you working on, how are you adding value to the company, what did you learn, what do you need to improve?"  For every 100 words I utter, I get an ""uh-huh, what else is going on"  I spend 2-3 hours preparing for my 1 on 1 every week just to fill the time and trying to impress.  Meanwhile, he's writing down everything I say so he can re-visit it if he needs to at a future date.  That hour is stressful and exhausting, like a cold job interview.  I guess I'll take that over the alternatives.  

Jesus man, I don't envy you with that. I'd go nuts. 

My main complaint right now is that she just tells me to make things happen, and when I tell her it's not possible, or beyond my ability, she just says to make it happen anyway. My current project is going to be the death of me, and I've been screaming for two months that I can't do this alone, but it wasn't until last week that she authorized me to use another member from our team, and he's has less aptitude on this than I do. My boss also undercut me on this project almost nine months ago when I said we needed to go through a full discovery on exactly what was necessary, and she went with the opinion of my now former co-worker over mine, and now that co-worker is gone and I'm left with a giant shit sandwich. 

2 hours ago, Del Scorcho said:

I used to have a 1 on 1 every week with my boss at my last company... but he worked in Boston, so it was somewhat necessary so he'd know what was going on. Fortunately though, he never made the meetings last longer than 30 minutes unless there was a lot of stuff that I needed to go over with him. It usually just turned into both of us bitching about the idiots in sales.

7 minutes ago, retrofade said:

I used to have a 1 on 1 every week with my boss at my last company... but he worked in Boston, so it was somewhat necessary so he'd know what was going on. Fortunately though, he never made the meetings last longer than 30 minutes unless there was a lot of stuff that I needed to go over with him. It usually just turned into both of us bitching about the idiots in sales.

same, he's in Minneapolis and I'm in Utah

1. Initiates Skype conference calls for about 11 people without a meeting agenda. We don't know what hes going to talk about. No items from his last meeting are discussed  unless he thinks of it or I bring it up.   because there are no agenda notes. Isn't that stuff "meeting 101"?

2. Yawns at least once  during his own meeting, Its uncanny. So freaking rude.

3. Token performance  reviews. I think he puts about 6 minutes of effort in to it.

cerified_Subarus.jpg

Oh another one... she constantly interrupts me during our weekly staff meetings when I'm trying to get through what I'm working on. Takes notes, ask questions when I'm done. She does it to the other members of the team as well. She also demonstrates that she doesn't really have any idea about what any of us really do because she's been so removed from that part of things for so long. She also makes us send an email every Thursday with what we worked on that week, and what our plans for the next week are. So essentially rehashing what our staff meeting the previous day was about. She's a decent boss, but she drives me insane sometimes. That being said, she's retiring in six weeks anyway, so I'm going to have to get used to an entirely new boss now. Yay.

Back when I had a real job, my boss had no understanding of what my job entailed and expected miracles. I wrote a lot of copy back then and he assumed that it took as long to write as it did to read. He literally asked for copy - not draft copy either, but final, ready-for-publication copy - for an entire section of our website at 4:59 on a Friday and then said “and make it quick because I need to get out here by 5:30.” 

I still tense up whenever I think about that smarmy bastard.

Just now, bluerules009 said:

Pretty simple solution to all these problems.

Be your own boss, lots of opportunities in this country, smart people have no need to be a wage slave.

Blues, you're dumb. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard.