Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

New NCAA rule blocks schools from preventing athletes from transferring

Beginning in October, Division I student-athletes will have the ability to transfer to a different school and receive a scholarship without asking their current school for permission.

The Division I Council adopted a proposal this week that creates a new “notification-of-transfer” model. This new system allows a student to inform his or her current school of a desire to transfer, then requires that school to enter the student’s name into a national transfer database within two business days. Once the student-athlete’s name is in the database, other coaches are free to contact that individual.
-----
The previous transfer rule, which required student-athletes to get permission from their current school to contact another school before they can receive a scholarship after transfer, was intended to discourage coaches from recruiting student-athletes from other Division I schools. The rule change ends the controversial practice in which some coaches or administrators would prevent students from having contact with specific schools. Conferences, however, still can make rules that are more restrictive than the national rule.

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/new-transfer-rule-eliminates-permission-contact-process

That’s a win for the Student Athlete. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 hour ago, mugtang said:

Not if the conferences have a rule that prohibits it. Just makes the conferences/schools the bad guys and not the NCAA. 

1 minute ago, Slapdad said:

Not if the conferences have a rule that prohibits it. Just makes the conferences/schools the bad guys and not the NCAA. 

Prohibiting in-conference transfers is probably all a conference would restrict. 

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

Wow. I think 4 games is  too many. I'd put the number at 2.....alas, no one asked me:(

With the real risk of injuries, I'm okay with this. Have always hated to see talented kids lose a season because they got hurt early. That,  and it allows your emergency freshman QB to retain a season after being thrown into a game for a quarter (this has happened). 

Need to monitor it's use though, I can see the opportunity for shenanigans.

34 minutes ago, battle.borne said:

Prohibiting in-conference transfers is probably all a conference would restrict. 

Probably....but you never know. I know the SEC rule currently leaves it up to the school/coach/AD for transfers to other SEC schools and Saban has taken a beating on that. 

Guest #1Stunner
2 hours ago, mugtang said:

A big win for BYU.

USU (BYU's farm team) is going to get hit hard by transfers, though.

3 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

So does this mean that if that any freshman that plays in four games or less gets a redshirt? Or do they have to have a season ending injury? 

They can play in up to 4 games and still retain an additional 4 years of eligibility.

A great idea IMO, especially for G5's.  Modern college football requires more players than back in the old days.  12 or 13 game seasons take a toll on roster health and you need a few more players available.  The alternative to letting players get some time as a freshman, especially when being used to cover injuries, is to raise the scholarship limit.  That would start pricing G5's out of business and further the artificial gap that has been created between the P5 and G5.

2 hours ago, Headbutt said:

They can play in up to 4 games and still retain an additional 4 years of eligibility.

A great idea IMO, especially for G5's.  Modern college football requires more players than back in the old days.  12 or 13 game seasons take a toll on roster health and you need a few more players available.  The alternative to letting players get some time as a freshman, especially when being used to cover injuries, is to raise the scholarship limit.  That would start pricing G5's out of business and further the artificial gap that has been created between the P5 and G5.

So just to be clear, this means that once a team knows it has no more then four games remaining on the schedule the floodgates open and all redshirts can play? If so, I like this new rule even more.

Really going to help teams at the end of the season when injuries mount.

"Everything that does not destroy you makes you stronger except Aztec Football "

Freddy Nietzsche

50 minutes ago, BacksThePack said:

So does a player have to announce intention to transfer or can Muss cold call every player in the country?

Now that would be chaos.  Coaches can't contact the player until his name is placed in the database by his current school, which they're required to do if he announces his intention.