Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Proposal to Split California into 3 States will be on the Ballot

9 hours ago, pokerider said:

No, I think California should be 3 states.   I don't see any other states splitting up right now, Texas never will.  

Forget about Puerto Rico though, they are not getting statehood. 

Just because you split doesn't mean the new states are granted statehood. I"d be against giving it to them.

Best thing would be for Trump to win in '20 and then Cali votes to succeed.

But Trump has to build NV a wall. We've taken in too many refugees from Cali as it is.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

10 hours ago, SharkTanked said:

Just secede the valley to Nevada. Coastal stays California. Would go a long way to fixing the Colorado River Compact mess.

The central valley? How would that fix anything related to the Colorado river?

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

9 hours ago, Lester_in_reno said:

most of the L.A. basin would then have to go to another 'state" to get at their water.

This has no chance.

They've been discussing this stuff for decades.

Most/much of LA's water comes from out of state now. Also, there's a big ass ocean full of it. Desal is a viable source.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

I'm voting for it for the entertainment value alone.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

1 hour ago, SDSUfan said:

Most/much of LA's water comes from out of state now. Also, there's a big ass ocean full of it. Desal is a viable source.

Actually a higher percentage of San Diego’s water is imported as compared to LA, and LA still gets a lot from the Owens Valley and the state water project. Typically more than 50% of San Diego’s imports are from the Colorado River.  Desal will be helping a lot soon, especially if the Rosarita plant gets built. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

5 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

This is of course a total waste of time.  No way the senate votes in a 2/3 majority to add 4 more democratic senators.

¿Wouldn't the SD/OC/BIG Valley State be red?

35 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Actually a higher percentage of San Diego’s water is imported as compared to LA, and LA still gets a lot from the Owens Valley and the state water project. Typically more than 50% of San Diego’s imports are from the Colorado River.  Desal will be helping a lot soon, especially if the Rosarita plant gets built. 

¿Are you talking about Rosarito in Baja...or is there a Rosarita project north-of-the-boarder?

¿If it's Rosarito, is Baja planning on selling h2o to SD Co?

Just now, GoState99755 said:

¿Are you talking about Rosarito in Baja...or is there a Rosarita project north-of-the-boarder?

Mexico. The Mexicans (the Baja water agency and TJ) are in the final stages of planning a 1MGD desal plant in Rosarito. They have an option to sell 500k GD to the Otay Water District on our side. I believe that will end up being leveraged for financing. I worked on all the permitting for the pipe on the US side. 

11 hours ago, GoState99755 said:

11 hours ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Mexico. The Mexicans (the Baja water agency and TJ) are in the final stages of planning a 1MGD desal plant in Rosarito. They have an option to sell 500k GD to the Otay Water District on our side. I believe that will end up being leveraged for financing. I worked on all the permitting for the pipe on the US side. 

The US getting water from Mexico.....has to be a joke in there somewhere!

17 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

¿Wouldn't the SD/OC/BIG Valley State be red?

Definitely. SD Co is very red outside the larger cities. Orange Co. is purple, but the Inland Empire and especially the southern Valley are dead red. 

2 hours ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

I realize the upfront cost is expensive but the long-term benefits of desal seem to justify the investment. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

18 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

I realize the upfront cost is expensive but the long-term benefits of desal seem to justify the investment. 

Yeah up front cost and it takes a lot of electrical power to force the sea water through the membrane. 

5 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Yeah up front cost and it takes a lot of electrical power to force the sea water through the membrane. 

Forgive me if this sounds stupid. But, what is powering the generators that feed power to the Desal? 

1 hour ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

Forgive me if this sounds stupid. But, what is powering the generators that feed power to the Desal? 

The two I’m familiar with, the recently completed plant in Carlsbad in northern San Diego Co. and the planned plant in Baja are directly adjacent to coastal LNG power plants, and in fact use the cooling water as the source water. If the latter is implemented and the water sale to the US goes through, SD Co would be getting approx. 20% of its water from desal.

12 hours ago, PokeTransplant said:

Might want to rename SoCal to SoGhetto.  Any state with Bakersfield AND Fresno would rival the West Virginias and Alabamas of the world.....

Not too late to rebrand to South California State (and North California State now!!!)