Jalapeno

2026 World Cup

Going to a 48 team event is going to make multi-country hosting almost a necessity for any but a scant few.  England and Germany - both have the existing stadia to do it.   The US certainly could, but didnt for other reasons.  After that the infrastructure requirements get tougher.  The 1st group out of the gate to host in '30 is a Argentina/Uruguay/Paraguay effort.  England is gearing up to make a bid, but even there UEFA has suggested adding Wales and Scotland is a possibility.

22 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

Vegas has been left out. Ridiculous, with a brand new stadium, and yet Cincinnati is in. and i heard a couple of guys on the radio saying they should put the two least marquis teams in Vegas, because they'd fill the stadium anyway. 

From what I heard on local radio, only stadiums that exist now can be considered.  Which is why LA used the Rose Bowl and Coliseum, instead of the venue the Rams and Chargers will share.

I wish Boise had made a bid.  Green looks good at Albertsons Stadium

stadium.jpg

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

From what I heard on local radio, only stadiums that exist now can be considered.  Which is why LA used the Rose Bowl and Coliseum, instead of the venue the Rams and Chargers will share.

Actually LV withdrew themselves from consideration. 

40 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

And SD didn't even submit a bid.

16 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

yeah, here's an article about it. https://www.reviewjournal.com/business/tourism/las-vegas-withdrew-bid-to-host-2026-world-cup/

Hill said the city would have been required to provide more than $100 million in improvements to host one or more preliminary-round group games.

Hill said among the requirements of the hosts were providing two outdoor venues — each capable of seating 20,000 people to watch every tournament game on a big screen at no cost. The city also would have had to provide secure world-class practice facilities shielded from the public to teams that would be competing in games played in Las Vegas.

Hill also noted that the six-week tournament occurs at a time of year when Las Vegas resorts already are at high occupancy with summer vacationers.

Hill said determining who would build those facilities and how were problematic and he felt he and Badain could not commit the community to those expenditures.

Not sure what facilities he's talking about that need building.  Put a video board in any public park or plaza and you're good to go.  Heck, in 2014 they used Copacabana Beach (and nobody was sitting).  Same kind of stuff they do for the Super Bowl,  Final Four and the Olympics.  And the practice facilities are fairly simple - the bid committee already identified over 100 locations, mostly local colleges or MLS/USL facilities.  Sounds like the real issue is bad timing, since LV doesnt have a sports authority so nobody's really in charge.

image.jpeg.da5457d41c05d3b840f7ae2efdb207b2.jpeg

I hope soccer hooligans are fighting and hurting each other...

Iceland draws with Argentina, I think I may just have jumped on the Iceland bandwagon. We need a Cinderella story to make the world cup more exciting and Iceland is the team to do it.

Mexico looking very good against Germany thus far, 1-0 late in the first half

11 hours ago, Lobo Amor said:

Iceland draws with Argentina, I think I may just have jumped on the Iceland bandwagon. We need a Cinderella story to make the world cup more exciting and Iceland is the team to do it.

Looked like they had 15 guys playing D; gave Argentina no breathing room when they had possesion 

5 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Okay guys, wrong thread.

Try WC 2018

Saw that, my apologies

• Like 1