Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jalapeno

2026 World Cup

13 minutes ago, misplacedcowboy said:

And, like the CONMEBOL teams that will miss out, that 7th CONCACAF team will be better than a lot of the Asian and African teams that make it.

Lol, no. CONCACAF’s 7th ranked team on Elo is Canada at 72. 9 Asian countries and 11 African countries rank higher Then that. CONCACAF is better then one federation; OFC.

9 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Lol, no. 

Asia didn't win a single match in 2014.

I don't think it's ridiculous to claim that lower ranked teams in CONCACAF would have a much easier chance of qualifying if they competed in the Africa or Asia region with 8 or 9 bids up for grabs

11 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Lol, no. CONCACAF’s 7th ranked team on Elo is Canada at 72. 9 Asian countries and 11 African countries rank higher Then that. CONCACAF is better then one federation; OFC.

Yeah, but we can't put too much stock in those rankings. I don't think either of us think the US one of the top 25 teams in the world right now and has IMPROVED their ranking over the past year despite not qualifying for the World Cup

22 minutes ago, misplacedcowboy said:

And, like the CONMEBOL teams that will miss out, that 7th CONCACAF team will be better than a lot of the Asian and African teams that make it.

I think CONCACAF deserves those proposed 6 bids much more that Asia and Africa deserve their 8 and 9

Africa has a lot more quality teams than concacaf. Ghana, Nigeria, Senegal, Ivory Coast, Cameroon, the nations along the med... they've all had success. Africa is a lot deeper than concacaf with quality teams. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

16 minutes ago, misplacedcowboy said:

Yeah, but we can't put too much stock in those rankings. I don't think either of us think the US one of the top 25 teams in the world right now and has IMPROVED their ranking over the past year despite not qualifying for the World Cup

Yea, the rankings aren’t perfect. But what makes you so confident that countries like Jamaica, Honduras, and Canada are better then the 6th-10th ranked countries in Africa or Asia? I think the fact that you regularly see different teams from those continents qualifying for the WC shows you that they have better depth. CONCACAF on the other hand has been dominated by Mexico, the US, and Costa Rica the last two decades. 

Here's the problem with comparing confederations.  The bulk of CONCACAF is made up of small islands with even smaller populations.  Even if you take into account economics, a lot of poor African and Asian countries would stomp the lower CONCACAF simply because they have a much deeper pool of talent to draw from.  And a lot of those island nations are pretty poor as well.  Curacao, the #9 team in CONCACAF (FIFA rankings) is the size of Providence, RI, and 184th in world GDP.  And soccer's not even the #1 sport there (they turn out a surprising number of baseball players). 

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

7 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Africa has a lot more quality teams than concacaf. Ghana, Nigeria, Senegal, Ivory Coast, Cameroon, the nations along the med... they've all had success. Africa is a lot deeper than concacaf with quality teams. 

Top end of CAF has some good teams with success. But looking at results under the current World Cup format of 32 teams (since 98), Africa has produced 6 knockout round participants while CONCACAF has had 9, despite Africa having 26 teams competing over that time compared to only 17 for CONCACAF

5 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Yea, the rankings aren’t perfect. But what makes you so confident that countries like Jamaica, Honduras, and Canada are better then the 6th-10th ranked countries in Africa or Asia? I think the fact that you regularly see different teams from those continents qualifying for the WC shows you that they have better depth. CONCACAF on the other hand has been dominated by Mexico, the US, and Costa Rica the last two decades. 

That's a good point. Under the current 32 team format, by my count Africa has had 12 different teams compete in the World Cup compared to only 7 for CONCACAF. 

I think CONCACAF has done more with less in terms of World Cup results (especially compared to Asia). Africa is definitely more competitive than Asia, sorry if I seemed to lump them together and put them on the same level

5 minutes ago, misplacedcowboy said:

Top end of CAF has some good teams with success. But looking at results under the current World Cup format of 32 teams (since 98), Africa has produced 6 knockout round participants while CONCACAF has had 9, despite Africa having 26 teams competing over that time compared to only 17 for CONCACAF

Yea, but you’re trying to say CONCACAF is deeper; how does Mexico, the US, and Costa Rica making a bunch of knockout round appearances prove that?

5 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Yea, but you’re trying to say CONCACAF is deeper; how does Mexico, the US, and Costa Rica making a bunch of knockout round appearances prove that?

Fair enough. I guess the US should have just followed through with their plan this year and hosted a "world cup" for all the losers who couldn't qualify. Then we could let the results decide which confederation deserves more bids in 2026!

14 minutes ago, RSF said:

Here's the problem with comparing confederations.  The bulk of CONCACAF is made up of small islands with even smaller populations.  Even if you take into account economics, a lot of poor African and Asian countries would stomp the lower CONCACAF simply because they have a much deeper pool of talent to draw from.  And a lot of those island nations are pretty poor as well.  Curacao, the #9 team in CONCACAF (FIFA rankings) is the size of Providence, RI, and 184th in world GDP.  And soccer's not even the #1 sport there (they turn out a surprising number of baseball players). 

All valid points. Personally what I would like to see is all the Caribbean islands forming their own federation and have their champion compete with the OFCs champion for a WC bid. Then you could have CONCACAF be 10 team federation with the US, Canada, Mexico, Costa Rica, Belize, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, and Panama. 

Now of course, that will never happen, but I think it’d be pretty cool.

2 hours ago, RSF said:

They'll be using grass.  They've used a grass field at the DeathStar (AT&T Stadium) before by simply laying grass over the artificial turf.  And in '94 they used a portable tray system in the Silverdome.  And if they had ended up in Phoenix (didnt make the last cut) that stadium has a retractable grass field.  

the location of the final hasnt been decided yet, either.  MetLife, AT&T and the Rose Bowl are all in play.  

It hasn't officially been announced that the final will be at MetLife, but sources have stated that the decision has been made already.

So if the US could have actually qualified on their own accord this time, would the US have gotten so many votes?   I think we can thank Bruce Arena for embarassing the US so FIFA would swing the votes to make sure the US actually makes the WC in '26.  The US is much needed in the WC for TV and $...    Buy the book, I'm sure he'll explain it was his plan all along. 

3 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I’m hoping they just give all three auto bids. Mexico and the U.S. will qualify anyway (U.S. would have qualified for this WC if CONCACAF had 6 bids), but it will be kind of lame for Canada to be a co-host and potentially be left out. 

¿REALLY...what are the USMNT's plans for this June/July?

2 hours ago, RSF said:

The location of the final hasnt been decided yet, either.  MetLife, AT&T and the Rose Bowl are all in play.  

¡VIVA el ROSE BOWL!

6 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Phuck the Rose Bowl, freaking ancient dump.

What's the Windex bill look like for your Glass House?

11978638.jpeg

13 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

What's the Windex bill look like for your Glass House?

11978638.jpeg

Was I comparing Mackay Stadium to the Rose Bowl? is Reno in the mix for a WC2026 game!

At least Mackay is easy to get to, easy to get into and out of, easy to get a beer, easy to take a leak, etc.