Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jalapeno

2026 World Cup

8 minutes ago, aggzilla said:

So all three countries qualify for the tournament. Will there be any slots available for other countries from the CONCACAF to get in?

Hasnt been decided yet.  CONCACAF will get additional slots because of the expanded field.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

15 minutes ago, aggzilla said:

So all three countries qualify for the tournament. Will there be any slots available for other countries from the CONCACAF to get in?

Well CONCACAF is getting 6 bids now with the larger field, so even if Mexico, the U.S., and Canada get auto bids that leaves the rest of CONCACAF to compete for 3 direct bids. Much better odds then the current setup where they have to contend with Mexico and the U.S. in competing for 3.5 bids. 

20 minutes ago, Bob said:

I thought Met Life had a turf field?

My understanding is that the bid took $30-40M into account to convert turf stadiums to grass for the tournament.

Here are the slots for the expanded field:

AFC: 8
CAF: 9
CONCACAF: 6
CONMEBOL: 6
OFC: 1
UEFA: 16
Playoff: 2

None of the hosts have been granted an automatic spot yet, as FIFA is still trying to determine how that will work out. But the scenario that @RSF laid out seems to be the most likely. 

I’m hoping they just give all three auto bids. Mexico and the U.S. will qualify anyway (U.S. would have qualified for this WC if CONCACAF had 6 bids), but it will be kind of lame for Canada to be a co-host and potentially be left out. 

1 minute ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I’m hoping they just give all three auto bids. Mexico and the U.S. will qualify anyway (U.S. would have qualified for this WC if CONCACAF had 6 bids), but it will be kind of lame for Canada to be a co-host and potentially be left out. 

Part of the bid included all three host countries playing on the opening day of the tournament to open it up. I'm sure they'll find a way to get Canada in.

conmebol gets the same number of bids as concacaf? doesn't that seem way off?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

55 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Well CONCACAF is getting 6 bids now with the larger field, so even if Mexico, the U.S., and Canada get auto bids that leaves the rest of CONCACAF to compete for 3 direct bids. Much better odds then the current setup where they have to contend with Mexico and the U.S. in competing for 3.5 bids. 

That makes sense. I was not aware that the field was going to be expanded to 48.

rsz_romney-stadium.jpg

Just now, misplacedcowboy said:

CONMEBOL getting 60% of their teams in the tournament compared to CONCACAF getting 15% of their teams in doesn't seem way off to me

The worst CONMEBOL team is better than the 5th place CONCACAF team. If it was based on competition all conmebol teams would get in and 5 concacaf teams would...

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

15 minutes ago, misplacedcowboy said:

CONMEBOL getting 60% of their teams in the tournament compared to CONCACAF getting 15% of their teams in doesn't seem way off to me

If CONMEBOL and CONCACAF merged and got 12 bids, South America probably gets 8-9 teams in. 

They'll be using grass.  They've used a grass field at the DeathStar (AT&T Stadium) before by simply laying grass over the artificial turf.  And in '94 they used a portable tray system in the Silverdome.  And if they had ended up in Phoenix (didnt make the last cut) that stadium has a retractable grass field.  

the location of the final hasnt been decided yet, either.  MetLife, AT&T and the Rose Bowl are all in play.  

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

31 minutes ago, happycamper said:

The worst CONMEBOL team is better than the 5th place CONCACAF team. If it was based on competition all conmebol teams would get in and 5 concacaf teams would...

That adds to 15.  :huh:

This time around that 5th team was the US.  I like our chances against several of the lower CONMEBOL teams - Venezuela sucks, we beat Paraguay and Ecuador in the 2016 Copa America, and these days Bolivia blows as well.  After that, things get tougher.

46 minutes ago, happycamper said:

And, like the CONMEBOL teams that will miss out, that 7th CONCACAF team will be better than a lot of the Asian and African teams that make it.

I think CONCACAF deserves those proposed 6 bids much more that Asia and Africa deserve their 8 and 9