Jalapeno

2026 World Cup

80 matches. 10 will be held in Canada, 10 in Mexico and 60 in the United States — including the final, at MetLife Stadium.

• Like 1

So all three countries qualify for the tournament. Will there be any slots available for other countries from the CONCACAF to get in?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, aggzilla said:

So all three countries qualify for the tournament. Will there be any slots available for other countries from the CONCACAF to get in?

Hasnt been decided yet.  CONCACAF will get additional slots because of the expanded field.

15 minutes ago, aggzilla said:

Well CONCACAF is getting 6 bids now with the larger field, so even if Mexico, the U.S., and Canada get auto bids that leaves the rest of CONCACAF to compete for 3 direct bids. Much better odds then the current setup where they have to contend with Mexico and the U.S. in competing for 3.5 bids. 

1 hour ago, retrofade said:

80 matches. 10 will be held in Canada, 10 in Mexico and 60 in the United States — including the final, at MetLife Stadium.

I thought Met Life had a turf field?

1 hour ago, RSF said:

Hasnt been decided yet.  CONCACAF will get additional slots because of the expanded field.

EDIt: misread your post

20 minutes ago, Bob said:

I thought Met Life had a turf field?

My understanding is that the bid took $30-40M into account to convert turf stadiums to grass for the tournament.

• Like 1

Here are the slots for the expanded field:

AFC: 8
CAF: 9
CONCACAF: 6
CONMEBOL: 6
OFC: 1
UEFA: 16
Playoff: 2

None of the hosts have been granted an automatic spot yet, as FIFA is still trying to determine how that will work out. But the scenario that @RSF laid out seems to be the most likely. 

11 minutes ago, retrofade said:

My understanding is that the bid took $30-40M into account to convert turf stadiums to grass for the tournament.

damn

I’m hoping they just give all three auto bids. Mexico and the U.S. will qualify anyway (U.S. would have qualified for this WC if CONCACAF had 6 bids), but it will be kind of lame for Canada to be a co-host and potentially be left out. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I’m hoping they just give all three auto bids. Mexico and the U.S. will qualify anyway (U.S. would have qualified for this WC if CONCACAF had 6 bids), but it will be kind of lame for Canada to be a co-host and potentially be left out. 

Part of the bid included all three host countries playing on the opening day of the tournament to open it up. I'm sure they'll find a way to get Canada in.

• Like 2

conmebol gets the same number of bids as concacaf? doesn't that seem way off?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Well CONCACAF is getting 6 bids now with the larger field, so even if Mexico, the U.S., and Canada get auto bids that leaves the rest of CONCACAF to compete for 3 direct bids. Much better odds then the current setup where they have to contend with Mexico and the U.S. in competing for 3.5 bids. 

That makes sense. I was not aware that the field was going to be expanded to 48.

23 minutes ago, happycamper said:

conmebol gets the same number of bids as concacaf? doesn't that seem way off?

CONMEBOL getting 60% of their teams in the tournament compared to CONCACAF getting 15% of their teams in doesn't seem way off to me

Just now, misplacedcowboy said:

CONMEBOL getting 60% of their teams in the tournament compared to CONCACAF getting 15% of their teams in doesn't seem way off to me

The worst CONMEBOL team is better than the 5th place CONCACAF team. If it was based on competition all conmebol teams would get in and 5 concacaf teams would...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, misplacedcowboy said:

If CONMEBOL and CONCACAF merged and got 12 bids, South America probably gets 8-9 teams in. 

They'll be using grass.  They've used a grass field at the DeathStar (AT&T Stadium) before by simply laying grass over the artificial turf.  And in '94 they used a portable tray system in the Silverdome.  And if they had ended up in Phoenix (didnt make the last cut) that stadium has a retractable grass field.  

the location of the final hasnt been decided yet, either.  MetLife, AT&T and the Rose Bowl are all in play.