Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GoState99755

UA, Nike, Adidas: ¿How much is your school making?

3 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

20.054 does not round to 2.1.

This is what @GoState99755 does not seem to understand.  He said they are "cashing checks 10% larger".  No you are not cashing checks.  You are paid in gear primarily and maybe get 8-12% of that in cash.  What would you rather have, 2 mil for your sports programs in UA gear or 2 mil in Nike gear?

No kid wants to play in Under Armour.  Right now Nike and Adidas are the two brands you can sell recruits on.  

I'd be surprised if any MWC school is getting more than 3-4% of their apparel contract in cash. I believe BSU received no monetary compensation during the first 4 years of their current deal with Nike and were only scheduled to receive 50k per year in cash during the final two years of the contract that is valued at something like 1.25 million per year.

A more interesting stat to track would be actual cash compensation from these apparel contracts...I suspect everyone in the MWC will be underwhelmed by those numbers. 

14 hours ago, GoState99755 said:

NOPE...I want to cash their checks.  

Let's see.  Do I want $$$ in the bank -or- a high Standard & Poor's rating for a company giving up FREE stuff.  I'm going with the CA$H all-day-long.

¡¡¡ CHA-CHING !!!

You understand how this works, right?  Not much cash involved.  cha ching my ass!  Especially considering your balance sheet with the huuuuugggee debt.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

50 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

Nevada signed their deal with Adidas last month, btw.

Thx for the additional info @Slapdad & @retrofade:

School       Ave-per-yr.    Signed         Brand
CSU............$2.2m............Dec 2015......UA
Hawai'i........$2.1m............July 2017......UA
boise cc......$2.0m............June 2018.....Nike
Nevada……$1.0m……….May 2018…...Adidas
CSUF……..$0.6m………..Spring 2018...Nike
CSUSJ........--n/a--............---???---.......Adidas

So if these contracts are based on TV eyeballs for football and hoops, someone needs to give UnderArmor a wake up nudge.   If it's about women's vball, then they got good properties. 

Clearly Nike has a clearer picture of  TV sports marketing. 

13 minutes ago, roughrider said:

So if these contracts are based on TV eyeballs for football and hoops, someone needs to give UnderArmor a wake up nudge.   If it's about women's vball, then they got good properties. 

Clearly Nike has a clearer picture of  TV sports marketing. 

Wyo switched to Adidas from Nike because we got more out of it.  I believe the issue Wyo had with Nike is that they only contributed football and men's and women's basketball.  Adidas did more than Nike, including every sport in our athletic dept.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

2 hours ago, pokebball said:

Wyo switched to Adidas from Nike because we got more out of it.  I believe the issue Wyo had with Nike is that they only contributed football and men's and women's basketball.  Adidas did more than Nike, including every sport in our athletic dept.

I hear ya.  Nike is fat.  They aren't eager to give more.   The argument we here as to why we stick with them for most likely less is that the players (football and hoops) prefer Nike gear. Not sure what to make of that. 

2 hours ago, roughrider said:

I hear ya.  Nike is fat.  They aren't eager to give more.   The argument we here as to why we stick with them for most likely less is that the players (football and hoops) prefer Nike gear. Not sure what to make of that. 

Also they cover all our sports. I think Club Level as well but not positive about that.

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

2 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

UA is old man attire. Kohl’s loves UA.

I don't keep up with any of this but wasn't UA the hot new thing just a few years ago?

My youngest boy still wants everything UA; he first started wearing their baseball apparel a few years ago.

My motto is: If I can't buy it at Costco, I don't need it.

7 minutes ago, RogueStout said:

Also they cover all our sports. I think Club Level as well but not positive about that.

Being aTop-50 Collegiate Licensing School makes it really hard to leave Nike. Being Top-50 gets you in to markets all across the country. Max market appeal is the goal as the money is made on the apparel sales and not the uniform contract number. If Boise ever drops out of the Top-50 they may look at that, but I don't ever see them leaving as long as they get Top-50 distribution. 

3 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

Then so is Nike. I have a number of dry fit types from both (it's hot and sweaty most of the time here ).

I buy both brands in the same size.  Chinese smedium.  Trying to look buff like Cantori. :shrug:

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

I don't keep up with any of this but wasn't UA the hot new thing just a few years ago?

My youngest boy still wants everything UA; he first started wearing their baseball apparel a few years ago.

I thought so too but have to confess my wardrobe is a lot more mtn bike brand centric and Adidas/Nike/UA don’t move the needle is that arena.

FWIW I think UA is a lot bigger with the hunting/fishing set these days (maybe?).

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

From an April article in the U-T:

"The athletic department’s Nike contract, which was recently extended through 2023-24 and provides $1.2 million worth of apparel each year, will remain unchanged."

The upside? Our mbb squad only one of only eight schools in the country (and the only institution in the West) to be a part of the Jordan Brand, joining Michigan, UNC, and Florida, among others.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

22 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Oh no, there is.  UA is the joke brand for prospects.  It is Nike and Adidas right now.  

But really it’s just Nike 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

On 6/13/2018 at 2:39 PM, NevadaFan said:

¿If that is true, why don't they sponsor YBU sports?  The rosters at The-Y are full of old men w/kids & mini-vans.

7 hours ago, kingpotato said:

Being aTop-50 Collegiate Licensing School makes it really hard to leave Nike. Being Top-50 gets you in to markets all across the country. Max market appeal is the goal as the money is made on the apparel sales and not the uniform contract number. If Boise ever drops out of the Top-50 they may look at that, but I don't ever see them leaving as long as they get Top-50 distribution. 

This is exactly it. When he's not dreaming about underage girls, GoState90210!!!!! can have his delusions about CSU athletics having a higher market value than Boise State based off UA's contract ... but fact of the matter is Nike has much better distribution and brand appeal. Boise State leverages Nike in both recruiting and apparel sales and it's benefiting the school. In other words, it’s worth it for Boise State to take a little less money in order to take advantage what Nike brings to its athletic department.

UA was hot a few years ago and they still have strong brand appeal but Adidas is rapidly catching up to them IMO. Let's look at it this way:

UA's most notable school associations are with Auburn, Notre Dame, and UCLA

Adidas has Kansas, Miami, and Nebraska

Nike has Alabama, Clemson, Michigan, Texas, and just about every other major college brand

So yes, as evidenced from their deal with Notre Dame a few years ago, UA offers more money in order to penetrate and expand their presence in the college sports market. But their expenditure in this effort is not the singular measure of a particular school's market value. If it were, you'd probably see far more Notre Dame and UCLA gear in airports than Alabama, Michigan, or Texas. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg